Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2022, 09:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like most Abrams films it's enjoyable and very silly, it's basically a parody of Top Gun with Charlie Sheen playing the Maverick character who also has issues with his daddy and is chosen to lead a secret mission , this actually has a story unlike topgun and the story even has some similarities to Top Gun Maverick. As well as Top Gun also parodies films such as nine and half weeks, dance's with wolves the fabulous baker boys among others.

Now watching.

Old 4th August 2022, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Moving. 1988.

Arlo Pear accepts his dream job of promotion in Idaho, what seems to be a great idea he didn't anticipate moving would be a problem.

Richard Pryor takes the lead as Arlo who manages to hire a removal company with men who nobody would hire even with wrestler King Kong Bundy or Dana Carvey to drive a car who plays a guy with multiple personality disorders which can be a laugh. Saw this once back when it was first released and never really got the jist of it but certainly got some of the laughs now with Randy Quaid in two roles. What can go wrong with moving does go wrong in this film.

Moving_movie_poster.jpg
Old 5th August 2022, 12:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadly Blessing. 1981.

A former member of a Hittite community dies in mysterious tractor accident, His widow and two friends believe that something is out to get them.

Ernest Borgnine plays the religious leader of the Hittite community who believes the widow is the messenger of a Incubus demon, Craven teams up with Michael Berryman playing a member of the community with a child like mind and does have a small screen time. Sharon Stone stars with Susan Buckner who visit the widow and begin to feel tormented by dreams involving reptiles.

Wes Craven was a great film maker with plenty of memorable films and creating good atmosphere and tense moments with his films, this one has a good build up then has a disappointing ending. He did create something different for the twist that was done again in a horror film that was released two years later that seems memorable than this one. Not the best Craven film but certainly not his worst.

Deadlyblessing.jpg
Old 5th August 2022, 03:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Red Monks. 1988.

A young woman marries a rich man and moves into his ancestral castle, she begins to ask about his secret activities and begins to uncover the truth about his family's past while her husband uncovers some truths about his wife.

The film starts off in the present (1980s I assume) then goes back in time to 1930s where Robert Gherghi played by Gerardo Amato meets his new wife Ramona played by Lara Wendel. All seems to be going well until he becomes very secretive about his late night meetings and phone calls.

Even though Lucio Fulci's name is on this, he is credited as producer only so unfortunately there is very little gore, we see two heads fly about after being decapitated, one killing with a scythe and some female nudity. This is not the best film by the godfather of gore, but it does have some good cinematography and a dark atmosphere of what lurks in the basement of a old Gothic castle. This is one of those films I watch every so often and still get baffled by the end.

220px-I-frati-rossi-italian-movie-poster.jpg

Have a good Friday
Old 5th August 2022, 05:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For me probably Burton's best film , we follow the story of the world's worst ( cross dressing ) director when he befriends a aging Bela Lugosi and starts making his movies with his likable but oddball friends.

What he lacked in talent Wood makes up for his passion , vision and loyalty to his friends.

Martin Landau truly deserved his Oscar for his amazing and emotional performance as Bela Lugosi who thanks to some amazing makeup he looked like him and his performance was spot on . A bitter sweet comedy.

Now watching

Followed by.

Old 5th August 2022, 06:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

James Franciscus stars in this fantasy western in which he leads an expedition to try and find the Forbidden Valley from which a tiny horse in a circus act was said to have originated.

The first half of the film is a bit average with much talk and cowboy stunt show antics, however things really come to life during the second as Ray Harryhausen's wonderful stop motion special effects take over from slightly stilted acting.

The story loosely plays out as a western remake of King Kong, perhaps unsurprising as it was initially a vehicle for that films Willis O'Brien but was shelved following his death. Ray Harryhausen's creatures are amazing especially Gwangi the deadly Allosaurus (Easily mistaken for a T-Rex for the uninitiated).

Highlights of the film include Franciscus and his cowboys trying to rope the Allosaurus in the desert and the fiery climax as said creature runs riot in a cathedral.

Although generally not loved as much as Harryhausen's mythological fantasies, The Valley of Gwangi has always proved a favourite round these parts.

The HMV Premium Collection Blu-ray looks outstanding.
Old 5th August 2022, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Steve Martin plays the world's least convincing mobster who is in witness relocation and under the protection of uptight FBI agent Rick Moranis ,but Martin's Character doesn't make his life easy , committing various crimes. It's enjoyable and both stars give likable performances even taking into account Martins performance comes of as a parody of a mobster but maybe that's the point. It seems that the FBI must of placed every mobster in witness protection in this one small town.

A enjoyable comedy .

Now watching

Old 5th August 2022, 08:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Watched ASSAULT again last night.

Cracking little British thriller,can't recommend it enough.

The bad guy's commupence is SO original.

The brilliant REVENGE tonight.

THE MONSTER/I DON'T WANT TO BE BORN/THE DEVIL WITHIN tomorrow night.

The delectable Susan George in FRIGHT Thursday night.

AND finally BEWARE MY BRETHERN Friday night.

Rounding off a nice wee week of Brit classics.

So REVENGE was as entertaining as ever,Witty from the Wild Geese really was an underrated Brit character actor.

And FRIGHT last night.
Ian Bannen was another talented actor who was also great in THE OFFENCE and DOOMWATCH.

Brit Ekland?
Not a patch on our Susie G in her prime!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th August 2022, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well that far exceed my expectations probably one of the best things Blum House have done, which I know isn't probably saying much.

A number young teenage boys have disappeared, young Finney is the "grabbers" next victim a mysterious black phone keeps ringing when Finney decides to answer it, it's the grabbers previous victims. We also have a sub story involving Finney's kick ass little sister who has some sort of psychic power. Well acted from both young leads and Ethan Hawke gives a chilling and deranged performance as the grapper.

A few reviews and etc complained it was similar to King , but that's to be expected as it is from his son Joe Hill, a few nods to daddy's work is given with the like shawshank and IT . Also like his daddy Joe has a cameo as a high school teacher. Well worth a watch and one of the more enjoyable horrors of seen in a while , heads and shoulders above Blum House other shite like Halloween.

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th August 2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old 5th August 2022, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Marionette (2020, Elbert Van Strien)

This being the film that was shot mainly in Aberdeenshire.
A psychiatrist moves tae bonny Scotland fir a new joab ... enough ken?
Dealing mainly with kids, her attention is drawn to one pale young lad, who likes to draw stuff.
Decent enough, if not ground breaking ahem, Peter Mullan turns up now and then and the locale was used reasonably well imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!