Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1863Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2018, 07:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ok, so my son is almost 4, and has sat through Avengers Infinity War at the cinema, as well as Rampage (regretted that as so much bad language), and Jurassic Park at home. Suffice to say, I'm amazed! I didn't watch a live action film properly until I was at least 8, so I would like to encourage this love of movies, but need ones with minimal language & lots of action. I want to show him King Kong, but watching the Jackson version now & it's way too talky! I don't remember the original very well but wondered if anybody has the Premium Collection release? Is the picture quality good? Are the extras worth it, and does anybody have any experience sharing it with their kids?
Any advice would be very welcome!
Old 15th May 2018, 07:50 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I want to show him King Kong, but watching the Jackson version now & it's way too talky! I don't remember the original very well but wondered if anybody has the Premium Collection release? Is the picture quality good? Are the extras worth it, and does anybody have any experience sharing it with their kids?
Any advice would be very welcome!
I thought the AV quality on the Premium Collection BD was really good and it has a very wide and good selection of extra features (commentary, featurettes, deleted scenes, trailer, booklet).

I can't help regarding watching it with kids though.
Old 26th May 2018, 09:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rather the original than that nonsense .... which may engender a loathing of the moving image .

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th May 2018, 11:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Used vouchers & have ordered the premium Kong from cex.....now lets hope they send me the right version! Bloody students picking the stock, have had a few mistakes when ordering by post from them. I ordered Heat (Pacino/DeNiro) and got THE Heat (Sandra Bullock light comedy). Not amused!
Fingers crossed they dont mess this one up.
Old 30th May 2018, 09:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just wondering if anyone on here has seen Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri, very well reviewed but is it worth a blind buy &am i likely to re watch it?
Old 30th May 2018, 09:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here has seen Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri, very well reviewed but is it worth a blind buy &am i likely to re watch it?
I saw it at the cinema and thought it was easily one of the best American films of last year, and one I intend to buy when funds allow.

It's funny, poignant, thought-provoking, and features an astonishing performance from Frances McDormand who is really well supported by Sam Rockwell, two actors fully deserving of the praise and awards they received. I think it's a film where the trailer does give you a false impression of the film, so if you are interested because the trailer, then you should really like the full film.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:41 PM
Cult Addict

Does anyone have either of these books by any chance? Give me any opinions?
Old 1st June 2018, 08:58 PM
Cult Veteran

Default Is it Worth Buying?

I’ve got the top one, it’s really good, basically a lot of pictures of del Toro’s collection of movie memorabilia including a life size statue of Lovecraft! It also includes a lot of pages from his notebooks where he jots down ideas about his films and as far as I can remember each film has a chapter each.

I’ve not read the other one but I think it focuses more on the notebooks.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st June 2018, 09:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I’ve got the top one, it’s really good, basically a lot of pictures of del Toro’s collection of movie memorabilia including a life size statue of Lovecraft! It also includes a lot of pages from his notebooks where he jots down ideas about his films and as far as I can remember each film has a chapter each.

I’ve not read the other one but I think it focuses more on the notebooks.
Thanks for that mate! I want both but I'm looking for which one focuses more on Del Toro himself and his collections and Bleak House itself.
Old 1st June 2018, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thanks for that mate! I want both but I'm looking for which one focuses more on Del Toro himself and his collections and Bleak House itself.

I’ll try and remember to post some example pages tomorrow.
J Harker likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!