Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Is it Worth Buying? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/6284-worth-buying.html)

trebor8273 25th August 2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 361039)
Not for £11, but for £1.40 plus shipping.

ended up getting it at £1.39

demonknight 25th August 2013 05:59 PM

Is 'The Psycho Legacy' Bluray German Import worth buying in terms of A/V quality?

J Harker 26th August 2013 11:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Are these worth buying?

Attachment 118493Attachment 118494

Only David Lynch film I've seen is Dune.
These two are in HMV's three for twenty. But then the Lynch boxset is on amazon for around £17 but doesn't include The Ephelump Man.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th August 2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 361196)
Are these worth buying?

These two are in HMV's three for twenty. But then the Lynch boxset is on amazon for around £17 but doesn't include The Ephelump Man.

Both are fantastic films, and easily surpass Dune (which is one of Lynch's weakest films in my opinion). The Elephant Man is a brilliant and moving biopic with great performances from John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins, whilst Eraserhead is Lynch's first full length work which he made in college, and is a mad fusion of fractured black and white and nightmare visuals; themes which would go on to fill a lot of Lynch's later work.

I own the Studio Canal BD of The Elephant Man, and it is a superb release, but don't own the UK BD of Eraserhead - I'm personally holding out for the Criterion edition, as I am pretty certain that it will be a better release.

Wes 26th August 2013 11:53 AM

Yep, I heard stirrings of Criterion doing Eraserhead too. It is without any hyperbole one of the greatest movies ever made...

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th August 2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 360317)
The two-disc version of Harry Novac's "Axe"

Thoughts????

I have this set. Its really good actually. Nice art cards of Novak's films and the second disc has a good documentary on the man.

Recommended.

J Harker 26th August 2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 361198)
Both are fantastic films, and easily surpass Dune (which is one of Lynch's weakest films in my opinion). The Elephant Man is a brilliant and moving biopic with great performances from John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins, whilst Eraserhead is Lynch's first full length work which he made in college, and is a mad fusion of fractured black and white and nightmare visuals; themes which would go on to fill a lot of Lynch's later work.

I own the Studio Canal BD of The Elephant Man, and it is a superb release, but don't own the UK BD of Eraserhead - I'm personally holding out for the Criterion edition, as I am pretty certain that it will be a better release.

Thanks for that. I think I'll pick up The Elephant Man and maybe consider getting the boxset for Eraserhead. I'm assuming a Criterion will be region locked and expensive. For all it's faults I really like Dune so I'd be able to upgrade that too if I go with the boxset.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th August 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 361196)
Are these worth buying?

Both The Elephant Man and Eraserhead are superb films – the StudioCanal Collection release of The Elephant Man is a stellar release and the Eraserhead BD is also well worth buying. Also, the Mulholland Drive StudioCanal Collection BD is a must buy for any David Lynch fan. (If you want to read about them, reviews are on my website.)

As bizarre_eye, both are far superior to Dune.

Wes 26th August 2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 361227)
As bizarre_eye, both are far superior to Dune.

Superior to Dune... but Dune has a lot going for it. Some of the visual effects have dated badly, but the sets and costumes are incredible, the boil-covered Baron Harkonnen is a wonderfully grotesque villain, and ultimately the film does a pretty damn good job of distilling the very complicated geopolitical economics of the book into a 140min movie...

trebor8273 26th August 2013 02:56 PM

Doh, i knew there was a reason i wanted to go back to hmv was going to pick up the elephant man along with some others, with any luck will still be there at the end of the week.