Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Favourite Aussie Film? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/236-favourite-aussie-film.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 06:38 PM

Favourite Aussie Film?

I love Aussie films,the cinematography of those seemingly never ending skies are just out of this world.....so to hell with it....another poll:)
What's your favourite aussie film and why........:popcorn:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 06:46 PM

Mad Max and Mad Max 2 are classics,Razorback is just stunning to look at and I love the ott violence of bloodcamp thatcher,.....I love them all,but didn't want to look like a pillock by voting for all of 'em...:)

bedorca 19th April 2008 06:50 PM

Love Turkey Shoot.............and Crocodile Dundee :D

Angel 19th April 2008 06:52 PM

I voted for Strange Behaviour.

3 reasons

1. The dance sequence
2. Dan Shor
3. An appealing script

Wolf Creek a close second.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 06:52 PM

Turkey Shoot/bloodcamp thatcher/escape 2000.....it's a classic in my book....

Delirium 19th April 2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 2993)
I voted for Strange Behaviour.

I've never seen Strange Behaviour. Although i've heard of it, it's just never been on my radar for some reason.

Am I missing out?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 07:01 PM

Good solid little chiller...I have a spare mate,want a trade?:)

Delirium 19th April 2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 2999)
Good solid little chiller...I have a spare mate,want a trade?:)

That's very kind mate, but I've seen a copy in poundland! ;)

vincenzo 19th April 2008 07:07 PM

Picnic At Hanging Rock has its followers but I'm not actually one. It meandered a bit too much for me.

I liked Strange Behaviour and Romper Stomper, though I went for Walkabout in the end. Despite the wince-enducing killing of the kangaroo the film is gorgeous to look at. As is Jenny Agutter. :)

I also recommend Mad Dog (starring a rampant Dennis Hopper), Storm Boy (starring a pelican called Mr Percival) and the intriguing The Last Wave.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 07:09 PM

I got rid of picnic....I'm a big fan of weir.....beautiful to look at,but found myself dozing........

Angel 19th April 2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 2996)
I've never seen Strange Behaviour. Although i've heard of it, it's just never been on my radar for some reason.

Am I missing out?

Indeed you are.

The UK DVD is still missing the suicide technique. No great loss to the film though.

ecc 19th April 2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

I love Aussie films,the cinematography of those seemingly never ending skies are just out of this world.....so to hell with it....another poll
I like PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK as well as NEXT OF KIN which is a slasher/old dark house film that features excellent cinematography. The R4 DVD is 16:9 and the well-lit sequences look great but the night exteriors are a tad smeary. Great Klaus Schulze score too.

steve 19th April 2008 10:43 PM

I like Picnic...it has a dream like quality that no other film has (that I've seen) but my favourite Aussie film is Mad Max. I like how it looks and think it's grimey, tense and nasty. I also really like Muriel's Wedding (a guilty pleasure)

mark meakin 25th April 2008 04:57 PM

Went for Razorback but it was a very tough choice as I like the first two Mad Max films a great deal & the creepy Long Weekend.I've heard good things about Peter Weir's The Last Wave too.

vincenzo 25th April 2008 04:59 PM

The Last Wave is an excellent little film. As is Storm Boy. Both well recommended.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th April 2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 3496)
Went for Razorback but it was a very tough choice as I like the first two Mad Max films a great deal & the creepy Long Weekend.I've heard good things about Peter Weir's The Last Wave too.

Razorback,good choice mate.....;)A film I never tire of watching......:)

Peter Neal 25th April 2008 06:21 PM

"Wolf Creek" is exactely my kind of thing:cool:

siccoyote 25th April 2008 06:30 PM

I voted for Mad Max 2 (original was a bit boring and not a lot happened) but it was a close one between that and Blood Camp Thatcher, which I've only seen on cut pre-cert laserdisc.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th April 2008 06:36 PM

Bloodcamp Thatcher.....so bad it's good....love it......:)

Killer Meteor 25th April 2008 06:56 PM

The Man From Hong Kong!!!

Mojo 25th April 2008 08:48 PM

I voted for Patrick. Very underrated film, imo.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th April 2008 06:04 PM

Patrick IS underrated mate, a rather eerie film.....but anyone expecting a gorefest will be sorely disappointed....

bedorca 27th April 2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 3750)
Patrick IS underrated mate, a rather eerie film.....

Loved it. Got it for a quid!!!

<spits> ;)

mark meakin 27th April 2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 3842)
Loved it. Got it for a quid!!!

<spits> ;)

Yes I picked up the Hardgore release.Though not as good as the aussie films in the poll,The Survivor & Harlequinn are worth a look for genre fans.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th April 2008 10:25 PM

Just watched STORM WARNING....and thought is was rather good,anyone else seen it?

Jock Mooney 25th September 2008 05:09 PM

Hands up who loves 'Patrick'? And a general appreciation for Australian cinema.

Glorious little Australian number made (i think) in 1979 - I know there is an Italian release with a score by creme de la creme horror meisters Goblin, but sadly someone called Brian did the music on my version....hmmmph.

Anyway - if you have not seen Patrick and like the likes of:

Coma
Carrie
The Exorcist
The Omen
Day of the Triffids (1970's BBC TV series)
And Prisoner Cell Block H....

go for it. Cracking gem. I'd LOVE to see a Shameless release for this, with the Goblin soundtrack as I feel it is one of the most important films in Australian cinema - up there with 'The Cars that Ate Paris', 'Walkabout' (Ok...but it is set there), 'Razorback'...all gems.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th September 2008 05:18 PM

I hear some aussie Hardgore titles have made their way into Poundland....;)

vipco 25th September 2008 05:50 PM

No offense Jock but I just couldn't get in to Patrick at all.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th September 2008 05:59 PM

......TURKEY SHOOT-now that's a belter.....;)

vipco 25th September 2008 06:02 PM

VIPCO's Blood Camk Thatcher ( aka Turkey Shoot ) is probably the only Aussie film Ii've seen that I like.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th September 2008 06:06 PM

Vince or Sarah or Beds,can you merge this thread with the existing Aussie thread please?:)

cloud 25th September 2008 06:24 PM

You do it ya lazy git reaps, lol.

Patrick is good, I wouldn't say I "love it" though. I have the VIPCO tape and shall upgrade to the Synapse SE at a later date :).

Prisoner Cell Block H? Now we're talking! Best TV series ever made, simple as that. Does anyone know that Tall Dude used to fancy Lizzie? No? Well you do now!

http://www.prisoner-cellblockh.co.uk...birdsworth.gif

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th September 2008 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=cloud;14544]You do it ya lazy git reaps, lol.

Too technical for me mate.......:o:blush:

TALL DUDE 25th September 2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 14544)
You do it ya lazy git reaps, lol.

Patrick is good, I wouldn't say I "love it" though. I have the VIPCO tape and shall upgrade to the Synapse SE at a later date :).

Prisoner Cell Block H? Now we're talking! Best TV series ever made, simple as that. Does anyone know that Tall Dude used to fancy Lizzie? No? Well you do now!

http://www.prisoner-cellblockh.co.uk...birdsworth.gif

I, she used to work in my local,all the boys were after her.:rofl:

I'll have to introduce you cloud when you come to visit,your well in there.

"WELL,BUGGER ME BLIND.":D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th September 2008 06:28 PM

Ah old lizzie-from MAD MAX another Aussie classic,though with a face like that she looks as if she could advertise TAM PAX :rofl:

TALL DUDE 25th September 2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 4390)
Just watched STORM WARNING....and thought is was rather good,anyone else seen it?

Watched this the other week.Wasnt bad,although no where near as gory as some folk had been making it out to be.

bedorca 25th September 2008 06:44 PM

Patrick? Great flick!!!

PTOO!!

A Poundland classic!!! :D

Liked Thirst as well, another Aussie horror flick

Jock Mooney 25th September 2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 14549)
Ah old lizzie-from MAD MAX another Aussie classic,though with a face like that she looks as if she could advertise TAM PAX :rofl:

ER... i think she lost her ability to produce eggs a while back - apart from easter eggs. with booze inside.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th September 2008 06:48 PM

No the face of PMT.......:rolleyes:

bedorca 25th September 2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 14536)
I hear some aussie Hardgore titles have made their way into Poundland....;)

We all love Poundland!!! :D

New stock due in October!! :woot: