Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2022, 09:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jurassic World Dominion. 2022.

Four years after the Isla Nubar volcanic eruption, dinosaurs are being hunted for poachers. Biosync the new company have created a new species of Locus, and want Maisie Lockwood and Blue for testing on.

Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Bryce Dallas Howard and Chris Pratt all return to the new Isla Nubar island and it's almost a same shit different day scenario and a small place that is crowded with people who don't realise they are on the food menu. Campbell Scott plays the Biosync owner who seems genuine enough but he has big plans that go out of the window as some plans do. Decent enough to watch for the finale of the franchise.

jurassic-world-dominion-logo-e1651177778169-730x452-c.jpg
Old 6th August 2022, 12:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Host. 2006.

An American Military base doctor in Seoul releases a toxin into the river. Six years later a creature is spotted by a bridge and begins to attack everyone, a man who's daughter was taken tries to convince everyone she is alive, along with family members they try to find the creature.

This was a film a I had no high hopes for after watching a previous film about a monster/creature terrorising people from that part of the world, however this was actually decent. At some point there is a bit of comedy mixed in but does take things serious with a man trying to find his daughter and the irritating side of the government trying to hush things up with a virus that the creature carries. There is some good tense moments built up, and yes this was subtitled but certainly worth a watch.

510N095vcyL._SY445_.jpg
Old 6th August 2022, 03:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

From Paris With Love. 2010.

A aide to a Ambassador in Paris who does work for the C.I.A. is tasked to accompany a agent who is set to bring down a terrorist cell.

With John Travolta's Goatee and skin head really doesn't suit him but he brings some good moments that can bring a laugh to the screen as the unpredictable Charlie Wax who seems to enjoy winding up airport staff. Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays the young aide tasked with being a driver and isn't sure about the job he is assigned to. This was better than I thought it would be, ok some bits seems to be done before but plenty of action and good shootouts.

105727.jpg

Have a great weekend
Old 6th August 2022, 02:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Troll 2 (1989)

Best Worst Movie (2009)

WHAT THE F*CK DID I WATCH LAST NIGHT?

On both accounts words fail me.

Three hours of Claudio Fragasso inspired bizarreness!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Troll_2_poster.jpg (25.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (107.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 6th August 2022, 02:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Troll 2 (1989)

Best Worst Movie (2009)

WHAT THE F*CK DID I WATCH LAST NIGHT?

On both accounts words fail me.
Oh My God!

I really like both of those haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th August 2022, 02:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Oh My God!

I really like both of those haha
I laughed my head off at George Hardy in total despair at the English convention. "The only people here are failed actors who can't get work anymore"...the camera cuts immediately to Caroline Munro.

Then there's Fragasso seeming to think like he's actually made a good film and getting ratty when people laugh at it.

I wasn't sure if it was all a huge piss take. Especially when Troll Queen Deborah Reed was cut from the doc entirely. Going off the deleted 12 minute interview she was clearly the sanest person about so that wouldn't do.
Old 6th August 2022, 02:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE SADIST OF NOTRE DAME – Jess Franco often made cameo appearances in his films but here he takes the lead, playing a defrocked priest with a stabby dislike of anyone having too much of a good time. Much of TSOND shows him hanging out on the fringes of the Parisian demimonde, looking on lugubriously from the shadows at orgies in full swing. The drab palette of Old World back streets smears an already grotty picture where voyeurism, here personified by the director himself, lends a weirdly personal and slightly suffocating air to proceedings. TSOND is quite downbeat compared with the likes of ‘Bloody Moon’, ‘Erotic Rites Of Frankenstein’, or other examples of Franco in party mode, but the constantly seamy ambience coupled with the imagery of majestic but semi-derelict cathedrals is compelling.

STANLEY – ‘Nam survivor Tim, out in the Everglades where life is just one massive swamp, finds that humanity just isn’t where it’s at anymore. Snakes though, there’s a species you can rely on. I actually don’t get the whole ‘primal fear’ thing of snakes at all really, nor for that matter the widespread dislike of spiders, who always seem unjustly maligned. It’s more worms, slugs, maggots that get to me. Yeah, f*ck them. Anyway ‘Stanley’, which is close to the likes of ‘Willard’ in that it melds inter-species relatedness with ‘revenge of the downtrodden’ tropes, is groovily in step with its early seventies provenance and is full of fascinating little swirls and diversions, none of which hide the fact that it’s overlong and frequently clunky as hell. There are a lot of things this film could say about Native Americans, PTSD and alienation, but ‘Stanley’ no sooner puts these issues out on the table than skirts around them. OK, it’s an exploitation / horror flick first and foremost, but it comes on then blows cold on some pretty interesting themes. On the other hand, scenes of Tim expounding his philosophies and getting down and relating to his pets are very endearing, and some of the images are indelible – watching snake guy toss his serpents in repetitive slow motion upon a couple as they writhe, scream and die does something to me. The less obviously entertaining, but more interesting, half of the recent VS double with ‘Horror High’. Hypocrite alert (and I level this at myself) – after bestowing a quantity of praise on this film I should point out that it features some unconscionable acts of violence towards the slithering ones, which is one thing I can’t condone.

FEARDOTCOM – One of my favourite horror movie ‘things’ is the pairing of heightened visual style and dramatic incompetence – at least some of the world must be with me on that, otherwise there’d be no money in Euro horror for a start. Anyway, lush imagery and shit narrative are trapped in a desperately unhappy marriage in ‘Feardotcom’, a film I’ve avoided up till now as I believed, erroneously, that it was one of those found footage disasters (aesthetically, it’s the opposite). I’m not stupid, but I couldn’t understand what was going on at all. I might start by telling you that it involved the website of a ghost of a little girl with a white ball who can make people’s eyes bleed, but even a little time spent pondering the finer points of this mess would cause my own eyes to weep crimson, and maybe yours too. There a potentially interesting Cronenbergy but then somehow J-Horror supernaturalism type thing going on with it maybe, but it’s buried beneath a thick layer of cruddy incoherence… but then it all looks so nice done out in wonderful post-Mann ‘Seven’-esque shades, a perpetually rainswept carnival of grim neon and night. And the names – Stephen Rea, Stephen Dorff, Natascha McElhone , Udo Kier… well, I guess they all have a bit of trash floating around at the bottom of their resumes, as does Herbert West, here seen chain smoking and swearing a lot but still only capable of looking like a bitter nerd (only kidding Jeff, you’re one of my faves). Objectivity is always a strain when it comes to any art form, but, no matter what the critical framework might be, I’m pretty sure ‘Feardotmcom’ cannot be thought of as a good movie. Ever. Does it matter, though? Does it entertain, does it interest? ‘Feardotcom’ is a reeking pile of utter bollocks, but I really liked it!
Old 6th August 2022, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

FearDotCom is great.
Old 6th August 2022, 04:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

i-vampiri-italian-movie-poster-md.jpg
I VAMPIRI (1957)

I had not seen this in quite a while so was good to watch again. I really enjoyed it. Italy's first horror film of the sound era completed by the movie's cinematographer, Mario Bava.
Some good gothic scenes here as we enter the castle and tombs and were a shape of things to come for Bava's films.
Old 6th August 2022, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Doberman Gang. 1972.

After a botched robbery, a con man and his accomplices decide to buy 6 Doberman dogs and train them to rob banks without the criminals getting caught.

They say you can't train a old dog new tricks...well in this they prove it wrong, with the title you know you can't take it seriously, bad acting, a bit of a country and western background score, a small mauling of a security guard's arm...70s uniform isn't as good at what we have now. Aside from all this was low budget entertaining flick.

1512090340261_l.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!