Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Slap Shot 2: Breaking The Ice

The Charlestown Chiefs are back and this time they are bought by a Family Values Billionaire (Gary Busey) and are made to be the losing opponents of a Harlem Globetrotters type show. The Hanson Brothers are back in a much maligned Film but I rather liked it. It does show the dynamics of players who want to be proper Hockey Players but fear being typecast and those that realize that it's a better Career for them. The snobby Icebreakers are very unlikeable and want to see them beat. Stephen Baldwin stars as well.

Strange World

Disney's take on a 50's Sci-Fi Film/TV Show which sees a team of Explorers in a fictional country try to find out why the crops which are the source of their power supply are fading out. TBH, it's rather boring, wasn't really many funny jokes either.

I actually believe why they have this one out, the same week as Matilda: The Musical. I think that they know that this isn't a good Disney Movie and just want it out there and get it onto Disney+\
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssh2bti.jpg (9.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg sw.jpg (11.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Primal Scream (1987, William Murray)

Boy, can I pick 'em
A hardboiled sort finds a femme fatale feeling fragile and quite a few more besides in this crazed mashup. Tonal whiplash which does eventually even out ahem.
Recommended if only to hear other reactions to the .... whatever that happens .... during the ending and that

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th November 2022, 12:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

i simply don't like it and it annoys me a bit that i don't.
From memory, I was ambivalent about this when I saw it first, simply because of the pacing.

After the second viewing, I have grown to appreciate and enjoy the way the events unfold gradually and quite deliberately because a faster pace wouldn't suit the period or the people.

As you say, it's superbly cast and evokes the Cold War hero superbly, but I do feel the nature of espionage can either be very understated, as Tomas Alfredson does with the mystery of the mole's identity in this film, or like a James Bond or Bourne thriller with more emphasis on action and spectacle.

It's a film I can't watch unless I'm in the right mindset, giving it 100% attention and ready to concentrate on the multiple identities and motivations in the story.
Old 24th November 2022, 01:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

VAMPIRE CIRCUS. ( 1972 )

A plague ridden town, a bizarre travelling circus full of vampires able to change into animals and a whole lot more in this latter day Hammer gem.
And to top it all off, it’s got Lalla Ward in it
It’s a pity director Robert Young didn’t get the call for more Hammers, as he brings a real sense of style and surreal moments into the mix, making it one of the most distinctive of the company’s output.
Although the pq is pretty good, I fear this Blu Ray from Strawberry Media is the same print that’s been doing the rounds forever, it seems. It’s good, but could be a lot better. This Hammer classic needs the Indicator treatment!

BLOOD DELIRIUM. ( 1988 )

A crazed artist finds that womens blood is the perfect red colour for his paintings, in this sort of remake of COLOR ME BLOOD RED. In fact, some of the acting is so over the top, it wouldn’t be out of place in one of HG Lewis’ epics.
Needless to say, it’s all completely bonkers, but strangely entertaining.
Compellingly terrible.
Old 24th November 2022, 04:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Candle For The Devil. 1973.

Laura travels to Spain to join her sister at a hotel where she is staying only to be told she had left in that morning. When another young woman mysteriously leaves, Laura begins to suspect the two sisters are hiding something.

Aurora Bautista and Esperanza Roy play the two sisters who own a somewhat Gothic style guesthouse who punish those that they feel are inadequate to stay there for being sinners. Judy Geeson plays the young Laura who turns detective as to why two people have disappeared and fears there could be a third. I had somewhat mixed feelings going into this but surprisingly this was really enjoyable, nothing goes over the top, nice bit of blood splatter here and there, but can be suspenseful at times. One I would recommend.

candle-devil-half-sheet.jpg
Old 24th November 2022, 07:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Smile. 2022.

A young doctor traumatised by her mother's death when she was 10 feels she is being stalked by something supernatural.

This was a bit like The Ring meeting The Grudge, a curse that befalls someone before they die within 6 days. This seemed to focus on a traumatic occurrence passed from one person to another and a person trying to deal with it while trying to find a answer on how to get over it. The acting isn't too bad, strange seeing Kal Penn take on a serious role instead of a comedic role. There is some good make up effects, this may not be edge of your seat movie but go into it with a open mind and expect a lot of OTT swearing.

9AVZIBAV1EONHbv5QevlekVtr0z.jpg
Old 24th November 2022, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jack Nicholson plays a private eye who is hired by a wife who believes her husband is cheating on her, when it turns out it wasn't the man's wife and he later turns up dead things take a more dangerous and sinister turn. Well acted and directed noir.

It's by the team behind South park so you know what too expect . Here we can only have what is action movie crossed with a rude and foul mouthed Thunderbirds!

Puppets having sex , mass murder of actors and blowjobs. If you easily offended watch something else , if not sit back and enjoy .

It's Thanksgiving so it's my annual watch of this .

Old 24th November 2022, 08:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Smile. 2022.

A young doctor traumatised by her mother's death when she was 10 feels she is being stalked by something supernatural.

This was a bit like The Ring meeting The Grudge, a curse that befalls someone before they die within 6 days. This seemed to focus on a traumatic occurrence passed from one person to another and a person trying to deal with it while trying to find a answer on how to get over it. The acting isn't too bad, strange seeing Kal Penn take on a serious role instead of a comedic role. There is some good make up effects, this may not be edge of your seat movie but go into it with a open mind and expect a lot of OTT swearing.

Attachment 243565
I'll probably rent it on YT when it comes down in price.
On a side note, I tried the latest Jurassic World the other week. Couldn't make it past 30 minutes. So crap.
Old 24th November 2022, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All 3 of those JW things were great comedies I felt
nicholasrope, iank and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th November 2022, 11:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Smile. 2022.

Attachment 243565
Went cinema to watch this for some reason not sure why just couldn’t get into it, I found it quite dull boring and over rated tbh.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!