Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2010, 07:18 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Centennial (TV mini series)

It took 27 hrs to sit through the whole thing (not in one go) but the results are absolutely worth it. Magnificent filmmaking. The only TV mini series to top Rich Man Poor Man and Roots for me.

The last 2 episodes drag (too many flashbacks) and alter the final part of Michener's book too much but what happens before more than compensates for it. There'll never again be a western story like this one. From the opening episode of the young Lame Beaver (who grows up to be Michael Ansara, thankfully miles away from The Manitou), through his descendents, the settlers (outstanding performances from Robert Conrad, Richard Chamberlain, Gregory Harrison and an evil Donald Pleasence), the massacre of the Indians (by the psychotic Richard Crenna), the cattle trek (led by Dennis Weaver and featuring a young William Atherton), the financiers (Timothy Dalton and the sadly missed Lynn Redgrave), the Mexican civil war (A Martinez in the best role of his career), the cowboys/outlaws (a stunning performance by Brian Keith and an odious one by Anthony Zerbe), and the modern day election battle between David Janssen (as Atherton/Redgrave's grandson!) and Robert Vaughn (as Zerbe's grandson).

Sheer brilliance. The West has never been better served than by this.
Old 30th May 2010, 07:58 AM
Ex-member

"Club Dread"

Heard good things on a podcast. Picked it up cheap.
I hate 'Bro' comedy (**** 'em, wheres Jason and his machete when you need him!?) but this, after the weak 'obnoxious Bro/broad characters' opening, was GREAT FUN!

A very nice homage/parody to classic era Slasher flicks, with some very nice ladies, some pretty likeable characters (amazingly) and lots of very funny spoof humour.

Worked as a comedy. worked as a Slasher, amazingly entertaining...and the last few minutes were utter GENIUS! Especially that last shot!

Essential viewing.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Club Dread has been on my rental list for a while. I'll look forward to that one a little more now.

House
Japanese arthouse horror from 1977. Strange does not even begin to describe this prime example of what could easily be called style over substance, yet you find yourself compelled to watch it no matter how messed up it gets. (And messed up in a big way this gets! ) It starts off slow but by the second half the weirdness really kicks in. The amputated fingers that continue to play the piano are surreal but they are nothing compared to what follows. This is more a collection of outlandish images than a coherant movie. A WTF film if ever there was one but immensley enjoyable for the suitably twisted mind.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 30th May 2010, 01:01 PM
Active Cultist

House is brilliant. I'm so glad I bought the Eureka release this year. Gorgeous film.

Recently watched 'Dark Blue' with Kurt Russell and Ving Rhames.
Mario Bava's 'Knives of the Avenger'.
'LadyHawk'. Synthesizers and swords.

Last edited by re.form; 30th May 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just watched

Daybreakers

Kinda opened really well, but lost it's way in the middle third. Some great effects though. Was hoping for the film to be a little more stylish than it was - after all the promises. Passed on a couple of hours. Definately a renter rather than a buyer.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:53 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched Black Sheep last night - very enjoyable, silly and pretty gory. Could've done with a bit more...more. More gore, more laughs, etc. But still a lot of fun!

Also watched Das Komabrutale Duel too. What the hell?! Such a crazy film! I think I'll have to start watching more German Splatter films now.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched Nimrod Antal's Armored yesterday, it was a tight little thriller and pretty tense in parts with great performances from all involved....
Old 31st May 2010, 12:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Also watched Das Komabrutale Duel too. What the hell?! Such a crazy film! I think I'll have to start watching more German Splatter films now.
I been wanting to see that for a while now. I heard its one of the most goriest movies after braindead. If you seen braindead then do you think its more gory or less?

I did see it on amazon us for $5 one time

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 31st May 2010, 12:08 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'd say it was MORE gory, Nekro. Definetly most consitent - there's blood spraying EVERYWHERE from the very beggining of the film right to the end. But unlike Braindead, the blood looks fake and the film is very ameature. But I felt that added to it - it made it a lot funnier! I couldn't believe how much gore there was - blood spraying EVERYWHERE. If someone is shot in this film, a bloody jetspray of blood shoots out all over the place! It's great! I got mine of Amazon.co.uk for about £6 including p&p.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
I'd say it was MORE gory, Nekro. Definetly most consitent - there's blood spraying EVERYWHERE from the very beggining of the film right to the end. But unlike Braindead, the blood looks fake and the film is very ameature. But I felt that added to it - it made it a lot funnier! I couldn't believe how much gore there was - blood spraying EVERYWHERE. If someone is shot in this film, a bloody jetspray of blood shoots out all over the place! It's great! I got mine of Amazon.co.uk for about £6 including p&p.
Ah sounds like a good time

I realized last night that if I dont get a job I wont have much money for food in September has made me worried now as I need a job or else ha ha
So no more DVDs till I find one

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!