Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Disc Rot (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/2329-disc-rot.html)

creadishcread 6th February 2010 11:11 AM

Disc Rot

Hi

A few of my older discs have developed discoloured patches on the playing surface and become completely unplayable. I wonder how many of my other dvds are affected that I haven't discovered yet.

Anyone else had problems with dreaded dvd rot? Has the problem been solved with newer manufactured dvds?

(FYI the dvds affected are Esmeralda Bay (Spanish Franco dvd) and the German Blood Edition of Jungfrau unter Kannibalen (Devil Hunter). Not a great loss admittedly....)

vincenzo 6th February 2010 11:15 AM

Apparently the first releases of The Terminator and Silence Of The Lambs were prone to this.

Splatterdragon73 6th February 2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 61790)
Apparently the first releases of The Terminator and Silence Of The Lambs were prone to this.

Wasn't the first Rocky box set susceptible to this dreaded diagnosis too?

I think the problem with these releases was supposedly the ink used on the picture sides of the DVDs in question.
I'm not sure if the substance was permeating the surface or 'incompatible' with it in some way or another.

I'm not 100% positive about this and i'm certain someone here will set me straight if i'm wrong.

I'm hoping these reports of 'DVD rot' are few and far between as i don't want a repetition of what i went through with a few of my LDs.:(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th February 2010 11:29 AM

I've heard (from many different sources) that the discs in the ABUS tins are also very prone to disc rot. :ack:

Splatterdragon73 6th February 2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 61792)
I've heard (from many different sources) that the discs in the ABUS tins are also very prone to disc rot. :ack:

I hope not as i've got a few of these vintage editions and haven't watched them since they all played fine when i first bought 'em many moons ago!:(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th February 2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 61795)
I hope not as i've got a few of these vintage editions and haven't watched them since they all played fine when i first bought 'em many moons ago!:(

You may want to check them mate :eek:

I hope that they are all alright... :sad:

Splatterdragon73 6th February 2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 61797)
I hope that they are all alright... :sad:

So do i and i still like to think my collection may far outlast myself!

I just hope 'DVD rot' has yet to claim any of my titles!

DeadAlive 6th February 2010 03:53 PM

I had to replace my original Special Edition of "The Terminator" when it went all cloudy and wouldn't play. It had a much better cover than the later Ultimate Edition.

vipco 6th February 2010 05:00 PM

What actually causes disc rot.?

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th February 2010 06:26 PM

My Rocky boxset was in a real state when I opened it early last yewar after hearing of the disc rot problem.Almost all of the discs were all cloudy and sticky :eek: I read about giving them a wipe with warm soapy water and they were fine afterwards.Probably wouldn't work an all discs but it did for me.