Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2022, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Seventh Curse

When a Doctor saves a woman from a Worm Tribe, he is cursed and has to return to find a cure.

I have no idea how to describe this, it's bonkers, you get some crappy creature effects along with some good gore and some Martial Arts along with a casual scene where Children are sacrificed (Only in Asia) It's short but the dubbed version is 3 minutes shorter (Don't know why) it's definitely worth a watch.

This is one Film that is what is described by the cover unlike the write-up on the cover of The Devil's Honey.

Eve Of Destruction

An Android with the looks and memories of it's creator goes on a rampage and it's up to Gregory Hines and the creator to stop it. Even though it was made before Species, it has the same basic storyline. It has some nice scenes, a satisfying purchase for what I paid for it.

Retroactive

A woman comes a psychotic James Belushi and after surviving him, she comes across a secret facility where time travel has just been discovered and by accident she is sent back in time but only makes things worse.

Another purchase in the recent 88 Films HMV Sale and for me it's a little unearthed gem, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Belushi is great as expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (11.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg eod.jpg (16.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg r.jpg (11.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 6th July 2022, 08:11 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Something i noticed watching it on Saturday night was the first half hour or so isn't like the rest of the film. It's almost as if the camera is listening in on conversations of people reacting to the shark attack rather than anything that drives the narrative along. Conversations flit ina nd out of earshot and the things people say are often totally irrelevant to the plot.
It's like Spielberg wants to give you a sense of time and place, to know who people are and how they interact with each other before narrowing the focus to three men versus a shark.

Even on board the Orca, we want Brody to survive and return to his wife and two children, for Hooper to go back to the Institute and wow them all with stories of the 25-foot shark he encountered off Amity Island, and for Quint to continue on his one-man revenge mission against sharks, seeking vengeance for what happened after the Japanese sunk the USS Indianapolis.

We want Mrs Kintner to know the shark that killed her son is not a threat to any other children, that no one else will suffer a loss like hers.
Old 6th July 2022, 09:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Breeders (1986, Tim Kincaid)

Another one?
This time though, it's more or less C. H. U. D. with less clutter imho. A doctor and a detective team up to solve a series of seemingly random assaults. Told flatly with little verve, there is some claret (and a malfunctioning prop cough) and a slightly sordid tone, but for all that it held my attention. Hmmm.

Breedersposter1986.jpg

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 6th July 2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 6th July 2022, 04:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Punisher:War Zone. 2008.

Frank Castle tries to take out mobster Billy Russoti and fails only to disfigure him and starts off a revenge spree with his brother Looney Bin Jim to end Castle's reign as The Punisher.

I have always been a fan of the punisher movies and comics, Lundgren was good in the 80s film, Thomas Jane's performance was good but a bit of drama added in, this one goes full blown guns drawn and blood splatter. Ray Stevenson portrayal as Frank Castle is decent, and able to show guilt in away and dish out revenge his way without breaking a sweat.

Dominic West plays Billy/Jigsaw who wants revenge on a family who's accomplice he had was a F.B.I agent and Castle for ruining his good looks, he plays the character decently but tends to over act at times. Doug Hutchinson plays his brother Jim and I am not a big fan of the character as he tends to bring his dialogue a bit slow, was he told to act like someone who is going cold turkey from medication or what and tends to over act a lot more than anyone.

Colin Salmon plays the F.B.I agent Budiasnky assigned to the Castle/Punisher task force lead by Martin Soap played by Dash Mihok. One plays the tough guy and the other looks like he hasn't been in the field a lot and can bring some smirks or laughs to the screen. This is one took it's time to warm up to and enjoy.

sggkh+%5B%5Blxx*9*46*230_8_muochl_mvg%5Bzig%5B51v8v%5B46x548vyv201w7y2564146782z8uy72u69x51v8v.jpg
Old 6th July 2022, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mary Poppins. 1964.

A magical singing Nanny helps two children become close to their busy neglectful working father with songs and adventure.

Like The Wizard Of Oz, no matter how old you are you still enjoy it and this one is still enjoyable with Julie Andrews who made the title character one nanny we all want to have. Dick Van Dyke plays Bert the musical street busker, pavement drawer and chimney sweeper who tags along for the singing and dancing. Michele Dotrice and Mathew Garber play the young children who look for a nanny that Mary Poppins meets their requirements that their father David Tomlinson doesn't approve of and mother Glynis Johns seems to have no say in the matter. Classic movie that never gets boring.

71xkY6i-2HL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Is Mary Poppins Returns a decent watch??
Old 6th July 2022, 06:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Monster. 2008.

Two American students in Tokyo record what seems to be a earthquake but turns out something else caused the earthquake.

Theatrical or Unrated version doesn't really help this rip-off from Cloverfield, that film had a alien this one had a giant Octopus...sorry spoiler alert, but we only see the tentacles. This probably sounded better in someones head and also good on paper but executing it on screen is a total failure, some bad movies are good for background noise but I can't even recommend it for that either.

s-l225.jpg
Old 6th July 2022, 06:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Monster. 2008.

Two American students in Tokyo record what seems to be a earthquake but turns out something else caused the earthquake.

Theatrical or Unrated version doesn't really help this rip-off from Cloverfield, that film had a alien this one had a giant Octopus...sorry spoiler alert, but we only see the tentacles. This probably sounded better in someones head and also good on paper but executing it on screen is a total failure, some bad movies are good for background noise but I can't even recommend it for that either.

Attachment 240955
Totally agree, Mr.B. Monster sucked!
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 6th July 2022, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Totally agree, Mr.B. Monster sucked!
I had some hope this would be as good as Cloverfield but that was quickly dashed, how I made it to the end is anyone's guess.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 6th July 2022, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I had some hope this would be as good as Cloverfield but that was quickly dashed, how I made it to the end is anyone's guess.
Well i'm guessing you had other monitors to look at to pass the time.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 6th July 2022, 07:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Well i'm guessing you had other monitors to look at to pass the time.
Yeah and nice members of the public to assist, it's amazing how you miss a few minutes of that film and you really don't miss much

Like this? Share it using the links below!