Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2023, 02:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Crypt Of The Living Dead is one of those that you don't expect much but you can't take your eyes off the screen.

Aas High Risk known as Meltdown, if it is the same film then I second the recommendation.
Yes HR was renamed Meltdown for the US market.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th February 2023, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
As with all films we've never seen it's a gamble.

I wonder if watching it directly after the explosive finale to Pennyworth season two impacted on my viewing pleasure.

Even without the image issues I don't think this would be staying long in my collection, especially as Cex give you more credit than i paid for it new.

3 copies of the Blu-ray in the Liverpool CEX!
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th February 2023, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

War Dog (1987, Bjorn Carlstrom)

Swedish actioner.
What's a man to do when he isn't quite convinced he's just buried his brother?
Rampage ..... that's what. Slimy governmentals litter the shadows, whispering black thoughts, which only adds to his ire.
Low budget, but still a total squibtastic hoot
Recommended. (tis on the YT, as I don't see a 5K release on the horizon sadly .... )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th February 2023, 07:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The River (1984)

Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek star in this story of a struggling farming family in the Tennessee valley trying to keep its farm from going under in the face of bank foreclosures and floods. Not to mention unscrupulous businessman Scott Glenn who intends to flood the area so he can build a new dam.

An enjoyable film with drama that still resonates today that although doesn't quite hit the heights remains engaging throughout. It's occasionally harrowing - the scenes at the steel mill and Spacek trapped under a tractor - but culminates in a life affirming ending.

The cinematography is excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riverposter.jpg (26.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th February 2023, 12:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Seed (2021, Sam Walker)

He made Pool Shark, a bizarre wee short that tickled me at the time, but this ....
3 friends retire to an isolated spot to witness a meteor shower. Sounds innocent enough?
I know I always scream haughtily about suspension of disbelief, but on lots of levels this one takes the biscuit barrel
When something airborne lands in your pool , surely it's time for the hazmat suit to get an airing, yes?
Well then ....

Terror Squad (1987, Peter Maris)

Pretending to be The Breakfast Club, whilst really you are Invasion USA
A silly thing where sweaty terrorists (Islamic variety) have Chuck Connors on their tail after a wee contratemps at the local nuclear power station goes sour
Mayhem and carnage ensue. The stunts are plentiful and quite mad in places. It was just all a bit rote though ... shame as it has all the elements.

[B]
Old 8th February 2023, 05:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deep Red. 1975.

I'm not gonna string this out to a long scroll as it's probably been talked about a Lot but the Arrow 4K is the best version I have seen of this Argento classic. Presented fully uncut, sound and picture quality is at its finest sharp. Only warning I will give out, it's only blu-ray single disc version I bought, it is only in Italian audio with subtitles.

MV5BYTg4MjczZWMtMzAzNS00NzUwLWEwNzYtZmUzZGJjNjA1OTdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_QL75_UX190_.jpg
Old 8th February 2023, 07:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Lady Frankenstein (1971)

Joseph Cotton plays Baron Frankenstein, whose latest cobbled together creation goes on a murderous rampage beginning with its creator. The Baron's gorgeous daughter, Tania (Rosalba Neri) begins work on a creature of her own.

Lady Frankenstein is a largely unknown gem of a film in Frankenstein circles. Loosely based on the oft filmed Mary Shelley story, the film in its first half doesn't really add anything to the legend. However once the Baron is dead and Tania gets to work it becomes a different beast altogether. The Cotten created creature wanders round the countryside killing all in its path, it really is a gruesome sight with its face partly burned away and an eye protruding, even if it is decidedly clumsy looking in it's movements and nowhere near as impressive as Boris Karloff or Christopher Lee. Meanwhile Tania, manipulates those around her as she murderously creates her own creature - a kind of brainy sex doll - created with Paul Muller's brilliant brain installed into Marino Masé's toned body.

The film has lovely Gothic trappings, the castle, the laboratory filled with glass instruments immediately brings Peter Cushing's Hammer films to mind, although i don't ever recall Cushing having sex with his creation. Rosalba Neri plays the role of Tania with a gusto and as usual disrobes at a whim. The final scene where Tania is murdered by her creation whilst they make love as the local village mob burn the castle down needs to be seen to be believed. Joseph Cotton, best known from The Third Man, plays the Baron without sending it up and its a shame when he departs the action after only half an hour. His place as leading man is taken by Mickey Hargitay, who is on hand to investigate the murders, unfortunately director Mel Welles doesn't really know what to do with him, so Hargitay just seems to stand around for much of his screen time.

Lady Frankenstein occasionally brings something new to the table, it isn't just a run of the mill Frankenstein movie and has more in common with Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) for example in that it quickly dispenses with formula and brings it's own ideas to the table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laf.jpg (33.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th February 2023, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hellboy. 2004.

Guillermo Del Toro's original take on the comic I forgot it was this entertaining, Ron Perlman's take on the character is brilliant as the demon hunter with some comical aspects that can give out a good laugh. Both Perlman and Doug Jones (who is no stranger to make up effects) must have endured a long process of having everything applied and Rick Baker doing his magic for both characters. The film does play homage to Lovecraft and has a feel of Cthulhu with the monsters and the dark tone of the film towards the start and ending that adds some gothic elements to it.

download.jpeg
Old 8th February 2023, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House Of Seven Corpses (1974, Paul Harrison)

Filming a horror flick in an old mansion where John Carradine is the caretaker?
Nothing will go wrong here surely?
Thought I'd seen this one, but was pleasantly surprised to find I hadn't. The male lead is a preening drunk, the director is a neurotic blowhard etc etc. It sets up its stall and then off we go. Will be revisiting this one shortly.

[B]
Old 9th February 2023, 12:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hellboy II: The Golden Army 2008.

Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor and Doug Jones return for this sequel, no disrespect to Doug who does Abe but not hearing David Hyde Pierce doing the voice is a bit strange and does throw the character off a bit but doesn't stop Abe and Hellboy getting a bit plastered. Luke Gross plays the Prince who wants to control a army and take over the world, the fighting choreography is quite decent in this along with the visual effects. First time actually sitting down and watching this and did enjoy it bit not as I enjoyed the first one, but a re watch will happen.

image.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!