Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2022, 02:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

She Said (2022) ★★★★½

Based on the book of the same name by New York Times reporters Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, She Said follows Twohey and Kantor (Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan, respectively) as they investigate the rumours and accounts of Harvey Weinstein's harassment, bullying, and sexual assault against women.

The film unfolds a little like Spotlight and Dark Waters, two compelling films about real-life journalist-led investigations into serious criminality and the powerful cover-ups that perpetuated them. With this, the investigation – that began with Twohey and Kantor reporting the multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against Donald Trump in 2016 – is very difficult because so many women are either silenced by fear or the nondisclosure agreements (NDAs) they signed with Weinstein and Miramax, often for a financial settlement.

Maria Schrader handles the directing duties extremely well, allowing the two lead actors to flourish, inhabiting their roles with conviction, and I found myself becoming emotionally invested in their private and professional lives. Additionally, the film is exceptionally well paced by Schrader and editor Hansjörg Weißbrich, and Nicholas Britell's score is pitch perfect.

Because of the length and depth of the investigation, reflected in the 300+ page book, the adapted screenplay by Rebecca Lenkiewicz is very well structured and, while treating the audience as intelligent adults, does not become confusing with the huge numbers of names involved. I don't think it's lazy or dismissive to describe this as All the President's Men for the #MeToo movement.

Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan are both utterly convincing in the main roles and it helps to have a supporting cast including Patricia Clarkson, Andre Braugher, Jennifer Ehle, and Samantha Morton, with Ashley Judd and Gwyneth Paltrow appearing as themselves. (Although Paltrow doesn't appear, she reprises a phone conversation with Jodi Kantor.) Judd's bravery in reliving her experiences again is commendable.

Although the way the events concluded is fairly common knowledge, I was surprised by how much dramatic tension exists in the film – it's a compelling and occasionally gripping watch – and it should be a staple at next year's industry awards.

It's the first film I've seen at the cinema since February, 2020, when I went to watch Parasite!
Old 29th November 2022, 04:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Batman Begins. 2005.

Billionaire Bruce Wayne prepares to take on crime and corruption in Gotham City using a persona of a caped crusader known as "Batman".

Christopher Nolan's take on the DC Comic character and does go back how Wayne took on the persona and why he choose bats as they can be feared, the training he went through to be invisible like a ninja and the clothes, gadgets and the bat mobile. Christian Bale's take on the character is great, i'm still a fan of Micheal Keaton's film but Bale is a lot better than Val Kilmer and George Clooney's take on the character.

Katie Holmes shows she can be tough as the D.A. who likes to try and rattle a few cages, along with Gary Oldman as Sergeant Gordon who rises to Lieutenant and able to pull off being a decent policeman. I didn't think Michael Caine could pull it off as Alfred but he does and able to bring some laughs in. Cillian Murphy plays the Dr Crane/Scarecrow and shows he isn't to be intimidated along with Liam Neeson taking the role of Bruce's mentor and antagonist who has darker plans for Gotham. As the film goes on it does become darker and darker especially towards the end during the riots in "The Narrows" and effects are decently some when people are exposed to the toxin that's released, this took me a couple of watches to actually appreciate the story to it.

s-l300 (1).jpg
Old 29th November 2022, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Something In The Dirt (Benson/ Moorehead)

Two mismatched neighbours find common ground when something unusual begins to happen in their locale. The directors star in this one, so you can finally get a look at them .
I liked this one despite a lukewarm finale (or I hadn't been paying enough attention ), so will be revisiting shortly methinks. Told in a slightly non linear way, tis another good looking film, I will say. Hmmmm.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th November 2022, 08:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth. 2000.

Teens at a school are being stalked by a masked killer.

The Mrs wanted a comedy on so I put her through this, tbh she is a big scary movie fan but this she was laughing non stop and I prefer this over Scary Movie, the acting is was you expect it to be in a parody movie and this totally rips the piss out of itself and that's what makes it more comical.

60020575.jpg
Old 29th November 2022, 09:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Harpoon (2009, Julius Kemp)

A charming tale of the sea. Holidaymakers frolic on a cruise made for whale watching, love can't be far behind can it?
I digress
A fairly bleak wee thing this. Gunnar Hansen obviously wanted to see snow but don't blink and that. The usual unlikeables parade about, some quesy humour but a sour tone remains. Fine if that's what you're looking for in fact. Grumpy Demon!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th November 2022, 09:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Harpoon (2009, Julius Kemp)

A charming tale of the sea. Holidaymakers frolic on a cruise made for whale watching, love can't be far behind can it?
I digress
A fairly bleak wee thing this. Gunnar Hansen obviously wanted to see snow but don't blink and that. The usual unlikeables parade about, some quesy humour but a sour tone remains. Fine if that's what you're looking for in fact. Grumpy Demon!
Why so grumpy? Not enough exhumation for you?

It made me grumpy because it's not gory or violent enough.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 30th November 2022, 04:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

True, it's neither one thing nor another. Am sick of these "rounded" characters, give me the bubblehead, the jock and the stoner ffs

[B]
Old 30th November 2022, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eastern Promises. 2007.

A midwife tries to find out what happened to a girl who died giving birth while looking for clues in a diary that she finds and leads her to think a Russian family is involved.

This was something different from David Cronenberg, A History Of Violence showed us that he can direct a action thriller type film, this is more crime thriller that basically doesn't slow down or drag on in any places. Naomi Watts plays the midwife who seeks answers for a orphan child and doesn't like what she finds. Viggo Motensen plays the driver of Vincent Cassel and seems to leave clues about. Cassel plays the son of old school russian mobster and can be ruthless but shows how sensitive he can be towards the end. Decently made and certainly enjoyable.

download (1).jpeg
Old 30th November 2022, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Dirty Games

British Film about Contestants on a Game Show who must end up a Couple but have to complete tasks set by the Viewers. However things turn violent. It's got a no-name Cast (But there is a Jason Momoa lookalike) and the Cover and write-up describe it has much more than it delivers. Not even that violent.

Clockwise

1985 British Comedy which stars John Cleese as a Headmaster who is very strict about timekeeping and after he is given the role as a Head of a Headmasters Association, he ends up getting on the wrong Train and faces a race against time in order to not be late.

He ends up getting a lift from one of his Female Pupils and a whole lot of mishaps and miscommunications along the way including, his Wife thinking that he's having affair and Kidnapping.

This Film and it's Cover is one of my earliest Film memories (It was advertised on the Rental VHS of Santa Clause: The Movie) and this was the 1st time, I've actually seen this Film and I rather enjoyed it. I found it to be funny, even though, I didn't like that the Girl was actually having a affair with another Teacher storyline. I was also glad that there wasn't any of the Of It's time kind of scenes and/or dialogue. Penelope Wilton Co-Stars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dg.jpg (9.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (15.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 1st December 2022, 01:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Dark Knight. 2008.

Christopher Nolan's sequel to Batman Begins and this certainly lived up to the hype that was advertised 14 years ago and still going strong. Christian Bale seemed to adapt to the character of Bruce Wayne and we also see helearning to keep the Batman persona serperate from his regular billionaire side a struggle with good creative writing. Gary Oldman returns as Gordon and Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent who wants to clean up Gotham and using Batman as help and back up. Maggie Gyllenhaal steps into the role of Rachel that was previously played by Katie Holmes and shows the character to be stronger than before.

Caesar Romero and Jack Nicholson brought the character Joker to the screen with some wit and humour but Heath Ledger went further than these two. Ok he brought some humour but he is more menacing and plays the psychological mind games with a darker side without even blinking. Even the make up especially round the eyes gives him that creepy look that you don't want to make eye contact with him. Right from the start there is no delay in getting to the plot on how insane the Joker is and how he plays everyone against each other.

download (2).jpeg

Like this? Share it using the links below!