LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2023, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Now you need to watch the 5hrs+ of extras on the disc

I watched both this and part 2 back to back a couple of months back, love them both.
I was never as keen on Part 2. The comedy totally took over if i recall correctly and i didn't rate it. I have only seen it the one time back on vhs though.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 29th January 2023, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was never as keen on Part 2. The comedy totally took over if i recall correctly and i didn't rate it. I have only seen it the one time back on vhs though.

It definitely got that late 80s vibe to it, not a proper horror but with the tropes of a horror film. It’s got kids as main characters too and I know how much you hate that!
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th January 2023, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It definitely got that late 80s vibe to it, not a proper horror but with the tropes of a horror film. It’s got kids as main characters too and I know how much you hate that!
*Shudders*
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 30th January 2023, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prince Of Darkness. 1987

John Carpenter delivers the atmosphere, tension and suspense with the fear factor in this and combining science and religion together. Made before The Church, a place of worship is supposed to be a safe sanctuary, here he is able to turn it around and make it a place of evil dwelling with outsiders that look like they are suffering schizophrenia.

Donald Pleasance delivers everything from being petrified with the first sight of the mysterious container then believing the dark green form is evil and how to try and stop it. Victor Wong is the chief scientist who doesn't believe in matters that science has already proven and nothing else to prove until he is face to face with something he can't answer.

Right from the start to a elderly priest and could have been confessing his sins, did he die naturally or was the secret he was about to confess kill him...who knows. There is a brilliant but slow character build up of the students and what their study/PhD degrees are. Carpenter returned to the independent circuit with this and certainly knew how to create horror and shows Robert Grasmere falling to bits.

MV5BMjM5MjcxNTk2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzI5NjcyNjM@._V1_.jpg
Old 30th January 2023, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Salvage. 2009.

A small budget independent British film using the set of a old soap becomes a hunting ground and a battle field between a specials ops team, local residents and a unknown creature. This is one of those small idea movies that you don't need any big acting names or a whole bunch of actors running about, the director managed to set up a good tense and suspenseful atmosphere.

p7899519_v_v13_ac.jpg
Old 30th January 2023, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Salvage. 2009.

A small budget independent British film using the set of a old soap becomes a hunting ground and a battle field between a specials ops team, local residents and a unknown creature. This is one of those small idea movies that you don't need any big acting names or a whole bunch of actors running about, the director managed to set up a good tense and suspenseful atmosphere.

Attachment 244515
Just a typical day in Liverpool isn't it?
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 30th January 2023, 10:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Just a typical day in Liverpool isn't it?
You will need to ask Justin about that
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 30th January 2023, 10:58 PM
Cult Addict

Monster a-Go Go. Bill Rebane. 1965.

Well what do I do with this? This apparently has a rep for being one of the worst movies ever. I actually didn't think it that awful, while it really really isn't good either. Basically a space capsule crash lands back on earth and the astronaut on board disappears. Cue attacks by a strange radioactive 10ft tall giant ugly fella. Now while not massively inventive, its not a bad premise, certainly one that has worked well elsewhere. The basic problem seems to be the simple lack of any real excitement or mystery or...well anything. Here's what I think happened. One night old Bill, Bill Rebane that is, already a man with cinematic aspirations, wandered into his local fleapit just off main street Wisconsin. The film showing was Val Guests brilliant The Quatermass Experiment. A groundbreaking sci-fi shocker from Hammer films. Rebane was inspired. The rest is history as they say.
Except...that fateful night in the late 1950s. Rebane hadn't wandered into that local movie house entirely sober. In fact he'd happened to have previously imbibed about 9 cans of Kestrel Super. He went on to cobble together this film based on the vaguest recollections he could muster and simply fill it out with people speaking. Speaking anything. Get an actress to scream occasionally and film a reasonably tall ugly bloke from below in order to enhance the appearance of height and Bob's your uncle.
I've seen bad films. I like bad films of the so good they're bad variety. Monster a-Go Go isn't that. It's just dull, and pointless. The one and only plus point I'd give it is the sudden, abrupt and actually intriguing ending. Says something that the best bit of the film is a mystery never answered because the film decided to end first.
Not recommended. Although I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Last edited by J Harker; 30th January 2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 30th January 2023, 11:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Monster a-Go Go. Bill Rebane. 1965.

He went on to cobble together this film based on the vaguest recollections he could muster and simply fill it out with people speaking. Speaking anything.
Haha! I laughed out loud when i read this line.

Brilliant.

.................................................. ................

I can't see me ever seeing it i'm afraid, J.

I had my fingers burnt too much by that HG Lewis box set to buy Weird Wisconsin or that other similar set of William Grefe titles.
J Harker and nicholasrope like this.
Old 30th January 2023, 11:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Haha! I laughed out loud when i read this line.

Brilliant.

.................................................. ................

I can't see me ever seeing it i'm afraid, J.

I had my fingers burnt too much by that HG Lewis box set to buy Weird Wisconsin or that other similar set of William Grefe titles.
Tell you what, if the rest of the set don't improve off to CEX it will be going. I don't mind giving it a chance by watching but its nothing to hold on to.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!