All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2022, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Went cinema to watch this for some reason not sure why just couldn’t get into it, I found it quite dull boring and over rated tbh.
After telling the Mrs about it im just wondering whether to give it another watch at some point or not.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 24th November 2022, 10:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Salem's Lot. 1979.

Another classic from the mind of Stephen King, writer Paul Monash certainly followed how King wrote the novel even though the character was different but certainly memorable. Right from the start in Mexico when the two new vampire hunters sense something is wrong then thrown right into the plot of Ben Mears returning to his home town along with two strangers. Everyone does a great job with their acting skills even James Mason giving off the calm sinister guard and delivering the line "You'll enjoy Mr Barlow, and he'll enjoy you" with a smirk is a great way to be more sinister than ever.

Tobe Hooper knew how to create a tense atmosphere especially with his camera work especially with two scenes, at the cemetery where Mike is filling in a grave and then opens it up and you know something is going to happen, then you think it won't and it does. David Soul does a great part as Ben when he knows something is wrong and with the body of Marge Glick in the morgue being calm and then his face and voice changes to fear when she slowly arises.

Salemslotthemovie.jpg
Old 26th November 2022, 01:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mary, Queen Of Scots. 1971.

During the 16th century Mary, Queen Of Scotland engages in conflict with her cousin Queen Elizabeth 1st Of England.

Even though both Queens never met allegedly, but watching Glenda Jackson and Vanessa Redgrave on screen is amazing, both lead stars have their acting skills tested and manage to pull off playing the roles. A young Timothy Dalton plays the selfish Lord Danley decently and his plot to be king is well acted and his death is accurate and not overdone. Ian Holm has a short on screen presence and along with Andrew Keir, Patrick McGoohan plays the brother of Mary and always holds a good screen portrayal.

download.jpeg
Old 26th November 2022, 03:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Owners. 2020.

Four young ones decide to rob a house of a doctor and his wife who are out, but when they return, the group find out the old couple aren't so innocent as they appear to be.

Home invasion films have taught us never mess with vulnerable people as they can easily turn and these old couple do turn the tables. It does take a while for things to pick up and we are not disappointed. Sylvester McCoy and Rita Tushingham play the not so sweet old couple while Maisie Williams, Jake Curran, Andrew Ellis and Ian Kenny play the home invaders. Something that has been seen and done before but certainly entertaining.

81VVNuUf-vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 26th November 2022, 01:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

HELLRAISER – I know people groan when they hear about their sacred cows being massacred by someone with a bigger budget and plans for a revival, but still I went in with an open mind – after all, it’s not like the original doesn’t have its flaws. The thing about ‘Hellraiser 2022’ is that it’s a good, solid stab at genre filmmaking, but no more. In such a crowded landscape, how can that stand out? Like fellow contender ‘Candyman’, ‘Hellraiser 2022’ is a ‘reconfiguration’ rather than a remake. That it’s about a recovering addict and her co-dependent relationships might drag it closer to ‘the now’, but somehow it’s more conventional than the original – here the goodies are centre stage, whereas Kirsty from the first film was more like a tepid Cinderella type who muddled through in the shadow of Clare Higgins’ murderous rage, someone on the sidelines who just happened to make good when all the interesting stuff was happening somewhere else. The villainy here is pat, digestible, and the form it takes, a crap uber-narcissist called Voigt, is as dismissible as he is despicable; he may plan to use Pinhead’s box of tricks to shit on humanity, but he’s a little difficult to take seriously with that occult kitchen unit sticking out of his stomach. I’m being a bit harsh, perhaps. ‘Hellraiser 2022’ was always bound to raise unrealistic expectations. But you’d feel conned in the absence of just something a little bit special, even a twinge of the original’s delight in sheer wickedness and grand guignol. The positives – an atmospheric latter third, general watchability, good monsters (unlike the rest of the planet I like the new Cenobites) must be weighed against the brutal truth that this film is more reminiscent of a good, more expensive ‘Hellraiser’ sequel rather than a visionary re-fashioning.
Old 26th November 2022, 08:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Phantasm II (1988)

Nine years after the original Phantasm, director Don Coscarelli along with stars Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister return with this sequel set seven years later.

In truth it's simply more of the same except with guns this time and the silver spheres, which don't appear for the first hour meaning i'd forgotten they were in it, actually have a bit more screen time. Plus there's three of them and they have differing ways of drilling heads. Which was nice.

Although the film loses much of the surreal impact of the original, the additional action, much of which is gleefully gloopy, means i didn't have any less fun with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phantasm_II.jpg (27.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 26th November 2022, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

6 Bullets. 2012.

A ex mercenary is hired by a mixed martial artist to.find his daughter who has been kidnapped in Romania.

This was a decent JCVD movie here he plays Samson who's last mission went wrong and is out the game of finding missing people and encouraged back after a girl is kidnapped. Joe Flanigan who can hold his own ground on acting and fighting style and Anna-louise Plowman plays Flanigan's wife who ends up going from being a traumatic parent to finding her strength.

The fight scenes are minimal but we see how sadistic Van Damme can be when pushed to his limits with torture and not show any remorse or even flinching. One for a re-watch.

MV5BMjIxODAzNTIzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE2ODg5Nw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 26th November 2022, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Bones And All

A Teenage Girl who has cannibalistic tendencies travels to find her Mom, along the way, she encounters others like her. In the reviews it mentioned it's like Twilight (Not a good thing) and whilst it's slow, it does have it's violent moments. Mark Rylance does his role well in a Film that had my attention but it's probably not one I will return to.

BTW, whenever a Film gets an 18 certificate, I check to make sure it's a earned certificate, not one of those that's an 18 because it dwells on a cutting scene for too long...etc. It's earned.

She Said

A Film based on the Harvey Weinstein Scandal and how 2 Reporters brought him down. This was a very well made Film with excellent performances from Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan.

Whilst the subject matters are truly awful, if you enjoyed Spotlight, then give this a go.

Can see this being up there in the Oscars Race.

Matilda

2022 British Remake of the Roald Dahl Film in which a gifted Girl who gets her revenge on the Headmistress and Parents. Pam Ferris did Miss Trunchbull better in a Film that has it's differences from the 1996 version but it's too long and the Songs just aren't catchy or memorable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baa.jpg (7.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shs.jpg (5.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg m.jpg (9.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th November 2022, 09:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
6 Bullets. 2012.

This was a decent JCVD movie
Have you seen 2015's Pound of Flesh?

It's bonkers but great fun. He gets drugged and has his kidney taken by organ thieves. Five minutes after he wakes he stitches himself up and is running down the street twatting people and bounding over cars.

Loved it.
Old 26th November 2022, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen 2015's Pound of Flesh?

It's bonkers but great fun. He gets drugged and has his kidney taken by organ thieves. Five minutes after he wakes he stitches himself up and is running down the street twatting people and bounding over cars.

Loved it.
Thank you Mr Demdike, I have seen then film and was trying to remember the title, the film where JCVD takes a bible with him for inspiration

Like this? Share it using the links below!