Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2010, 12:39 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

All these Charlie Bronson dudes.....

Turn the lights off and watch it at home in silence.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:40 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I haven't see it.Can't really explain why but I'm in no hurry to see it.I'll probably catch it when it's on tv many,many years from now.
I was dubious too mate-but I highly recommend it.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:44 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just came back from cinema, I watched Shutter Island and I really enjoyed it. It's very creepy and tense, all helped by the wonderfully eerie score. Acting was superb by all, even Mark Ruffalo. Another fine example of brilliant film making by Scorcese.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 25th March 2010, 12:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Right bedtime,with the baseball bat.

Old 25th March 2010, 01:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Right bedtime,with the baseball bat.
dnt let the bed bugs bite

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 25th March 2010, 01:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
****!

I've just watched Paranormal Activity in the dark-not recommended unless you're wearing brown trousers!

Absolutely terrifying.

Scariest flick I've seen in a LONG time.

Really?

I thought it was far, far too shite to evoke any emotion other than anger! I seem to recall actually throwing the disk across the room in contempt for the bloody thing!

Old 25th March 2010, 02:18 AM
Cultist

Quote:
****!

I've just watched Paranormal Activity in the dark-not recommended unless you're wearing brown trousers!

Absolutely terrifying.

Scariest flick I've seen in a LONG time.
I wouldn't go that far. Wasn't really terrifying. Would highly recomend it though.

For me it was like what Blair Witch was trying to do but done properly.

Except it is very different to Blair Witch of course. I think it played upon the fear of the unknown very well and that's what makes a good movie about the paranormal for me.

I also liked

[SPOILERS]

the bit with the foot prints in the powder on the floor. It makes the thing tangible whilst still being completely unknown and also invisible. Like you're scared because you know something's there, but you don't know what it is or where it is apart from it's got pretty gnarly looking feet and it's somewhere in the room.

Plus the ending is impressive for me as the whole off camera scream, silence for a while then sudden shock really built up a lot of tension.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:44 AM
Ex-member

"Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror"

http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvgay.php

On the eve of a large Gay and Lesbian party weekend five groups of guests arrive at the ‘Sahara Salvation Bed and Breakfast Inn’ as it’s renowned for being Homosexual friendly.

But the B&B is run by a fanatic Christian fundamentalist named Helen and her daughter Luella, who Helen wants to find a husband for , by converting a ‘confused’ Homosexual man back to the spiritual path of Heterosexuality, to move Luelle away from her sinful Lesbian desires.

And if all that wasn’t enough it turns out Luelle has a mysterious brother named Manfred who is meant to be kept locked up....

Opening with a groovy title sequence that sees a blonde go-go dancer belt out a fine tune called ‘Watch Out For The Straights’ "Gay B&B of Terror" starts out okay.
The Gay/Lesbian characters are all walking cliches of course and with such a title and such a set-up it will come as no surprise that director/star Jaymes Thompson’s film is camped up to the max and he keeps things moving at a steady lick (ho ho).

The film is far too long though and should have been tightened up in the editing phase.
And although the multiple flashbacks, that reveal various twists in the tale, are mostly entertaining enough (indeed the Mother‘s flashback, about the conception of Manfred, is a glorious work of warped genius and also a great anti-Republican take on the origins of Freddy Krueger no less), they are generally too long and appear too late in the narrative and thus slow down the escalating chaos as we move towards the climax (ho ho).

Dialogue is not anywhere near the greatness of a John Waters film or is the deliver of it but there are still a few gems to be dug up and admired here:
Highlight has to be the deranged Helen’s utterly mad rant to a tied up Alex;
“You will no longer yearn for the engorged penis of a well-muscled man in uniform! From this point on you will embrace the light of God and dream of the sugar sweet holy vaginal walls of your soon to be wife, and my lovely daughter, forever”!

Indeed Helen, in the most flashy and Watersesque role, has all the best speeches.
Enjoy such gems as “I must pray very hard…There’s too many fvcking assholes around”

What’s really surprising here though is the relative lack of strong sex or (really surprising) full-on nudity.
As a low-fi, SOV, Gay themed horror film it was surely not aimed at, or was ever going to catch, a mainstream audience or market, so why be so tame with the sexuality?
Plenty of opportunities for full frontal nudity are here, but instead we have underwear left on and towels wrapped around waists.
Indeed the only penis on display (can you believe, in a film called “Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror”, have to write that!?) is attached to a blood covered dead body.

And talking of blood covered bodies…Where the film pretty much fails to deliver on the sex/nudity front it at least delivers on the horror front.
The murders are very bloody and pretty violent and whether it’s Helen or Luelle and their crucifix-handled dagger or Manfred and his foul fangs much blood is shed with lots of passionate shrieking to back it up.

The finale is wildly OTT and utterly chaotic and if it all seems a trifle forced and over-plotted at least the twist at the end is pretty amusing in concept, if strangely serious in much of its execution.
All of which results in a film that is sadly not as good as it should have been with such a set-up and a film that lacks much of the sex and nudity it should surely have had by default.

But despite all this “The Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror” still manages to be fun, camp, passionate and ultimately entertaining thanks to the plentiful blood, some fun dialogue, the performances (especially Mari Marks as Helen and Georgia Jean as Luelle) and the general energy it gives off.

Next time though Mr Jaymes ‘assless leather chaps’ Thompson, pile in more damn sex and nudity please!
Old 25th March 2010, 12:20 PM
Cultist

I watched Quatermass and the Pit last night. I couldn't stop laughing at Colonel Breen's facial expression when they were drilling the inside of the missile.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quaternass and the Pitt is a great film, scared the bejesus out of me when i was a kid.

Like this? Share it using the links below!