Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree329Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2015, 10:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default pfffft

motel hell is a great film i think started the wave of comedy/splatter films. Hell comes to frogtown is a fun b-movie but it'd get boring if everyone liked the same movies. America seems to have went cowardly over releasing high rated moves in cinemas for example ( i know these are uk ratings but they must be similar to american ones?) taken was an 18 , taken 2 was a 15, taken 3 is a 12a! stallone recently said making expendables 3 on a lower rating was a big mistake. Film industry seems to think lowering rating will mean more people go see them but they are watering down the beer so to speak. When i was a kid an 18 cert did'nt mean a younger audience would'nt see the film, i mean for ffs they made cartoons out of rambo and robocop.
Old 21st January 2015, 10:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
motel hell is a great film i think started the wave of comedy/splatter films. Hell comes to frogtown is a fun b-movie but it'd get boring if everyone liked the same movies. America seems to have went cowardly over releasing high rated moves in cinemas for example ( i know these are uk ratings but they must be similar to american ones?) taken was an 18 , taken 2 was a 15, taken 3 is a 12a! stallone recently said making expendables 3 on a lower rating was a big mistake. Film industry seems to think lowering rating will mean more people go see them but they are watering down the beer so to speak. When i was a kid an 18 cert did'nt mean a younger audience would'nt see the film, i mean for ffs they made cartoons out of rambo and robocop.
American Sniper seems to have bucked that trend.

Not only that, but John Wick made a tidy profit.

I find the problem to be that studios have gotten obsessed with the notion of every film making $500 million as it looks great for the shareholders. The only problem is you need to spend nearly $250 million to get to that level so you barely break even. And when you spend that much money, you need as many people as possible to see it so the dreaded PG-13 rears its ugly head.

Whereas you could cancel one major movie, fund ten smaller productions (like John Wick), aim it to a specific audience and make about $10 million profit from each one.

Needless to say, I'm not a studio executive.
Old 22nd January 2015, 04:29 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
When I was a kid the higher 18 rating meant it was something worth seeing.Things haven't changed for me.Stallone won't probably make the same mistake with Rambo: Last Blood.Well, who knows anymore..
plasterface likes this.
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Some good points made,when I was a kid an 18 certificate really was something to get excited about,these days they are issued much rarely & seldom make sense to the viewer how the heck they landed that cert anyway!

There is a somewhat disappointing climax that films that were 18 on VHS are now 15 or even 12 on Blu Ray! Since Ferman things and society seem to have chilled and opened their minds ( a little) although this is a huge topic/debate of it's own so i'll leave it there.

another one for the awful list

Dreamaniac

I was looking forward to this but both the print and the film make vipco look like the kings of HD transfers of blockbusters
plasterface likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!