Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2022, 01:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pink Panther.1963.

Inspector Jaques Clouseau travels to Rome to catch a jewel theif.

The one that started the franchise with David Niven as the ladies man Sir Charles Litton who is The Phantom thief along with his nephew Robert Wagner who underestimate the inspector played by Peter Sellers. The locations shots are done perfectly, what doesn't go right leads to laughs and the outcome is different than expected especially with Litton trying to rescue a dog next to a ski slope. Remember if your lady can't sleep at night play the violin

Pink_panther63.jpg
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Warrior (1981, Sisworo Guatama Putra)

Barry Prima in Indonesian epic, yes please.
Many many highlights. Hero gets turned into a pig? Check! Female character makes the ultimate sacrifice? Check! Recommended.

Zombie Rivals (1989, Godfrey Ho)

More fun with the Homaster. Featuring Richard Harrison mark II!!! A young man is shown a true path by training with the undead. No shit. Easily one of the saner (romantic subplot!) GH flicks whilst also being one of his insanest. Lawdy!!

Death Dimension (1978, Al Adamson)

AA sticks his oar into that sea of Blaxploitation, with Jim Kelly along for the ride ahem. Part Bond, Part Shaft, JK is tasked with fighting The Pig (I see a theme emerging!!) whilst Harold Sakata pops up from time to time to snarl. The plot is rather crazed, but told in AA's inimitable style

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Deathstalker (1983)

Imagine if you will a classic Conan or Red Sonja sword and sorcery film from the eighties, minus Arnold Schwarzenegger and with only a fifth of the budget.

Add more blood, more crazy creatures and way, way more boobs and you have Deathstalker. As far as cheesy and sleazy exploitation goes this is great fun and really doesn't disappoint.

The Blu-ray from 101 Films looks surprisingly good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deathstalkerposter.jpg (27.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd November 2022, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Shot In The Dark. 1964.

Inspector Clouseau is sent to investigate a murder of a chauffeur.

Here we have a who dunnit murder mystery and Elke Sommer being the prime suspect, George Sanders as the the prim and proper gentleman who may have something to hide and Herbert Lom who slowly develops the twitchy eye. Will be honest i saw this once and was never fond of it but now my sides are in agony with laughing so much, how George Sanders managed to keep a straight face I will never know, a great sequel.

Shot_in_the_dark.jpg
Old 23rd November 2022, 01:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Return of The Pink Panther. 1975.

The Pink Panther diamond has been stolen and Inspector Clouseau is back in the trail of The Phantom.

First time seeing this one in the franchise, this time Christopher Plummer takes on the role of Sir Charles and able to make the character a bit more funny with the finger scenario with Pepe. Herbert Lom returns as Dreyfuss who is hellbent on killing Clouseau and fails at every attempt. Catherine Schell plays Sir Charles wife who has her agenda with the diamond.

There is more slapstick humour right from the start when we see Clouseau and his comical fights with Cato, but do wonder how long he had been hiding in the fridge and the end fight was a laugh. Even with Sellers playing the bumbling inspector he has a way with mispronouncing his words which is quite comical and some scenes the cast must have been in hysterics.

download (1).jpeg
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

How I love ROTPP. Brutalised by the BBFC at the time, tis fun to watch it intact nowadays

Arabian Adventure (1979, John Dark)

A tale of derring do and carpets. Check the cast list, wooh mama etc. It rattles along at a decent pace and is the start of me birthday viewing spree, next up ... a film from 1987

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd November 2022, 07:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Arabian Adventure (1979, John Dark)

A tale of derring do and carpets. Check the cast list, wooh mama etc. It rattles along at a decent pace and is the start of me birthday viewing spree
One I saw at the cinema when it was first released!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd November 2022, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Awwww. That must have been fun now.

[B]
Old 23rd November 2022, 08:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

I know this film of the classic John Le Carre novel is well liked and i'm sure it's very worthy and so on but it leaves me cold. Even colder than the Cold War the events taking place are situated in.

As a rule i enjoy a good espionage thriller be it The Ipcress File, Billion Dollar Brain or Scorpio from the sixties and seventies to 21st century efforts like Bridge of Spies but this, probably the daddy of all things Cold War does absolutely nothing for me except bore me to tears.

A shame as it's really well acted by a cracking ensemble cast and it certainly looks the part but i simply don't like it and it annoys me a bit that i don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy_(film).jpg (96.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 23rd November 2022, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pink Panther Strikes Again. 1976.

Former Chief Inspector Dreyfuss escapes the psychiatric hospital, hires 26 assassins to kill Inspector Clouseau.

This is one of my favourite Pink Panther films, right at the start we see a calm Dreyfuss played again by Herbert Lom and thanks to Clouseau he is slowly having the thoughts of killing him. Mixed with the comical suspense background music with Clouseau looking for Cato with Dreyfuss in the flat below them is a laugh and a hoot. Sellers does more with the accent and pronouncing things differently and the good Oktoberfest always made me laugh.

MV5BMjc3MzQ4MDMxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDM1MTMyNA@@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!