Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2022, 02:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Van Helsing. 2004.

Van Helsing is sent to Transylvania to help the last descendants of a family who have been trying to kill Dracula who wants to use Frankenstein's monster in a experiment.

A different take on the 'Stokers' character and enemy of Dracula, Stephen Sommers uses the Universal characters in this except the mummy surprisingly but does have the late Robbie Coltrane as Mr Hyde. Hugh Jackman plays the amnesiac Helsing sent with his weapons man David Wenham who are to help Kate Beckinsale fight Dracula and his brides.

This is one that's never to be taken seriously as their is a bit too much humour, Richard Roxburgh plays the dark Prince decently but doesn't have the darker tone that we are probably use to in films with the character and the film somewhat over does it with CGI that does work at times.

36765cca1eeec4a82b2c292cf013200b.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 20th November 2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 20th November 2022, 05:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Van Helsing. 2004.

Hugh Beckman plays the amnesiac Helsing
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th November 2022, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What ya mean Hugh Beckman?? Are you needing glasses

Think you need to cut out these late nights you been having lately
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th November 2022, 06:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
What ya mean Hugh Beckman?? Are you needing glasses

Think you need to cut out these late nights you been having lately
You can't hide the edited part of the post. It's there for all to see.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 20th November 2022, 06:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You can't hide the edited part of the post. It's there for all to see.
Edited part...oh that was me adding in a little extra to that post
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 21st November 2022, 08:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beverly Hills Cop. 1984.

A Detroit detective heads to Beverly Hills to investigate a friend's death and clashes with the L.A.P.D.

Classic crime caper action with Eddie Murphy as the Detroit detective who shows us how to stall a car with bananas, how to get a room in a posh hotel and having a big mouth can land you in shit.

John Ashton and Judge Reinhold play LA.'s finest of good cop daft cop who can bring some laughs with their facial expressions. Ronny Cox plays the Lieutenant who stands his ground on the book but does warm up to the out of town cop antics. Steven Been off plays the art dealer who deals in more than art and does have some wit about him.

Beverly_Hills_Cop_film_poster.jpg
Old 21st November 2022, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

John Candy is on holiday with his family when his annoying self serving brother in-law intrudes with his own family .while neither best it's still enjoyable with some good laughs .

It's pretty poor , the rock looks the part and it's nice and violent with him killing every bad guy he meets, but like other DC movies the special effects look shit and Justice Society came off as a bunch of useless tools apart from one of my favourite DC characters Doctor Fate but was under used and underpowered , Hawkman was a complete dick , you just wanted Black Adam too rip his wings off and beat him to death with them!

Now watching.

Old 21st November 2022, 09:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Shivers (1975)

David Cronenberg's film set in a vaguely futuristic high rise apartment block in which experiments with parasites cause an outbreak in the residents turning them into sex obsessed zombie-esq maniacs.

Icky and bloody, Shivers is a lot of fun and the director's first steps into horror and especially body horror. Although the parasites look like large turds they remain memorable and effective all these years later especially the scene where horror legend Barbara Steele ends up sharing a bath with one.

You know the more i think about it the more i get the feeling Cronenberg was heavily influenced by JG Ballard's novel High Rise that was released the same year. Not likely i hear you say, but Shivers was shot across a mere fifteen days so you never know. Cronenberg was clearly a fan of Ballard as he adapted Crash (1973) for the big screen in 1996.
Old 21st November 2022, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beverly Hills Cop II. 1987.

Axel returns to Beverly Hills after Bogomil is gunned down and helps solve those responsible for a series of robberies.

Eddie Murphy returns along with Judge Reinhold and John Ashton, this time taking on Jurgen Prochnow and Brigitte Nielsen. The laughs do come alot more and Foley using his skills to obtain a house to live in. Tony Scott took on the director's chair yet he can't be blamed for some plot holes and a few noticeable errors that can be easily seen but good for the action sequences and car chases.

p10003_p_v8_ak.jpg
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beverly Hills Cop III. 1994

After a botched raid on a car chop shop in Detritus, Axel finds himself back on Beverly Hills.

Eddie Murphy teams up with John Landis again for this third installment along with Judge Reinhold and Hector Elizondo, this time the main focus is a theme park run by John Saxon and Timothy Carhart as the head of security. As much as the previous two were good this seems to fall flat, even with John Saxon as one of the bad guys he doesn't have much screen time and does very little, there is hardly little comedy in this even though the actors do try to add in some moments. Decent enough for its shootouts and the return of Serge.

s-l1600.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!