Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1863Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2017, 07:35 PM
Cult Addict

I Really like Rocky Horror and although not in the same league, Shock treatment is a film i like, most of the songs are not as catchy as RHPS but there are a few decent ones.

Time has been kind to the film though because it has become more relevant as the years have passed, with it's reality TV show as therapy idea because there is so much of that stuff on current TV.

Also it has Rik Mayall in a small early role if you are a fan and even though Janet is replaced by Jessica Harper in this one she does a good job i feel.(i always liked her in Suspiria and Phantom of the Paradise anyway,)

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st October 2017, 07:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I Really like Rocky Horror and although not in the same league, Shock treatment is a film i like, most of the songs are not as catchy as RHPS but there are a few decent ones.

Time has been kind to the film though because it has become more relevant as the years have passed, with it's reality TV show as therapy idea because there is so much of that stuff on current TV.

Also it has Rik Mayall in a small early role if you are a fan and even though Janet is replaced by Jessica Harper in this one she does a good job i feel.(i always liked her in Suspiria and Phantom of the Paradise anyway,)
Cheers Nos,added to wishlist...do you have the new release...???

Old 1st October 2017, 07:41 PM
Cult Addict

No i've just got a basic older release that was part of a boxset with Rocky Horror.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st October 2017, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Shock Treatment for the first time when the Arrow release came out and I loved it. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did either. Some of the songs are brilliant, and I really liked how the whole film was set during a TV marathon which happens over one night.

The video and audio on this new disc are excellent as well, and some really good extra features. I would recommend buying it in store though because the packaging leaves a lot to be desired and you may end up with a completely crushed box.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st October 2017, 07:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cheers Justin and Nos,looks like a must buy then.....

Ouch..nothing worse than a completely crushed box......oh me plums...
Justin101 and plasterface like this.

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:43 AM
Cult Master

I agree with Justin and Mr. Feratu

When I first saw 'Shock Treatment' about 20 years ago, I really didn't like it. I found it very confusing. However, watching the new Blu-Ray release a few weeks ago, I loved it. It's a good story (although it can be very mean spirited) and the music is great - where Rocky was based around 50's and glam rock, 'Shocky' is more 80's disco/pop rock

As I have mentioned before on the forum, don't get suckered into thinking this is a sequel to 'Rocky'. Other than featuring Brad and Janet (here played by Cliff De Young and Jessica Harper instead of Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon), there are no real connections. Frank, Riff, Magenta etc are not mentioned anywhere in the dialogue and although there are cross-over actors (Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn, Charles Grey, Little Nell) they all play different characters

I like to think of Shocky taking part in an alternate reality where the car didn't get a flat tyre, Brad and Janet made their appointment with Dr. Scott without any problems, and they never ended up at the castle

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th October 2017, 12:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Renato Polselli's Black Magic Rites any good? I noticed it's dropped to sub £10 on Amazon, and is due next Monday. Absolutely horrific cover though. Plenty of horror, or mostly filth? I've only seen Delirium from the director, and it was ace.
Old 7th October 2017, 12:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Renato Polselli's Black Magic Rites any good? I noticed it's dropped to sub £10 on Amazon, and is due next Monday. Absolutely horrific cover though. Plenty of horror, or mostly filth? I've only seen Delirium from the director, and it was ace.
I like it. It's lunacy. You really should get it. It's also known as The Reincarnation of Isabel.
Mojo and BAKA like this.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like it. It's lunacy. You really should get it. It's also known as The Reincarnation of Isabel.
Another recommendation from me too. I love it - it's totally bonkers.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

While ordering black magic rites noticed this, is it worth getting along with black magic?

https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/cold-eyes-of-fear

Like this? Share it using the links below!