Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2022, 09:26 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nice write up on Elvis, Nordy.
Thanks i keep thinking of more i needed to say after posting but i think i said enough
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th August 2022, 10:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

An American Haunting. 2005.

Farmer John Bell and his family become targeted of a poltergeist.

One of the most famous hauntings to come from Tennessee that began and finished between 1817-1821 and is the only documented story which resulted in the death of a person caused by a ghost/poltergeist.

This had something good going for it Donald Sutherland plays the patriarch of the family John Bell Sr and Sissy Spacek as the loving wife Lucy who seem happy until the shit hits the fan and their daughter Betsy played by Rachel Hurd-Wood becomes the target for the ghost. There is one thing missing, is the story of the cave, we get what seems to be a glimpse in a dream sequence and it was connected to the land of The Bell's that had plenty of things reported as well as the house. Helped pass by some time even though the jumpp scares were predictable.

51E43eMlMrL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 12th August 2022, 11:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Savage Dawn (1985, Simon Nuchtern)

George Kennedy? Lance Henriksen? Richard Lynch? Bill Forsythe?? (cough)
Sold.
What you get it ... the word would be perfunctory if not for some elements.
It's nasty enough. I can only imagine what the vhs would have looked like ahem.
A lone rider visits unfamiliar territory in search of an old friend.
What he finds is familiar enough to fans of genre cinema
Bad people make god fearin' folks lives a nightmare, so it's up to you know who to right some wrongs. Insanely ambitious on an obviously tight budget, it features many tropes chucked in like it had been washed on the wrong cycle
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2022, 12:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mary Poppins Returns. 2018.

An hour in to this film and I had to switch it off, this has no hold over the original, sorry Julie Andrews is the only Mary Poppins, no disrespect to Emily Blunt who is a good actress but why is she speaking with a prim and proper English accent that does not suit her. Way over the top with CGI effects, can the makers not have gone old school?

513KeDhNfoL._AC_.jpg
Old 13th August 2022, 01:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Grudge 3. 2009.

The Japanese knew when to call it quits after two films
You say that, but the Japanese franchise is massive. There are sequels, spin-offs, crossovers, novels, a TV series, comic books, and a video game.

I think creator Takashi Shimizu has distanced himself from it all. He's like John Carpenter in that he takes his paycheque, and leaves the producers to do what they want.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 13th August 2022, 03:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
You say that, but the Japanese franchise is massive. There are sequels, spin-offs, crossovers, novels, a TV series, comic books, and a video game.

I think creator Takashi Shimizu has distanced himself from it all. He's like John Carpenter in that he takes his paycheque, and leaves the producers to do what they want.
Think The Grudge 3 would have been better if Takashi Shimzu took the directors chair and carried this on instead of just being a writer, this just seemed to lack the dark tone that was the first two built up. Infection 2004, Ghost Game 2006, The Guard Post 2008 have been the freakiest movies I have seen from Japan since Ju On: The Grudge and Ringu.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 13th August 2022, 03:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Think The Grudge 3 would have been better if Takashi Shimzu took the directors chair and carried this on instead of just being a writer, this just seemed to lack the dark tone that was the first two built up. Infection 2004, Ghost Game 2006, The Guard Post 2008 have been the freakiest movies I have seen from Japan since Ju On: The Grudge and Ringu.
I think he was bored of it by that point. He had two short films, two straight-to-video films, two theatrical releases, and two remakes that kinda went in their own direction. By that point, he was in a position to try other things, and as long as the franchise continues, he gets paid. I'm sure he thinks its best days are long gone too.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 13th August 2022, 03:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

DELIRIUM

I’ve been listening to Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avary’s podcast, and it’s rather good. Tarantino, as extraordinarily talented as he, can be quite dweebish and overbearing in interviews. I assumed I would cringe for ten minutes and turn off, but Tarantino is endearing and shows a little more taste than I ever would have expected from him.

Anyways, Delirium is one of the films he talks about, and stresses that you DO NOT look up what the film is about. And he’s right. Delirium was not the film I was expecting. All I will say is that if you think this is just about a lunatic murdering women, well, steady yourself.

Delirium is not a bad film, but it’s not an overlooked gem (Tarantino freely admits to this). The acting is okay, but the cast is clearly inexperienced. The direction is clunky, with the film suffering from some pacing issues, and stopping for some T&A that isn’t as gratuitous as other exploitation thrillers. The camerawork is rather bad in parts. Sometimes the camera struggles to keep up with the actors, and other times, they are shot with Garth Marenghi levels of compositions. Only the leading cops are framed like a proper film. I’m guessing, since this is a very low-budget production from St. Louis, the actors playing the cops were the only ones with the time for rehearsals and multiple takes.

The script is what makes Delirium worth watching. It’s clear that the writer-director is a person who reads novels, and isn’t just trying to rip-off other exploitation films. It unfolds in ways you wouldn’t expect, and feels like it reaches its natural conclusion. A little polish, and some stronger direction, and the script could have pushed Delirium into cult classic.

For the first twenty minutes, I had accepted Delirium as a scuzzy slasher. And then, a reveal was made that changed the entire film, and I didn’t exactly know where I was going. It’s a shame that the filmmaking cannot reach the screenplay’s inventiveness, but that screenplay meant I was never bored with the film.

Delirium has secured a restored BluRay from Severin Films, but I’m afraid I was sneaky and watched a copy on YouTube. I wouldn’t be surprised that, based on Tarantino’s comments, that the film will rise in popularity, and will be deleted from YouTube. So catch it while you can.

Old 13th August 2022, 03:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scooby-Doo Return To Zombie Island. 2019.

After all the mysteries they have uncovered, the gang decide to retire, Shaggy wins a competition for a holiday to a paradise island. When they get there, they recognise the island and thrown into another mystery.

Frank Welker and Mathew Lillard return to the franchise with their voices with Kate Micucci and Grey Griffin and Cassandra Peterson as Elvira for this straight to video movie. The first half started well and then it went slowly down hill to the point of why did this go that way with a character of director Alan Smithee which made me laugh, this was not the best entry of the Scooby-Doo feature film I have watched.

220px-SCOOBY_DOO_RETURN_TO_ZOMBIE_ISLAND_2D.jpg
Old 13th August 2022, 06:42 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
I know it's unlike me to be pedantic, but... Ghost Game was from Thailand and not Japan , while The Guard Post was from South Korea and not Japan!

Anyway, is 'The Grudge 3' the one with the 'milk scene', or am I thinking of another film?
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!