Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2022, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Probably Carpenters most mainstream film , the story of a alien ( Jeff Bridges) who crashes on earth and clones Karen Allen dead boyfriend and sets out to meet his mother ship.

After finding out his daughter is pregnant George Banks ( Steve Martin) has a midlife crisis but when he finds out his wife is also pregnant he goes into meltdown. While not as good as the first it's a enjoyable and fun sequel in the vain of those Cary Grant type comedy's of the 50s.

Now watching

Old 27th July 2022, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Where The Crawdads Sing

A young girl who is abandoned and lives on a Marsh is accused of Murder and is put on Trail. Never read the Book but found the Film rather enjoyable however I had hoped that they focused more on the Trail but they did a good job of creating suspects and David Strathairn gives a good performance however it's still worth a watch.

I believe that the Book was aimed at Young Adults so I was a bit surprised that it was a 15 considering the violence could have been cut out and left to the imagination.

Perfect Catch

The American version of Fever Pitch which sees Boston Redsox obsessed Jimmy Fallon fall in love with Drew Barrymore. Just as good as Fever Pitch with the caveat of making changes so it's not a carbon copy.

Hands Of Steel

Set in the future of 1997, this futuristic feature sees an assassination attempt go wrong by a Cyborg who then goes on the run from Authorities and his creators. He eventually ends up at a Motel run by Janet Agren and makes another enemy in George Eastman.

I thought that this Italian Film would have had more violence and I believe that they had to shoehorn the only scene with nudity. The effects were of it's time, the script was corny and Acting, very wooden. But I rather enjoyed it.

Oh yeah, I was wondering if there was something wrong with my Blu-Ray as the Film abruptly ended lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtcs.jpg (8.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg pc.jpg (9.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg hos.jpg (14.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 27th July 2022, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Meatballs (1979, Ivan Reitman)

Meatballs II (1981, Ken Wiederhorn)

Changing it up slightly, I revisited the first and entertained the second for the first time.
Ahem.
As part of my endless quest to watch every film from '79, I reappraised Meatballs after decades. More sporty than I remembered, and a darn sight more wholesome to boot , what with the Murray tutoring a young lad in good clean fun. There is an underdeveloped "rivalry" with a snootier camp across the lake, which seemed like an afterthought, and as I say the finale is "team based" ahem. I hated it.
The second ... was something else. Seeming to have moved (new neighbours cough), we now have the dad from Soap! as camp director, Paul Reubens as handyman ... and a few other guests besides
Aside from the more formulaic nature, there was just something endearing about its barefacedness. Then .... well, let's just say it's not something you see every day.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2022, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Battles Without Honor And Humanity. 1973.

After WWII in Japan, a young gangster called Shozo rises up and tries to keep the power he has from other bosses who are trying to run the black market.

From the director of Battle Royale comes his early works with a mobster type film where there is crime, drama, violence, more violence and some intentional or unintentional comedy moments. Right from the start we see the highlights of where Japan surrendered and basically thrown into the movie that just gets better and better as movie goes on from people being friends to bitter enemies. This was something that I thought may never appeal to me and took a gamble which i'm glad that I did.

Battles_Without_Honor_and_Humanity.jpg
Old 27th July 2022, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

@Trebor - John Carpenter's most mainstream film...

You said Starman....

....I offer you Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

And the winner is. In 2022. Probably Halloween.
Old 28th July 2022, 10:22 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
@Trebor - John Carpenter's most mainstream film...

You said Starman....

....I offer you Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

And the winner is. In 2022. Probably Halloween.
I'd say John Carpenter's most mainstream film is either Starman or Escape from New York – they were both made with relatively high profile cast and crew and were both critically and commercially successful.

I'd say Starman was aimed at a wider audience than any other film Carpenter has made. This is reflected in its relative commercial success and recognition by industry awards, with Jeff Bridges receiving Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for his performance.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 28th July 2022, 10:58 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd say John Carpenter's most mainstream film is either Starman or Escape from New York – they were both made with relatively high profile cast and crew and were both critically and commercially successful.

I'd say Starman was aimed at a wider audience than any other film Carpenter has made. This is reflected in its relative commercial success and recognition by industry awards, with Jeff Bridges receiving Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for his performance.
Surely Chevy Chase is more of a mainstream star than Jeff Bridges? Or at least back then he was.

I still think in 2022 Halloween would be classed as his most famous film and most successful therefore most mainstream. How many people round the world watch Halloween pretty much every October? You can guarantee it's shown somewhere by one of the five main UK channels every single October 31st as an example.

You can't say that for sure about any other of his films.
iank likes this.
Old 28th July 2022, 01:05 PM
Cult Veteran

I only watched Starman for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Sony Blu-ray the day it came out, I kept the receipt in the box haha, £9.99 remember those days... I really liked it.

Undoubtedly Memoirs... and I guess Village of the Damned were meant to be his 'big budget' mainstream phase being financed by the studio system but both of them ended up being a bit of a flop. Escape from LA had a $50 million budget financed by Paramount, almost as much as Memoirs and Village combined, it made more money than both films but still woefully less than the amount spent on making the film!

He's a had a bit of a rollercoaster career!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th July 2022, 04:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Surely Chevy Chase is more of a mainstream star than Jeff Bridges? Or at least back then he was.

I still think in 2022 Halloween would be classed as his most famous film and most successful therefore most mainstream. How many people round the world watch Halloween pretty much every October? You can guarantee it's shown somewhere by one of the five main UK channels every single October 31st as an example.

You can't say that for sure about any other of his films.
I was thinking about the time they were made and released, rather than now.

If we are looking at Carpenter's career as a historical piece of work, then I would agree the most mainstream film is probably Halloween.

It's definitely the one with the most name recognition, iconic theme, and imagery.

If 'John Carpenter films' was a category on Pointless, Halloween would be a crap guess!
Old 28th July 2022, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I was thinking about the time they were made and released, rather than now.

If we are looking at Carpenter's career as a historical piece of work, then I would agree the most mainstream film is probably Halloween.

It's definitely the one with the most name recognition, iconic theme, and imagery.

If 'John Carpenter films' was a category on Pointless, Halloween would be a crap guess!
Whilst Memoirs and Starman would probably be getting towards Pointless.

Like this? Share it using the links below!