Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2008, 08:25 AM
Cultist

Since Asian cinema has been brought up I'll throw in. I just ordered yesterday a film called Suicide Club. It's nuts but in a good way. Also ordered another film by the same director called Strange Circus which I've heard is good. Will be hunting for a good place to order the sequel to Suicide Club, which is called Noriko's Dinner Table.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:06 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I remember reading something about Suicide Club, cant remember what it was as I was searching for something else but I do remember the name.

Cant say i've heard of the others as im not big on Asian film, thats my mates speciality.
Old 29th May 2008, 05:06 PM
Cult Rookie

Here's what I've watched in the last couple of weeks:

Deathproof - Too many slow, padded-out talky scenes between the good bits. Probably my least favourite Tarantino movie. 7/10
Virgin Witch - From the AB Tigon set. Much better than some reviews had led me to believe. 8/10
Eaten Alive - The Tobe Hooper one and not a patch on TCM, but still good fun. 8/10
Zombi 3 - As expected, crap compared to Zombi 2. Bad but unfortunately not so bad that its able to offer much in the way of unintentional humour. 5/10
Shoot 'Em Up - Really enjoyed this. Don't know why, it's just a mindless popcorn movie. 9/10
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade - Watched in preparation for taking my son to see the new one. Much better than I remember, nearly as good as the first one. 9/10
The Axe - Average revenge movie. Could have done with a more exploitation to go with the fairly tame violence. 6/10
Black Sheep - Plenty of fun, but could have been a lot better. Needed to decide if it was a comedy or a horror movie. 7/10
Night Train Murders - Been sat on my to-watch pile since it first came out and I'd been putting off seeing it, thinking it would be just another LHOTL rip-off and I'm not exactly a fan of LHOTL. But I really liked it. Far, far better than LHOTL. 9/10
Santa Sangre - Missed this when it was in print but found a cheap copy on eBay after discovering Jodorowsky through the Tartan box set (also highly recommended). More accessible than his other films, but doesn't loose anything. Thought it was simply brilliant. 10/10
30 Days Of Night - Best vampire movie in ages. I'm not normally a fan of modern style vampires, Rollin is more my sort of thing when it comes to pointy teeth, but this was great. Very tense. 9/10
SS Girls - Cheap and inept rip-off of Salon Kitty from Bruno Mattei. Enjoyable in a so bad it's good sort of way. 6/10
Flavia The Heretic - A naughty nun movie that is more than just a simple exploitation piece. 9/10
Stacy - aka Attack Of The Schoolgirl Zombies. Totally mental Japanese zombie love story moving featuring a chainsaw called Bruce Campbell's Right Hand and Romero Squads going round rekilling the zombies. Highly recommended. 9/10
Manhattan Baby - Not my favourite Fulci, but OK. 7/10

Cheers,
Abaddon.

Last edited by abaddon; 29th May 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 29th May 2008, 05:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah 30 DAYS OF NIGHT is a TENSE experience....highly recommended....anyone else seen it?
Old 30th May 2008, 03:02 PM
Ex-member

I've just ordered both versions of Beast In Space, a slow Friday afternoon at work will force you to do things like this. I also ordered the Shameless version of TORSO.
Old 30th May 2008, 06:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched Wind Chill last night.....what start's off as quite promising soon degenerates into nonsense and a lousy ending that fails to deliver...4 out of 10....
Old 1st June 2008, 10:58 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Yeah 30 DAYS OF NIGHT is a TENSE experience....highly recommended....anyone else seen it?
Yes and I think it's superb. It is very tense and entertaining. The gore is great, occasionally shocking and surprising and the vampires are savage and completely terrifying.

For me most modern vampire films lack tension and have been disapointing and left me thinking the genre is dead but this films re-ignited my interest and I'm hoping it leads to some decent vampire films.
Old 1st June 2008, 12:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

My friend lent me 30 DON and I must admit I set it on the shelf with no intention of watching it , as the last few modern films i've watched have disapointed me, but it seems to be highly thought of by people's opinions I respect so i'll definitely give it a watch before he calls back for it.
Thanks everyone, I nearly missed out there if it weren't for the good reports from all of you.
Old 1st June 2008, 11:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched THE SENTINEL tonight....decent little ROSEMARY'S BABY clone....what a ****ing stellar cast!
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:40 PM
Ex-member

Just bought E.I's Women's Prison Massacre Uncut! double disk, it comes with Violence In A Women's Prison on disk two.

Again another slow day at work and access to Amazon will do things like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!