Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree1862Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2014, 03:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I was just wondering if anyone had seen the german Blu-Ray of The Stepfather 1987?
Someone is selling it on ebay but i can't find out much info.
Old 27th July 2014, 06:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I take it no one has seen this then?

It's from the director of Island of Death.

Actually that's probably reason enough to buy it.
I've seen it. It's a cheesy action flick with sci-fi overtones that's really quite entertaining. With George Kennedy, Wings Hauser and Brion James in the cast, you know you can't wrong. I really like it, anyway.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th August 2014, 03:51 AM
Active Cultist

Spotted the Gorgon release of the Faces of Death collection in Dubai airport of all places. Decided against picking it up - did I miss out? It's on amazon marketplace for about £12 so I'm thinking not
Old 4th September 2014, 09:02 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Screen-shot-2013-11-02-at-11.49.38.jpg the-night-of-the-hunter-blu-ray-cover.jpg

Which is the better release. I know there is a big difference in price but i just want the best version because i love the film.
trebor8273 and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default Is it Worth Buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 143900 Attachment 143901

Which is the better release. I know there is a big difference in price but i just want the best version because i love the film.

Transferwise I don't think there's much if a difference but the Criterion release has more in the way of extras.

The Criterion has this (taken from blu-ray.com):

Quote:
The Making of "The Night of the Hunter - an informative documentary that explores the production history of The Night of the Hunter. With the participation of producer Paul Gregory, second-unit director Terry Sanders, and authors Preston Neal Jones, F.X. Feeney, and Jeffrey Couchman. In English, not subtitled. (38 min, 1080i).

Simon Callow on Charles Laughton - in this exclusive interview, shot in 2010 in London, Simon Callow, author of Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor, discusses Charles Laughton's life and career. In English, not subtitled. (11 min, 1080p).

Moving Pictures - a fifteen-minute documentary on The Night of the Hunter, originally broadcast on February 19, 1995, which features interviews with producer Paul Gregory, actors Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish, editor Robert Golden, art director Hilyard Brown, director of photography Stanley Cortez, and second-unit director Terry Sanders. In English, not subtitled. (15 min, 1080i).

The Ed Sullivan Show - an excerpt from an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show, from September 25, 1955, in which Peter Graves and Shelley Winters perform a scene that does not appear in the final version of The Night of the Hunter. In English, not subtitled. (4 min, 1080i).

Stanley Cortez - an interview, shot at the American Society of Cinematographers in 1984, in which director of photography Stanley Cortez discusses his work on The Night of the Hunter. In French and English, with optional English subtitles where necessary, and imposed French subtitles. (13 min, 1080i).

Davis Grubb Sketches - a collection of sketches. (1080p).

Theatrical Trailer - the original trailer for The Night of the Hunter. In English, not subtitled. (2 min, 1080p).

Commentary - a very informative commentary in which second-unit director Terry Sanders, film archivist Robert Gitt, film critic F.X. Feeney, and Preston Neal Jones, author of Heaven and Hell to Play With: The Filming of "The Night of the Hunter" discuss the production history of The Night of the Hunter, its reception and restoration, the film's message, Charles Laughton's fascinating life and career, etc.

Disc 2

Introduction - a wonderful and illuminating conversation, recorded exclusively for Criterion in 2010, with film archivist Robert Gitt and film critic Leonard Maltin. The two gentlemen discuss the discovery and preservation of the material used to make Charles Laughton Directs "The Night of the Hunter", as well as their first impression of the film when they first saw it years ago. In English, not subtitled. (17 min, 1080p).

Charles Laughton Directs "The Night of the Hunter" - a fascinating, two-and-a-half-hour film that contains an enormous amount of outtakes and behind the scenes footage from the production of The Night of the Hunter. The film also contains plenty of information about Charles Laughton's life and career. In English, not subtitled. (159 min, 1080p).

Booklet - 30-page illustrated booklet containing Terrence Rafferty's essay "Holy Terror" (the author teaches at Princeton University) and Michael Sragow's essay "Downriver and Heavenward with James Agee".
whereas the Arrow has:

Quote:
Charles Laughton Directs 'The Night of the Hunter' (159:30)

Stanley Cortez Interview (12:55)

Trailer (1:38)

and a booklet
The main draw in my opinion is the 2 and a half hour documentary so you're covered with both releases
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:48 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Transferwise I don't think there's much if a difference but the Criterion release has more in the way of extras.

The Criterion has this (taken from blu-ray.com):

whereas the Arrow has:
Thanks a million Paul i cant resist those extras even if it is and extra €20
Bringer Of Funerals and PaulD like this.
Old 5th September 2014, 04:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Dracula Versus Frankenstein

Dracula Versus Frankenstein
51zJUmDSZFL.jpg

I believe this is only available with Eng subs? Can anyone verify?
Old 5th September 2014, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

OFDb - DVD: filmArt / Studiocanal (Deutschland), Freigabe: FSK 16 von Dracula jagt Frankenstein (1970)
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 6th September 2014, 08:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 143900 Attachment 143901

The novel the film is based on is worth tracking down if you've not read it.
Old 9th September 2014, 08:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Does anyone know if the French DVD of Roma a Mano Armata is English friendly?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!