Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Fast X

The gang is back together and this time the Son of the villain from Fast V wants revenge. Lets face it, if you like the recent ones, you'd probably like this one (I thought it's the best one since V) If you don't like them and then this one won't change your mind. I really enjoyed Jason Momoa's performance in this, he stole this Movie in which he seemed to channel is inner Joker and Jack Sparrow.

SPOILER:
It leaves on a cliffhanger and with the return of Gal Gadot, you can't take any of the deaths seriously.

Nowhere To Run

Jean-Claude Van Damme is on the run and ends up protecting Rosanna Arquette and her children as they have to fend off Joss Ackland and his heavies as he wants her land. Not as action packed as some of Van Damme's previous films but it's rather enjoyable.

A-Team

Movie Adaption of the 80's TV show which sees Liam Neeson lead Bradley Cooper, Quentin Jackson and Sharlto Copley as they try to clear their names after being framed. Dodgy CGI aside, I thought that this was a lot of fun with Jackson being afraid to fly after Copley flies a Helicopter quite funny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fx.jpg (11.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ntr.jpg (14.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg at.jpg (15.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

I don't know if last night i was simply in the right mood but i thought this much maligned ninth X-Men installment was excellent.

I have seen it before but couldn't have told you a thing about it prior to putting on the Blu-ray so it was like watching a new film.

It's a fairly straightforward story about the first mutant the ancient En Sabah Nur aka Apocalypse is inadvertently revived in 1983, and he plans to wipe out modern civilization and take over the world, leading the X-Men to try to stop him and defeat his team of mutants which includes Magneto (Michael Fessbender)

The story introduces characters and allows them time to breathe such as giving Magneto a new life and then cruelly taking it away from him, before we get to some cracking action set pieces and a wonderfully constructed sequence where Quicksilver (Evan Peters) saves everyone from an explosion that destroys Charles Xavier's (James McAvoy) school for the gifted.

As extras in the fun department we have both Venom with Countess Bathory and Metallica (The Four Horsemen) on the soundtrack plus an obligatory and very relevant cameo from you know who.
I couldn't tell you a thing about this Film either.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I couldn't tell you a thing about this Film either.
I turned it off, I think. Can't remember a thing and haven't watched the main franchise since. However I don't know if Apocalypse is any good or not. It obviously wasn't working for me, to turn it off. May have been a bad night because I can't remember anything particularly wrong with it.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.

Last edited by J Harker; 22nd May 2023 at 10:35 PM.
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

American Ultra. 2015.

Jesse Eisenberg plays Mike who is a laid back stoner working as a store clerk and has a steady girlfriend Kirsten Stewart who he wants to propose to but both under surveillance by the C.I.A. as Mike is a amnesiac assassin. Another C.I.A film where they want to exterminate a former employee who has been trained to use anything at their disposal but with a twist, the hit squad is former mental asylum inmates along with another twist that I didn't see coming. This is flagged as a action/comedy but the comedy isn't exactly laugh out loud but tends to make you snigger a few times. If you can take Eisenberg as a action hero then you may enjoy it where as some may not take it serious and enjoy it for the action.

images (3).jpg
Old 23rd May 2023, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Peppermint. 2018.

Jennifer Garner plays the loving wife and mother who's happy life is turned upside down when both her loved ones are gunned down and the bad guys are set free. Few years later the three bad guys are found dead and soon those connected to the trial start turning up dead.

I'm sure we all love watching these revenge flicks and get a bit of a boost when karma comes, not sure what it is when women go on the hunt and get a bigger feel of satisfaction when it happens. I may not be a big Jennifer Garner fan but in this she shows what can happen to those that go into exile and come out bad ass and get a cheer when a satisfying punch is laid on another bitchy parent. This is certainly would watch again.

Poster.jpg
Old 23rd May 2023, 06:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

‎Scarecrow (2013)

A group of teens help fix their friends family farm and end up prey to a deadly scarecrow.

A reasonably enjoyable if not outstanding horror film that tries it's luck at urban legends and folklore with it's 100 year old killer scarecrow tale. There's some fun gore FX and the scarecrow, although entirely CGI, looks the business if not exactly scarecrow like in any conventional sense, more some Evil Dead like tree demon that makes it's way out of the ground.

The teens, headed by Lacey Chabert are okay - you don't hate them all from the first minute - and the story line is quite surprising in how it gets to it's finale. Put it this way you won't be able to guess the location where the finale plays out in a million years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91ZO5fLhzsL._AC_SY445_.jpg (26.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th May 2023, 03:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Don't Kill It (2016)

Dolph Lundgren plays Jebediah Woodley, a demon hunter on the trail of a demon in the small town of Chickory Creek, a demon which moves from body to body when it's host is killed.

There's nothing you won't have seen before in Don't Kill It, especially if you've seen the classic 80's film The Hidden, but this is still more than watchable schlock with Dolph in fine form even if he does resemble The Hitcher's John Ryder with his long desert coat and shotgun.

There's the usual scenes where the local law enforcement don't believe him and lock him up as a murder suspect but the rest of the film, whilst not remotely original, endears thanks to some wild mayhem and gory bloodshed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DontKillIt.CinemaPoster.jpg (88.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th May 2023, 04:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Don't Kill It (2016)

Dolph Lundgren plays Jebediah Woodley, a demon hunter on the trail of a demon in the small town of Chickory Creek, a demon which moves from body to body when it's host is killed.

There's nothing you won't have seen before in Don't Kill It, especially if you've seen the classic 80's film The Hidden, but this is still more than watchable schlock with Dolph in fine form even if he does resemble The Hitcher's John Ryder with his long desert coat and shotgun.

There's the usual scenes where the local law enforcement don't believe him and lock him up as a murder suspect but the rest of the film, whilst not remotely original, endears thanks to some wild mayhem and gory bloodshed.
I like this one. One of Dolph's better latter day efforts.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 24th May 2023, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A sort of sequel too number 5 , a gloriously deranged Jason Momoa plays the bad guy seeking revenge on Dom and his family. As usual the film denies logic and the laws of physics and gets more absurd as it goes on. Enjoyable but if you didn't like the others you won't like this one.

An absolute classic that's nearly perfect from the direction too the wonderful John Williams score.

While not a patch on the original it's far better than what follows. Once again a shark is mencing the folks of amity so it's up to Brody to put a stop to the shark whom doesn't have the help of Richard Dreyfuss this time.

Those Brody's don't have any luck with sharks do they!

This time it's the oldest son , who has turned into Dennis Quaid and is working at SeaWorld when mommy shark comes looking for it's baby.

Look out for Louis Gosset JR as the owner ', Simon MacCorkindale as a big game hunter and a pre back too the future Lea Thompson. It's ok and that's it, the 3d effects look awful don't know if they would of looked better in 3D but I doubt it.

Now watching .

Old 25th May 2023, 09:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

Sequel to 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse and not as good, mainly because i dislike the character of Dark Phoenix. All powerful superhero characters piss me off no end and Dark Phoenix is no exception.

The story's smaller in scale - basically the X-Men searching for Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) before she's manipulated by another all super powerful being into becoming Dark Phoenix and destroying everything, everywhere all at once or some other similar bollocks.

There are some good set pieces and some cool character moments but ultimately this was disappointing.

No appearance from Wolverine either which loses the film marks. We'll have to wait for Deadpool 3 next year for the return of Hugh Jackman's Logan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (93.9 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!