Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2022, 10:27 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Parasite. 1982.

In a post-apocalyptic USA, a scientist is infected with a strange parasite and heads to a small town where it's unleashed.

This one I have only seen snippets off, for a early 80s film this wasn't too bad even for a Charles Band film that was made in 3-D and early screen performance by Demi More. The plot itself is simple, and always have a punk group wannabe that end up being the stupidest people to survive a nuclear war and become victims of a internal parasite breeding ground in their bodies. Entertaining enough to watch.

Attachment 240875
The poster looks like one of those Nigerian release posters
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th June 2022, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Shallows (2016)

A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, stranded and alone (except for Steven Seagull) a battle for survival ensues.

I have to say i love this film. Tonight was my fourth viewing of it (Twice on dvd and now twice on Blu-ray) Basically a one woman show with that woman being the lovely Blake Lively. The whole experience lived or died on her performance and i have to say she was tremendous.

I can't remember a thriller which grabbed me like this did and refused to let go, never did my attention wander and the slim 82 minutes run time flew by. After a fairly bouncy opening few minutes the film turns horribly bleak following the first shark attack. Nail biting tension and some scenes of stomach turning gore hit hard. In fact i'm cringing just typing this out as i think back to what happened.

Director Jaume Collet-Serra makes the most out of the single location with excellent cinematography making the film feel so claustrophobic even though it's shot in a wide open space with beautiful clear water and exotic surroundings.

I honestly think this is the best shark movie since Jaws, which incidentally i'll be watching for the first time in HD this Saturday - Fourth of July weekend at Amity Island has taken a hell of a long time to come round since buying the Blu last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shallows.jpg (54.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th June 2022, 10:37 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Shallows (2016)

A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, stranded and alone (except for Steven Seagull) a battle for survival ensues.

I have to say i love this film. Tonight was my fourth viewing of it (Twice on dvd and now twice on Blu-ray) Basically a one woman show with that woman being the lovely Blake Lively. The whole experience lived or died on her performance and i have to say she was tremendous.

I can't remember a thriller which grabbed me like this did and refused to let go, never did my attention wander and the slim 82 minutes run time flew by. After a fairly bouncy opening few minutes the film turns horribly bleak following the first shark attack. Nail biting tension and some scenes of stomach turning gore hit hard. In fact i'm cringing just typing this out as i think back to what happened.

Director Jaume Collet-Serra makes the most out of the single location with excellent cinematography making the film feel so claustrophobic even though it's shot in a wide open space with beautiful clear water and exotic surroundings.

I honestly think this is the best shark movie since Jaws, which incidentally i'll be watching for the first time in HD this Saturday - Fourth of July weekend at Amity Island has taken a hell of a long time to come round since buying the Blu last year.
The first time i watched the Jaws blu ray it seriously blew my mind it looks amazing.
Old 29th June 2022, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
The first time i watched the Jaws blu ray it seriously blew my mind it looks amazing.
Excellent.
Old 30th June 2022, 12:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I remember being really impressed by the AV quality on the Blu-ray disc and even more so on the 4K Ultra HD one. Jaws is a brilliant film and there is a lot of detail on the original film that's been extremely well transferred to disc.

I agree with Demdike's view of The Shallows – it's a gripping and visceral film with an outstanding central performance from Blake Lively and superb visual effects.

They are both overdue a rewatch, so perhaps suitable viewing for a double bill this weekend.
Old 30th June 2022, 01:37 PM
Cult Veteran

I’m going to jump on the Jaws train this weekend too, I have the 4k disc to watch that I picked up in a multi buy offer last year!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th June 2022, 06:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Unleashed. 2005.

A mobster has a man Danny trained to be like a dog and fight when he removes a collar, Danny has a change of heart after car crash and goes in search of a blind man he once met.

A trained prize pit bull fighter in the form of a man played Jet Li and owned by mobster Bob Hoskins working in and around Glasgow and if his clients don't pay up he unleashes his dog. Morgan Freeman plays the blind piano tuner Sam living with his step-daughter Victoria played by Kerry Condor and they both show Danny how life should be with the help of music.

Although there is good fights scenes that are greatly choreographed and well executed with a three on one pool fight with Scott Adkins almost having his ass handed to him, there is also a nice bit of drama of discovering who you actually are and re-connecting with life. From start to finish the acting has always been good, a film that I have grown fond of.

512lIJpCV8L._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 30th June 2022, 09:26 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMjU0YjBkOTEtNTVhNy00MDllLTkyNzktYzdhYTJmOGI5NWQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

The host of a game show that gives prison inmates the chance to win prizes for their families or get executed live on tv is one of the most hated people in town. When a hitman shows up to the office a very unlikely team up is on the cards when the number one critic of the show must band together with the host to save both their lives when she is caught up in the hit.

I was hoping for a low budget Running man but what i got was a very very poor wannabe comedy. I didn't even smile once honestly it was more annoying than anything else and of the kills on the show were never shown the music was irritating throughout i wasnt too concerned with the bad acting i wasn't expecting anything else. I like stupid films i can have fun with them but this was too stupid even for me.
Old 30th June 2022, 09:30 PM
Cult Master

Not seen Jaws in 4K yet i can only imagine how good it looks.
Old 30th June 2022, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Not seen Jaws in 4K yet i can only imagine how good it looks.
Jumping in 4K when Ben Gardner's head appears out of the boats hull.
Nordicdusk likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!