Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2022, 02:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It must be a child thing then like The Goonies and crap like that. I never saw Troll as a kid. I avoided stuff like that. The first film i ever rented was Scanners, followed by Treasure of the Four Crowns and The Kindred so it was adult stuff all the way with me. Never rented kids films.
When a friend showed me Trolls 2, and it came to the bit where ghost grandpa warns the kid to not let the family eat the sandwiches, I said, "I'd laugh if the kid just pisses all over the food."

Well, I laughed.
Old 11th August 2022, 08:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Vampire Is Still Alive (1989, Godfrey Ho)

Ostensibly a "sequel" to Robo Vampire
When two movie sorts accidentally disturb a Taoist ritual, their weekend doesn't go to plan.
In the Hoverse, time and space swap places, logic flies out the window and language ceases to have meaning. Or something.
Features a sequence that puts it up there with Xtro, It's Alive! and Men
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th August 2022, 08:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Vampire Is Still Alive (1989, Godfrey Ho)

Ostensibly a "sequel" to Robo Vampire
When two movie sorts accidentally disturb a Taoist ritual, their weekend doesn't go to plan.
In the Hoverse, time and space swap places, logic flies out the window and language ceases to have meaning. Or something.
Features a sequence that puts it up there with Xtro, It's Alive! and Men
Ahem.
Sounds good will I find that one on YouTube?
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th August 2022, 09:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yup, look for .... Robo Vampire 3

ENJOY
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th August 2022, 09:38 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Yup, look for .... Robo Vampire 3

ENJOY
Also, kind of still reeling from that scene in Men, do I really want to see a Hong Kong version of that
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th August 2022, 11:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A Taste of Blood (1967)

Synopsis from Wiki seeing as i can't be bothered to write one

Quote:
A Miami businessman, John Stone, receives a parcel from England containing two old bottles of Slivovitz brandy from his recently deceased ancestor, and after drinking both bottles, becomes a vampire. Stone uses his newfound vampire powers to keep his wife, Helene, in a trance as he travels to England to kill the descendants of Abraham Van Helsing that murdered Count Dracula. Meanwhile, Helsing's distant relative, Howard Helsing, pursues Stone with the intent to put the reborn vampire to rest for good.
In a nutshell the vampire scenes are good and gory it's just that in a film lasting two hours there really aren't enough of them. There are however interminable periods where people simply talk and talk and talk. Sometimes they are stood up but but more often than not sat down. Take a shot of vodka every time the principle characters look like they are sat around the set of a tv soap opera and see how long you last.

The Gruesome Twosome (1967)

Mrs. Pringle and her mentally disabled son run a wig shop. The question is where do they get the hair for their products?

A lot more fun than A Taste of Blood, and thankfully fifty minutes shorter too. This has some genuinely great and gross gore especially the opening scalping which the camera takes slow delight in lingering on.

I laughed at one point when 'crazy son' pulls a girls liver out from below her belt buckle. A bit of basic biology might have been helpful in the realism stakes, Herschell.
Old 11th August 2022, 01:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Firefox

FIREFOX

Clint Eastwood’s Firefox is a generic spy techno-thriller that lumps the political exposition of Robert Ludlum with the techno fetishism of Tom Clancy (admittedly, Clancy had yet to debut as a novelist). What it lacks is the flair of Ian Fleming, or the heart of John LeCarre.

Maybe I was high on cleaning fluids (I just finished my period of isolation, and sterilized my flat), but I was so engrossed in the film that I forgot about my glass of ale. Firefox is the type of film we used to take for granted – a genre exercise directed with solid craftsmanship.

Watching Clint hide out in a Moscow Metro train commanded my attention. That’s Clint on a real train, doing laps around real metro stations, all lit up with actual lighting. Even when Clint skulks to a bathroom, you know the filmmakers searched up and down the city (Vienna) to find a location that matched the requirements of shooting, as well the tone.

Also, being a film from that era, it takes time to breathe. Granted, the exposition scenes ramble on far too long (I get it – Russia built a superjet!), but Eastwood includes little character moments that give him and his cast something to sink their teeth into.

The film is complimented by some gorgeous anamorphic photography, and Maurice Jarre’s score sounds a little Superman-ish, but the visual effects by John Dykstra are a letdown. The filmmakers are trying to replicate the dogfights from Star Wars, but where Star Wars’s battles take place against the black void of space, Firefox throws its action against cloudy skies, snowy mountains, or sparkling daytime oceans. The black matte lines become way too obvious. There are some cool bits though, such as the experimental jets’ supersonic waves tearing the ocean or rapidly evaporating the snow into mist.

Firefox is film with not much worth talking about, but shows how much we have lost. I saw this many years ago and was bored senseless. Now, I found it to be an enjoyable afternoon timewaster. Definitely worth a gander whenever it pops up on ITV.
Old 11th August 2022, 04:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Also, kind of still reeling from that scene in Men, do I really want to see a Hong Kong version of that
Nothing so "graphic" here, so fear not J!!
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
Old 11th August 2022, 06:53 PM
Active Cultist

I been watching a few comedies like Harold and Kumar, Tropic Thunder, Stir Crazy Trading Places. Also watched the Prestige for the first time since it came out and Clints final western Unforgiven.
Old 11th August 2022, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cameron's Closet. 1988.

A father experiments with his son's psychokinetic abilities and unleashes a demon that wants to possess his body.

I hadn't seen this film since I rented it back in the day, written by Gary Brander of The Howling to create a movie with the Monster in the closet spook era that scares young kids. It has one or two decent deaths with Tab Hunter and Gary Hudson, the gore and blood are very lacky with some predictable so called jump scares. The acting is very 80s cheese fest but decent enough, only snag is the ending the monster really doesn't do much and seems very rubbery but it was enjoyable to see it again.

6758-cameron-s-closet-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!