Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2010, 11:30 AM
Ex-member

"Colin"

Full review: http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvcolin.php

Colin is one of the zombies in the zombie apocalypse.
This is his story……..

Made on a supposed budget of £45 this pure independent, completely guerrilla, SOV, zombie movie is yet another gem in the crown of modern British horror.
And it overcomes its budget and filming limitations (dodgy contrast/colour fluctuations/too much shaky cam) to take its place proudly in the higher ranks of zombie cinema.

A small number of low budget zombie films have followed zombies as the main characters before, but never in what is otherwise a classic, shambling undead, action film setting.
Sure “Colin” has plenty of emotional drama (which what other ‘follow the zombie’ films tend rely on in totality) but it basically plays like a gory, violent, kinetic zombie film like Romero’s or Fulci’s classic era titles.
Price has pulled off a superlative mix here; action zombie flick, and genuinely scary, emotional drama all at the same time.

We initially follow undead Colin (Alastair Kirton, doing an especially good job) as he staggers through the well handled and staged chaos and bloodshed.
But, seeing as Colin is basically a mute, unemotional, character, this could get boring very fast, but the excellent screenplay also uses Colin in another way…this time as a stepping stone for the audience to reach numerous little vignettes involving various human survivors.

Going for blunt realism director/editor/writer/producer Marc Price suddenly throws us head-first into a small house, packed with zombies, where a tiny group of people are battling to stay alive.
Forget any purely done for thrills moments of zombie ass-kicking because here Price shows just how realistically hopeless such a set-up would be as everyday people armed simply with whatever crap they could find, and nowhere to run, vainly try to fight off undead creatures that shrug off mortal wounds, can’t be scared away, can’t be reasoned with and that just keep on coming no matter what.
For the first time in, I would say, decades we have a zombie scene that truly scares you because as an audience you see how realistically hopeless it would truly be
if you, yourself, were actually in such a situation.
And with bloodied, screaming, hopelessness that point is rammed home hard.

The other stand-out moment is one that I would love to fully go into but I can’t as it would spoilt it.
But lets just say that Price delivers a moment of superbly crafted, completely unexpected, shock as he reveals to the audience what grotesque horror is in the dark.
Great, macabre, zombie acting, excellent and disturbing make-up FX and astute staging means this sequence, that shows not all horror is strictly undead, should stick with you after the credits have rolled.

The set-pieces are well done and with the help of some surprisingly good and highly effective gore/make-up FX (much gut ripping, limb biting, eye gouging, head cracking), sound effects and quick fire editing Price makes the numerous zombie attack scenes (including a pitched battle in a street with explosives) really work as nasty, brutal moments of horror.

So, with great personal skill, and with the impressive skills of those few others around him and backed by a good script, atmospheric score and solid acting, Marc Price ensures that “Colin” delivers as a full-bloodied/carnage filled zombie film, delivers as an unsettling scare movie and delivers as an emotional drama as well.

Certainly be aware of some of the technical issues, but without a doubt "Colin" comes highly recommended.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched Shoot Em Up the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was. Purposely filmed as a tongue in cheek homage to gun toting action film, it delivers on all aspects. Over the top set pieces and shoot outs that are physically impossible. The main protaganist beinf virtually invincible to ongoing surrounding gun fire. There was some awesomely cheesy one liners throughout which kept the humour flowing from one scene to another. It was also pleasing on the eye casting Monica Bellucci too. All in all it was LOADS of fun and highly recommended to watch with the lads whilst having a couple of beers.

Oh yeah almost forgot I also saw Death Sentence. A violent revenge film starring Kevin Bacon. This was also really good. At times it was genuinely quite touching and emotional but it also contained lot's of bloody violence too. I do love a revenge film and this easily ranks up there at the top with the best of them.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 27th May 2010, 12:23 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Oh yeah almost forgot I also saw Death Sentence. I do love a revenge film and this easily ranks up there at the top with the best of them.
*shudder*
I will not succumb to the desire to rant about how god awful, anti-vigilante, anti-revenge, anti-any idea about the whole cathartic release of a vigilante/revenge film, completely pro-utterly unjust criminal justice system this, soppy liberal masturbatory aide, shit bag of a movie is.

OOPS!
I sort of succumbed!
Old 27th May 2010, 12:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I enjoyed it, so there

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 27th May 2010, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I watch a film almost every night and believe it or not, if I don't it takes me ages to get to sleep and I have a restless night! So I will just write the horror movies that I have seen, otherwise I will have alot of repeats Like the American Pies which are on all the time. Also I wouldn't want to admit to watching Pee Wee's big adventure last night

I watched
City of the living dead - quite enjoyable
Darkman
Old 27th May 2010, 03:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I enjoyed it, so there
best ending to an argument EVER!

I have just finished watching Alvin and The Chimpmunks 2: The Squeakqual and i absolutely enjoyed it....

Also watched Librarian: Quest for the Spear, a sort of indiana jones/ Allan Quatermain flick with Noah Wyle (ER), Bob Newheart and Sonya Walger (LOST, FlashForward) great fun adventure film.
Old 27th May 2010, 05:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
*shudder*
I will not succumb to the desire to rant about how god awful, anti-vigilante, anti-revenge, anti-any idea about the whole cathartic release of a vigilante/revenge film, completely pro-utterly unjust criminal justice system this, soppy liberal masturbatory aide, shit bag of a movie is.
Ooooh! I like the sound of that. I think I'll give it a go.
Old 27th May 2010, 06:03 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
I enjoyed it, so there
WAHAY!!
Old 27th May 2010, 07:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched ....

Watchmen (Director's Cut)

.... last night.

I had already seen it on DVD, but I found it a little underwhelming .. so decided to give it a second chance ... without the hype! This time I really enjoyed it, a film which can be read on so many levels! i still feel it is a little too long though, and seems to have a better first than latter half. I can see it being a repeat viewer, and no doubt will see the story from different angles this time.

I watched this on Blu-ray, and unfortunately the CGI gore stood out like a sore thumb! Almost as bad as Ninja Assassin!
Old 27th May 2010, 08:47 PM
Active Cultist

Stage Fright.

Like this? Share it using the links below!