All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2023, 04:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Haunting of Margam Castle (2020)

A very low budget film with a surprisingly starry cast (Derren Nesbitt, Jane Merrow, Caroline Munro, Garrick Hagon, Judy Matheson) as well as some paranormal investigators - all young actors probably friends of the producer with minimal acting ability but at least they try hard.

The film itself is deeply flawed with a script that's pretty bizarre in places due to incompetent writing and some equally incompetent acting by all except Nesbitt. It's also not in the least bit horrifying (although there were one or two really cool ghostly shots). However there's also a lot i really enjoyed.

Margam Castle (A genuine Victorian mansion in South Wales) is a stunning location - Seriously, every old dark house movie should be filmed there - and the cinematography complements it beautifully with some amazing shots. The score is also excellent. A mixture of known public domain classics beautifully arranged and new music which as an accompaniment to the photography brings a soothing calmness to the ham fistedness of other parts of the film.

It actually has enough about it technically to make it an enjoyable watch even on second viewing and i was never bored.
Old 16th March 2023, 07:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Haunting of Margam Castle (2020)

A very low budget film with a surprisingly starry cast (Derren Nesbitt, Jane Merrow, Caroline Munro, Garrick Hagon, Judy Matheson) as well as some paranormal investigators - all young actors probably friends of the producer with minimal acting ability but at least they try hard.

The film itself is deeply flawed with a script that's pretty bizarre in places due to incompetent writing and some equally incompetent acting by all except Nesbitt. It's also not in the least bit horrifying (although there were one or two really cool ghostly shots). However there's also a lot i really enjoyed.

Margam Castle (A genuine Victorian mansion in South Wales) is a stunning location - Seriously, every old dark house movie should be filmed there - and the cinematography complements it beautifully with some amazing shots. The score is also excellent. A mixture of known public domain classics beautifully arranged and new music which as an accompaniment to the photography brings a soothing calmness to the ham fistedness of other parts of the film.

It actually has enough about it technically to make it an enjoyable watch even on second viewing and i was never bored.
About 40 minutes away from me.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th March 2023, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
About 40 minutes away from me.

Have you been? Is it a place you can visit?

The interiors are gorgeous.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th March 2023, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hot Tub Time Machine

Comedy which sees a group of friends transported via Hot Tub back to the 1980's. In theory it shouldn't have worked but there are some quite funny bits including a man phoning his future Wife (She was 9 at the time) and shouting at her for having a affair and John Cusack's character having to hear his Sister in the middle of making his Nephew otherwise he'd never be born.

Sequel's awful.

The Final Destination

4th in the series, you knew the script. This time it's a Speedway Accident, a winkle in the plot is that the main character is able to see the new accidents. Really short (78 Minutes) and the F/X this time aren't as good, due to the fact it was filmed in 3D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg httm.jpg (12.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg tfd.jpg (16.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 16th March 2023, 10:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
No, it's an area I've driven through dozens of times but never visited.

http://www.margamcountrypark.co.uk/
nicholasrope likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 17th March 2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 17th March 2023, 02:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

463215-0-small.jpg
AIRPLANE (1980)

I had nort seen this in ages, years! Really enjoyed seeing it again.
I saw it in the cinema on release and that was the last time I saw a movie with a support feature. The support movie was Goldie Hawn's FOUL PLAY (1978)

airplane-II-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg
AIRPLANE II THE SEQUEL (1982)

First time I have seen this. Affer warching AIRPLANE again I thought I'd try the sequel. Enjoyed this one as well. Basically a retred of the first movie but still with some great gags.

825878322124481_mainphotos.jpg
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (1990)

Another movie I'd not seen in years and another movie I saw at the cinema when the Turtle craze was going on.
At the time, the Turtle suits were very advanced and were worked on by the legend Jim Henson and his creature shop. The suits still look good and the Splinter puppet holds up well also.
** You can pick up this movie very cheap now on DVD, but the 2005 release is the best disc. The later release in 2019 is very heavy DNR and looks like s**t. Same with the Blu ray.
Old 17th March 2023, 02:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deathgasm (2015)

I really didn't get on with this demons and metal music horror comedy first time around but enjoyed it more last night.

One or two cool band references and a bit of Norwegian Black Metal legends Emperor on the soundtrack were just bonuses on top of a decent horror comedy with ample gore.

It's a pity that second lead James Blake as Zakk is so unlikable and there's nothing you won't have seen before in other 'mates vs demons' movies but i certainly dug it more on a second viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deathgasm-Theatrical-Poster_FINAL.jpg (95.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th March 2023, 02:45 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 245230
AIRPLANE (1980)

I had nort seen this in ages, years! Really enjoyed seeing it again.
I saw it in the cinema on release and that was the last time I saw a movie with a support feature. The support movie was Goldie Hawn's FOUL PLAY (1978)
Really?

When I saw 'Airplane' at the cinema, the 'B' movie was a sadly forgotten b/w werewolf spoof called 'Cry Wolf'
nicholasrope likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th March 2023, 02:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Really?

When I saw 'Airplane' at the cinema, the 'B' movie was a sadly forgotten b/w werewolf spoof called 'Cry Wolf'
It was double billed with both Life of Brian and Rocky 3 at some stage.

I didn't know about Rocky 3 until i just looked it up but saw on a Michael Palin extra on one of his round the world adventures recently the poster showing Brian with Airplane.
Old 17th March 2023, 03:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Seems you can even book overnight ghost hunts at the place.

nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!