Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2022, 07:58 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Attachment 9

I watched Prey yesterday and i not overly impressed the first 55 minutes dragged because like you said its not really establishing and sort of relationships or building any sort of intrigue just things cgi animals killing each other and people shit talking a woman.

When it got going after the 55 minute mark The Predator looks cool with the skull mask/helmet but too much cgi ruined it. They will be calling for an Oscar next for the leading lady from the praise im hearing of her performance but honestly there wasn't one stand out performance in this film not that i was expecting one but from the buzz in the internet i was expecting better.

The idea is great and i do love the setting but thats it i was left a little empty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PREY_poster.jpg (96.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 8th August 2022, 08:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 9

I watched Prey yesterday and i not overly impressed the first 55 minutes dragged because like you said its not really establishing and sort of relationships or building any sort of intrigue just things cgi animals killing each other and people shit talking a woman.

When it got going after the 55 minute mark The Predator looks cool with the skull mask/helmet but too much cgi ruined it. They will be calling for an Oscar next for the leading lady from the praise im hearing of her performance but honestly there wasn't one stand out performance in this film not that i was expecting one but from the buzz in the internet i was expecting better.

The idea is great and i do love the setting but thats it i was left a little empty.
Yeah. It's not a "It's ruined the franchise!" film, but it's one I'll struggle to revisit. The first two are a great double-bill. The third is diverting nonsense you can put on if you still have time. The fourth film is a mess, but it borders on fascinating at times. But this one is empty with a nastiness that means I can't enjoy it as an easy time-waster.
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.
Old 8th August 2022, 08:08 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Yeah. It's not a "It's ruined the franchise!" film, but it's one I'll struggle to revisit. The first two are a great double-bill. The third is diverting nonsense you can put on if you still have time. The fourth film is a mess, but it borders on fascinating at times. But this one is empty with a nastiness that means I can't enjoy it as an easy time-waster.
The amount of people saying we have a new final girl is crazy I'm not saying she is a bad actress but she didn't really get to shine here people need to calm down and stop jumping the gun.
MacBlayne and nicholasrope like this.
Old 8th August 2022, 08:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
The amount of people saying we have a new final girl is crazy I'm not saying she is a bad actress but she didn't really get to shine here people need to calm down and stop jumping the gun.
I've been scratching my head at that too. She's definitely not bad, but I never once thought I was watching a person fight an alien hunter.

I guess that's a big problem with the film. It's never immersive.
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.
Old 8th August 2022, 10:25 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I've been scratching my head at that too. She's definitely not bad, but I never once thought I was watching a person fight an alien hunter.

I guess that's a big problem with the film. It's never immersive.
Considering the period the film was set they are living in a world that scary enough animals trying to kill you settlers trying to kill you and then this big spaceship shows up and an alien going in and out of cloaking technology but no one really seemed too phased by it it was just like they were hunting a jaguar or a bear just run of the mill everyday hunt
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 8th August 2022, 12:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

lfhhh.jpg
THE HIDDEN FORTRESS (1958)

Not seen this in a long, long time. Really enjoyed it.
I could not help but pick out all the Star Wars similarities and ideas this time around. Even Princess Yuki sleeping was the same as Princess Leia in the cell block! Ha ha!
Anyway, very good film and I wish I had not taken so long to watch the movie again.
Great stuff
Old 8th August 2022, 12:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Troll (1986)

Just noticed Cex will give me either a £13 voucher or £9 cash for the Eureka Troll / Troll 2 set.

Sayonara, Trolls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (86.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th August 2022, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Demonia. 1990.

A archaeologist team in Sicily unleash the vengeful spirits of a group of nuns who were murdered. As the spirits are unleashed they begin to terrorise the team and the townsfolk.

This did seem to have the potential to be a good horror flick, somewhat nun exploitation with a back story told by Carla Cassola who would make a bedtime story creepy. Fulci has a bit more on screen time as the Inspector investigating on what is going on in the quiet sleepy little town. We can't blame Fulci for the mild gore (although someone does split their sides) we can blame those who gave it such a low budget, that the great man himself has disowned this movie.

Demonia_FilmPoster.jpeg
Old 9th August 2022, 12:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hard Rock Nightmare. 1988.

Young Jim is convinced his grandfather is a monster and kills him. Years later Jim is in a music band and along with his friends venture to his grandfather's cabin and believe they are being stalked by a werewolf.

Dominick Brascia who was in Friday the 13th Part 5 (which a character from the movie is mentioned) wrote and directed this obscure film. This film has some really bad acting, some of the daft cheesiest dialogue but these teens are smart though, when they realise they are in trouble they do run. There is very little gore and blood but someone must have been a fan of Scooby-Doo with the ending.

MV5BZTAwNjc5NDgtMDQ4OS00NTE4LTk0OWYtMGFmNTk0NTYyMjA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 9th August 2022, 05:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghosthouse. 1988.

A ham radio operator picks up a recording of a man screaming and traces the signal to a deserted house. Soon after they look into the house and it's previous owners a couple with their daughter who died in mysterious circumstances. The ghost of the young girl and her doll bring death to those who see her.

The film that was made by Umberto Lenzi while trying to convince the audience that it was a American director, the man can't fool us no matter how hard he tried. How many times this has been watched, the acting never gets any better even with Jim's death it becomes more comical, Lenzi must have told him what was gonna happen and told him to act out how it would look, Martin Jay probably told him he would give out the performance of a life time and we get the end result, must be why he has only been in 3 movies.

Coulrophobia must have been a big thing in the 80s and with films, Poltergeist gave us a creepy clown and offered some inspiration to one particular scene where things are flying round a bedroom, yet we get a creepy looking thing that is able to spring teeth at a blink of a eye and creep up on people.

At least Lenzi gave us a fearsome atmosphere within the house and the young girl's crypt towards the end, got the strange feeling that some of the background score was used in the 1987 film Stagefright. But the music for the doll seems like some sort of devilish lullaby rhyme that would creep a young one out. Still a entertaining flick.

la-casa-3-ghosthouse-british-vhs-movie-cover.jpg

Have a good day all

Like this? Share it using the links below!