Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4195Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2012, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
My mum passed away last summer, and if it wasn't for that fact, I'd still be living at home.......at 38! But that was my own choice. I was too lazy to get my own place, and the fact that I had gotten used to spending most of my money on my dvds etc, and didn't want to give it up. Which was pointless, because I'm still managing to pay bills and keep up my collecting habit, just!
I have a friend that's the same, same age in fact and loves it. His mum is still around, does all his washing, cooking, cleaning, makes sure he gets his Doctor Who annual every Christmas! Possibly buys him his underwear. I do think there is a line though.
Old 30th October 2012, 06:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm 25, and I'm also still living at home with my parents most of the time... for the rest of the year, I'm in a small student housing in the town where I'm studying... it's my 11th term. Not because I'm stupid, but because I'm lazy, and because I'm making wrong decisions all the time. Or maybe they're right, and I just don't know it yet? I don't care. I only know that I could be happier (but also a lot sadder), and that it is pretty annoying to live off your parents' money.

Greetings!
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 30th October 2012, 06:29 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Possibly buys him his underwear. I do think there is a line though.
I believe that's the line right there!
Old 30th October 2012, 06:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I was having a conversation with my wife just the other day - a lot of our friends still live at home and are in their late 30s. I think the fundamental problem is if your single its extremely expensive to live on your own now. I know that if I were single I'd be very skeptical of sharing with anyone else, even a friend. That there is the dilemma - living at home is a case of "better the devil you know".
Old 30th October 2012, 07:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's pretty much the same deal in Ireland - a lot of people I know just can't get out of their parents' home - banks won't dream of handing out a mortgage to a single income person. Ireland is broke for the foreseeable future and a lot of people are gonna have to spend some quality time with their folks. I definitely don't think there's a big stigma to it these days - it's just the times we live in...
Old 30th October 2012, 07:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes, nowhere bad as it used to be, it isn't a big deal, a lot of people live with their parents, although out of my friends I'm the only one! For me it is just sucking, I love them but I never feel like I get away from it, I don't have the room for all my stuff, my own fault, but I also don't get much chance to relax, I'm not usually sitting down to eat until 8pm, I'm in work from 8-5.30, now I'm just whining. It could be a lot worse!!

But thinking back just a decade ago when I was 20 this town was so much more affordable, I could have got my own place then, I convinced myself I was going to move out, stupid mistake!
Old 30th October 2012, 07:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I'm 25, and I'm also still living at home with my parents most of the time... for the rest of the year, I'm in a small student housing in the town where I'm studying... it's my 11th term. Not because I'm stupid, but because I'm lazy, and because I'm making wrong decisions all the time. Or maybe they're right, and I just don't know it yet? I don't care. I only know that I could be happier (but also a lot sadder), and that it is pretty annoying to live off your parents' money.

Greetings!
Norman Bates would be proud of us all !
Old 30th October 2012, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
Norman Bates would be proud of us all !
I am starting to wonder if the majority of us here live at home with our parents, maybe we wouldn't if we didn't buy as many DVDs! I'm thinking there is more stigma on being a woman and still living at home with my parents at 30 than there would be for a man.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:28 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I am starting to wonder if the majority of us here live at home with our parents, maybe we wouldn't if we didn't buy as many DVDs! I'm thinking there is more stigma on being a woman and still living at home with my parents at 30 than there would be for a man.
I don't think so, Sharon. When you look at it superficially, maybe. But it's not a question of gender. It's one of the (questionable) trademarks of the times we live in. We don't actively choose this part - we kinda stumble into it due to circumstances. It has its little merits - but overall, it's a bit strange. Well, we'll have to deal with it.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Old 30th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I don't think so, Sharon. When you look at it superficially, maybe. But it's not a question of gender. It's one of the (questionable) trademarks of the times we live in. We don't actively choose this part - we kinda stumble into it due to circumstances. It has its little merits - but overall, it's a bit strange. Well, we'll have to deal with it.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

I agree

Like this? Share it using the links below!