All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2010, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I watched intruder last night a film i havent seen for ages...
For the amount of gore and killing in this im surprised it hardly been mentioned on here...the uncut version has def got plenty of blood guts and gore to offfer to keep fans of this gener very happy
I remember when this was released originally at a time when the MPAA were clamping down big time so when I saw it on the shelf with that wonderful word 'Uncut' on the cover I snapped it up. A great slasher that doesn't take itself serious at all.

I watched Torched The char boiled edition.
Damn this is a violent movie(45 mins). One of those rare occasions where its a gorehounds wet dream...not much filler in here just gore and buckets of blood. Well made and not much hammy acting for a low budget flick.
Features one of the most 'painful to watch' scenes I've ever witnessed.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Exclamation how far a joke can go in a cell

i saw a film called stoic with edward furlong i thought just an indy based on a real event but i actully vomited a little and found some bits emotionly painfull to watch if youve seen it then you know what i mean if not then look it up i think ewe boll directed.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:30 PM
Ex-member

Default 'What films have you seen recently?'‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
First saw Phantom Of The Paradise at a late night cinema showing in the 80's. Tremendously entertaining film and great fun.
It's from one of my fave directors Brian De Palma.
I have the French dvd with documentary,
Brilliant.
Old 14th April 2010, 02:59 AM
Cultist

Just watched Zombi 3 (US Shriek Show DVD of it)

Hadn't actually seen it before.

Really enjoyed it. It's got a certain amount of creativity to some of the scenes. Looks nice. Good amount of gore too.

Some of it is kind of stupid to the point of being funny like the flying head scene. Which only adds to the entertainment a bit.

The interviews on the disc are great too. Very informative on how it was made. Which is particularly interesting due to the way it had loads of stuff added to it after Fulci declared it finished. You know, like it's cool to hear Mattei and Fragasso explain what happened, how Fulci reacted and what they think of the movie.
Old 14th April 2010, 04:23 AM
Ex-member

Default watched films.

watched dont look in the basement 1973sf brownrigg.quite good.its a bit like the great 1972 amicus film asylum.cant beat those amicus films.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:11 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Not Quite Hollywood is great fun. Plenty of tantalising clips that I just know are going to prove expensive!

Going to have to get hold of Patrick and Mad Max for a start, never mind the films I haven't even seen!
Old 14th April 2010, 07:03 PM
Ex-member

"The Town that Dreaded Sundown" (1977)

http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvsundown.php

The sadly late Charles B. Pierce will always be best known for two films (both semi-documentary style with delightfully earnest narration by Vern Stierman) the long time drive-in favourite “The Legend of Boggy Creek” and “The Town that Dreaded Sundown”.

The look of ‘The Phantom’ killer with his dirty sackcloth mask (a sadly forgotten, pre-Slasher movie, slasher performance by stuntman Bud Davis), is delightfully sinister and brutally simplistic and to say that “Friday the 13th part 2” owes as much to “Sundown” as it does to Bava’s “Bay of Blood” is an understatement.

And the attack scenes are just as brutally straight to the point as the killer and Pierce never pulls back from the sadistic, drawn out, violence of them.
Despite the ‘good ol’ boy’ energy and comedic styling of the rest of the film the attacks are full on horror movie creations and very cruel.
A guy gets shot in the head twice but still manages to gurgle and writhe around before dying, a woman gets shot twice as well (once in the face no less) but agonisingly tries to drag her blood caked body to safety.
In the film’s most infamous moment of warped sadism a woman is tied to a tree, her face to the trunk, and is repeatedly, slowly, stabbed with a knife that's tied to her dead boyfriend’s trombone!
It’s a truly bizarre and twisted sequence that will stay with you forever.

The comedic aspects sometimes sit a bit uncertainly with such scenes of pain and death but when added to the great location cinematography, sunny small-town hokum, drive-in aesthetics and energetic performances they do manage to blend together most of the time.
And hell, they just make the film more fun in that 70’s drive-in way that you simply don’t get today.

Performances are all good, with versatile 70’s favourite Andrew Prine giving the only fully serious turn in the movie (away from the victims) as even the mighty and stoic Ben Johnson yuks it up on a couple of occasions when he comes off worst at the fully comedic hands of his designated dangerous driver "Sparkplug" Benson (Charles B. Pierce himself).
The comedy and low brow slapstick never (crucially) water down the horrific aspects of the plot though.

So not without its flaws (although how much those flaws annoy are purely down to how you react to the comedy) but generally “The Town that Dreaded Sundown” has remained a firm favourite for over three decades for very good reasons and is essential viewing for any fan of bygone era, low budget, drive-in movie making and the violence still manages to pack a punch even today.

Rip Mr Pierce, may your celestial boggy creek never get drained to make way for Angel-designated condos.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:07 AM
Cultist in Training

Crimes of the Black Cat, a giallo that rips off Psycho's most famous scene ( in a very graphic way) and is very similar to the early work of Argento (even using the blind detective motif of Cat O'nine Tails) However it is quite absorbing in the way it is done and worth watching in the gore stakes for the above mentioned scene. I won't talk about the plot as I don't want to spoil it. See it if Giallo is your thing.....

Bad Inclination, a modern Giallo (2003) not as good as the above and made worse by the appalling dubbing. Some very unconvincing gore scenes (stabbing very obvious plastic torsos) And several old giallo actresses turn up to add to the proceedings including the transexual from Tenebrae! Not the best but worth looking at if your a completeist like myself......
Old 15th April 2010, 08:48 PM
Active Cultist

I watched 'Not quite Hollywood' as well and found it informative about a couple of films I wasn't aware of. Good documentary.
Old 15th April 2010, 08:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt harry View Post
i saw a film called stoic with edward furlong i thought just an indy based on a real event but i actully vomited a little and found some bits emotionly painfull to watch if youve seen it then you know what i mean if not then look it up i think ewe boll directed.
I been wanting to watch Seed and Stoic for a while now and see what the fuss is about but Boll makes utter crap so it puts me off

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!