Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2022, 12:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

No Holds Barred. 1989.

A tv network exec pits a professional wrestler with a fighter on a match where there is no rules.

I'm sure before 1990s most of us were big Hulk Hogan fans and I'm sure we all rushed to see this film, here Hogan plays Rip, WWF superstar champion (Hogan using his creative control contract again??) Who is approached by Kurt Fuller to be his superstar and is mildly turned down he creates his own show " Battle Of the Tough Guys" and is introduced to Zeus who becomes his fighter.

Watching this back in the day was good but now so many years later Hogan can't really act and when he does its more comical than anything. Why Mr McMahon created this I got no idea but heard this didn't even bring in the money that what put into it.

download (3).jpeg
Old 18th November 2022, 03:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Orphan: First Kill. 2022.

After a daring escape from a Estonian psychiatric hospital, a young woman impersonates a wealthy American family's missing daughter.

I will admit, Orphan was a great movie with a good plot twist, here this is the prequel and you do wonder who is actually completely messed up in the head. Isabelle Fuhram returns as Esther and make up dept done a decent job making her look young, will give the film credit for that. Julia Styles plays the wealthy mother who seems to know one or two things and will do anything for her children. Not as tense as the first film and can drag on in places but entertaining enough.

98928f24-4841-4092-9339-f0fa3a77ba8b.jpg
Old 18th November 2022, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Walker: Texas Ranger: One Riot, One Ranger

Walker: Texas Ranger has been one of those shows that I've always been curious about and finally started to watch it, now it's being shown on Legend. And by complete luck, it appears that during the 1st Season, I've inadvertently seen 2 of Film Releases. As this during the 90's, I think the distributers released a 2 episode story as a Video Release a la what The X-Files did with their multiple releases.

Anyway, this was the opening 2 episodes of the 1st Season and this introduces us to Walker (Chuck Norris) a Texas Ranger who's investigating audacious Bank Robberies whilst protecting a Rape Victim from her attackers. He is also introduced to his new partner. As this was done in 1993, it's a little dated but it was enjoyable and something you can relax to.

Walker: Texas Ranger: Something In The Shadows

The other release and this time, Walker is trying to stop a ruthless Drug Dealer, who is using one of his Karate Students as a Delivery Boy and abusing his Mother. Entertaining fare, Legend must have shown the edited version because there is no way it's an 18 Certificate.

New Jack City

One of my favorite Films and I've finally upgraded to Blu-Ray and this sees Wesley Snipes become the most feared Drug Dealer and the efforts of Cops to stop him. Fantastic Film with great performances from Snipes, Ice T and Chris Rock. Should have won Oscars.

The Hidden

Another upgrade (Hate the HMV Premium Collection Cover) an under-rated 80's Sci-Fi/Horror which sees an Alien take over human hosts and turns them into ruthless Criminals. Kyle McLaughlan is perfectly cast as the moody Alien Cop.

Ghost

Patrick Swayze is murdered but stays on Earth to protect his Girlfriend, played by Demi Moore. In order to help him, he finally (Humorously) persuades a Psychic (Played brilliantly by Whoopi Goldberg) to assist him. This is a brilliant Film highlighted by Goldberg, who fully deserved her Oscar. I can certainly see why this was such a big hit in 1990, it's a lot of fun and it has it's funny moments as well. Special mention to Tony Goldwyn as well, you certainly believed that he was scared by all the sweating, he was doing.

Class Of 1999

Another unknown 80's gem which sees the then future of 1999 overrun by teen gangs and in order to teach them in Schools, Robot Teachers are used but they were former Army Robots who revert to type. This as an excellent Cast (Which I didn't release until much later on) Again another upgrade to another Film, I enjoyed thoroughly.

I'm guessing when this got it's Video Rental Release back in 89, it appeared in the Magazines that Video Shops had and this would have been on Page 6 as one of those other releases that month but would have been better than some of the bigger releases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtroror.jpg (14.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wtrsits.jpg (13.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg njc.jpg (14.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg th.jpg (13.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg g.jpg (11.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg co1999.jpg (14.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th November 2022, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Walker: Texas Ranger: One Riot, One Ranger

Walker: Texas Ranger has been one of those shows that I've always been curious about and finally started to watch it, now it's being shown on Legend. And by complete luck, it appears that during the 1st Season, I've inadvertently seen 2 of Film Releases. As this during the 90's, I think the distributers released a 2 episode story as a Video Release a la what The X-Files did with their multiple releases.

Anyway, this was the opening 2 episodes of the 1st Season and this introduces us to Walker (Chuck Norris) a Texas Ranger who's investigating audacious Bank Robberies whilst protecting a Rape Victim from her attackers. He is also introduced to his new partner. As this was done in 1993, it's a little dated but it was enjoyable and something you can relax to.

Walker: Texas Ranger: Something In The Shadows

The other release and this time, Walker is trying to stop a ruthless Drug Dealer, who is using one of his Karate Students as a Delivery Boy and abusing his Mother. Entertaining fare, Legend must have shown the edited version because there is no way it's an 18 Certificate.

New Jack City

One of my favorite Films and I've finally upgraded to Blu-Ray and this sees Wesley Snipes become the most feared Drug Dealer and the efforts of Cops to stop him. Fantastic Film with great performances from Snipes, Ice T and Chris Rock. Should have won Oscars.

The Hidden

Another upgrade (Hate the HMV Premium Collection Cover) an under-rated 80's Sci-Fi/Horror which sees an Alien take over human hosts and turns them into ruthless Criminals. Kyle McLaughlan is perfectly cast as the moody Alien Cop.

Ghost

Patrick Swayze is murdered but stays on Earth to protect his Girlfriend, played by Demi Moore. In order to help him, he finally (Humorously) persuades a Psychic (Played brilliantly by Whoopi Goldberg) to assist him. This is a brilliant Film highlighted by Goldberg, who fully deserved her Oscar. I can certainly see why this was such a big hit in 1990, it's a lot of fun and it has it's funny moments as well. Special mention to Tony Goldwyn as well, you certainly believed that he was scared by all the sweating, he was doing.

Class Of 1999

Another unknown 80's gem which sees the then future of 1999 overrun by teen gangs and in order to teach them in Schools, Robot Teachers are used but they were former Army Robots who revert to type. This as an excellent Cast (Which I didn't release until much later on) Again another upgrade to another Film, I enjoyed thoroughly.

I'm guessing when this got it's Video Rental Release back in 89, it appeared in the Magazines that Video Shops had and this would have been on Page 6 as one of those other releases that month but would have been better than some of the bigger releases.
Class of 1999 is classed as a futuristic sequel to class of 1984
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 18th November 2022, 08:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

In the Line of Fire (1993)

Nineties thrillers don't come much better than this tale of a Secret Service agent (Clint Eastwood) playing a deadly game of cat and mouse with a professional assassin (John Malkovich) who is out to kill the President.

Wolfgang Peterson's film is a beautifully crafted piece that pulls you in immediately. Clint Eastwood is on top form as is the sinister Malkovich, but it's also the rest of the cast including Rene Russo as Eastwood's fellow agent, John Mahoney, Dylan McDermott and many others who add extra gravitas to the film. The same can be also be said of Ennio Morricone's subtle score.

Although not an action packed movie it's very well paced and laced with tension, leading up to a fantastic pay off at the famous LA Bonaventure hotel.

A film which is 30 years old next year (Scary how time flies) and no matter how many times i watch it, it never feels dated nor does it become tiresome. They really don't make films like this anymore.
Old 18th November 2022, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes it's definitely a film of it's time with the fashion and muisc. But I did enjoy it . John Travolta spends his time with his mates and looking for woman he's listless in his life and his only passion is his dancing , his mouth would put a sailor to shame and he has no respect for women but things begin to change when he meets a young dancer and wants to do better by himself and begins to release what a bunch of tools most of his mates are , only takes rape and the death of a friend to make him change his ways.

Travolta certainly had the moves but I did end up fast forward the dancing and disco as the film went on.

Now watching

Followed by.

Old 18th November 2022, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Phantasm (1979)

Don Coscarelli's fantasy horror with sci-fi elements is a fun film that's wildly imaginative and also truly illogical - as far as i'm aware it's a film about a sort of demon as played by the excellent Angus Scrimm who has taken over a funeral home in order to send humans into another dimension where they become purple robed dwarf slaves or something like that.

The rest of the film is lovely horror though involving graveyard sex, innocents creeping round the macabre mortuary and the unforgettable flying silver sphere that drills out brains. Such a pity it was underused though, that thing should have caused blood drenched chaos throughout.

The Arrow Blu-ray looks superb. I didn't imagine it would look this good.
Old 19th November 2022, 08:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Gnome Named Gnorm. 1990.

A L.A.P.D cop is teamed with a Gnome who witnessed a murder when It arrived to the surface.

Saw this when it first came out to rent and forgot how funny it was, Anthony Michael Hall plays the up and coming detective trying to solve a murder and is teamed with a underground living Gnome who heard a guy scream. Jerry Orbach plays the police captain and Claudia Christian as his partner who thinks her partner is loosing his mind. Stan Winston took the helm with the director's chair with this oddball comedy mixed with a little bit of drama, not a spectacular movie but was good to see it again.

41l9wG9Y3TL.jpg
Old 19th November 2022, 12:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

TWO WITCHES – Two witches, two stories, interconnected and both sharing an obvious love of seventies Italian stuff. Mixed reviews didn’t deter me, but maybe I should’ve listened. It gives with one hand and takes with the other – candlelit atmosphere summons a shadowy vibe upskittled by juddery editing, flirtation with gore raises hopes but then sidesteps anything really transgressive, compact storytelling propels things along yet somehow seems to plod (because there’s not all that much going on?) You can’t expect to get everything right, but ‘Two Witches’, despite showing promise and hitting a few nicely queasy notes here and there, is a bit of a zero-sum game. It ends by telling us that part two is on the horizon – I’ll probably give it a chance, but it’s nice to be forewarned! Two witches maybe, two watches maybe not.

JACK O - Jack O’Lantern-headed monster is the reincarnation of a serial killer in this goofball delight from the mid nineties. I had intended to watch it as part of my CL Halloween countdown (remember that? Feels like it was yonks ago already), but somehow it slipped from my greasy grasp. I actually saw it on bonfire night. It was quite nice because I was over in the hinterlands of West Yorkshire at my folks’ house, where my old room overlooks the wooded playing field that hosts the town’s annual Guy Fawkes celebrations, and I put this on in the dark whilst the fire outside burned full tilt and lit the walls of my room with an orange glow. Very atmospheric, and the best thing about it was that it felt a bit like being inside a massive Jack O’Lantern, maybe the head of Jack-O himself. As for the film, it’s trashy fun with rubbish special effects and Linnea Quigley.
Old 19th November 2022, 01:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

JACK O - Jack O’Lantern-headed monster is the reincarnation of a serial killer in this goofball delight from the mid nineties. I had intended to watch it as part of my CL Halloween countdown (remember that? Feels like it was yonks ago already), but somehow it slipped from my greasy grasp. I actually saw it on bonfire night. It was quite nice because I was over in the hinterlands of West Yorkshire at my folks’ house, where my old room overlooks the wooded playing field that hosts the town’s annual Guy Fawkes celebrations, and I put this on in the dark whilst the fire outside burned full tilt and lit the walls of my room with an orange glow. Very atmospheric, and the best thing about it was that it felt a bit like being inside a massive Jack O’Lantern, maybe the head of Jack-O himself. As for the film, it’s trashy fun with rubbish special effects and Linnea Quigley.
With a room like that i'd be moving back in, Frankie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!