LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2017, 06:47 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Anguish

Ever seen Spanish genre fest Sexykiller b_e btw?
The female is quite Boofish
And the film's ok as well
The 2008 film? Alas, no. However I have seen Sexy Cat!

]

A Spanish slasher/gialli hybrid which is a lot of fun and very pop-art.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:46 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sexy Killer is well worth checking out, B_E.
Old 26th April 2017, 10:01 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I second that. It's been some time since I saw it, but these viewing has been highly enjoyable. If you're interested, this is the conclusion to the review I wrote when the DVD was first released:

Final Thoughts
Sexy Killer is an absolute hoot with one of the most imaginative and likeable screen killers I’ve seen in a long time. It’s obvious that both Miguel MartÃ* and Paco Cabezas are massive horror film fans as the list of films to which they pay homage is long and varied, even including the ‘this is a knife’ scene from Crocodile Dundee! Buy this DVD then get the drinks and snacks in, invite your friends over and enjoy this in the spirit in which it is meant to be seen. Normally I’d be down on a DVD for containing no extras but this put me in such a good mood I wasn’t really interested in hearing from members of the cast and crew – the film is enough thank you!

– – – –

If you want, I could put the whole review here.
Old 26th April 2017, 10:43 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This is my review of the G2 Pictures DVD from 2009:

Sexy Killer (2008)

In all the many serial killer films, there is some reason for the murders, whether the protagonist has a score to settle or is just a psychopath killing for no obvious reason. In the case of medical student Bárbara, she kills because she wants to, seeing nothing abnormal in bumping off those who annoy or slight her in some way. As the bodies pile up, the hunt is on for the Campus Killer and, when Bárbara says that it’s her, the authorities and other students laugh it off as a joke as how would a brainless ‘Barbie Girl’ (Aqua’s execrable song even features!) kill people so brutally?

Bárbara is a vain and materialistic girl who only went to med school to meet and marry a wealthy plastic surgeon and is desperately looking for a Glenn to her Cindy Superstar – Bárbara insists that Glenn is not gay and is very protective of her favourite doll. Her search leads her to Tomás, a mortician who she mistakenly assumes is another serial killer whilst he is nothing of the sort, Tomás is a computer nerd who has invented a machine that can project your thoughts as video.

In true Four Flies on Grey Velvet fashion, Tomás realises that the machine may be used on a fresh corpse to find out the killer’s identity. However, when he first tests the process on one of Bárbara’s victims, an awkward side effect emerges: the machine reanimates the dead.

Bárbara is a fantastic character, addressing the camera in the same way as Ben in Man Bites Dog, explaining what she is doing and why and her completely amoral stance and stylish nature makes her uncomfortably easy to like! The film is an unabashed homage to many horror films, not just the two mentioned above, but a whole host that will keep a genre fan (and his friends) busy spotting the references. However, Sexy Killer isn’t derailed and distracting because of the citations as that is part of the fun and I understand that it went down well on the festival circuit – it’s that kind of film. Although easy to enjoy by yourself, it’s what I’d term as a ‘party film’ where, with friends around and the beers and popcorn in, you can laugh along and have a great time. This isn’t a sophisticated piece of art but a riot of a film, unabashedly silly and enjoyable with director Miguel MartÃ* using split screen and vibrant colours to transform our anti-heroine into a deadly version of Paris Hilton, only you don’t hate her as she’s extremely charismatic!

The narrative seems to follow Bárbara’s school of thought, which is not why do something, but why not – if someone can be killed with a broom handle because Bárbara wants her dress, why not? As for the wonderful ending when the full effects of Tomás’ machine become evident, I won’t spoil it, but needless to say, it’s funny and gory in equal measures.

Miguel MartÃ* directs this with real flair and energy from an extremely witty script by Paco Cabezas but key to the film’s charm is the fantastic central performance by Macarena Gómez who is a nonchalant and, for the want of a better word, sexy killer. The press release describes her as a cross between Paris Hilton and Patrick Bateman which is spot on – she is incredibly shallow which is more than matched by her vicious nature.

The Disc

The Picture
This is one of the better looking DVDs I've come across recently and it’s surprising that it should be from a moderately budgeted Spanish horror comedy. The costumes, set decoration and production design are all excellent and the prosthetics, special effects make-up and gore create a very enjoyable film which is easy on the eye and well designed. The colour scheme varies from the realistic to hyper-realistic (not quite Speed Racer but close) with very bright and gaudy clothes and accessories, sometimes creating a cartoony mise-en-scène!

The Sound
A suitably bombastic Spanish 2.0 soundtrack with very well written (optional) English subtitles and a good selection of music, both scored and sourced. I hate Aqua’s Barbie Girl with a passion but can’t think of a piece of music more fitting and it works perfectly!

Final Thoughts
Sexy Killer is an absolute hoot with one of the most imaginative and likeable screen killers I’ve seen in a long time. It’s obvious that both Miguel MartÃ* and Paco Cabezas are massive horror film fans as the list of films to which they pay homage is long and varied, even including the ‘this is a knife’ scene from Crocodile Dundee! Buy this DVD then get the drinks and snacks in, invite your friends over and enjoy this in the spirit in which it is meant to be seen. Normally I’d be down on a DVD for containing no extras but this put me in such a good mood I wasn’t really interested in hearing from members of the cast and crew – the film is enough thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sexy Killer.jpg (82.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 26th April 2017, 01:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Has anyone seen the remake of Ben Hur, Deepwater Horizon or Inferno (Dan Brown) and are any of them any good?
Old 26th April 2017, 02:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Has anyone seen the remake of Ben Hur, Deepwater Horizon or Inferno (Dan Brown) and are any of them any good?
I've seen Inferno. I enjoyed it, not as good as Angels & Demons but better than Da Vinci Code. Not as good as the book though as it deviates too much for my liking. Also think Hanks is looking a bit passed it now for this sort of thing.
Rik and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 26th April 2017, 02:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

What he said
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th April 2017, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Deepwater is according to various offshore friends; somewhat economical with the truth. But it's nae a documentary I said. More like a sort of disaster movie really ...Russell obviously keeping the moustache Malkovich plays one of the bigwigs. Exciting enough I suppose... though it will never replace North Sea Hijack in my heart
Recommended if you find it cheap somewhere.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st May 2017, 06:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Grindhouse is one of the few companies who's SD dvd releases are almost hd looking.

I have the dvd of I drink your blood, is there a significant picture quality upgrade on an already HQ dvd to justify upgrading to their blu?.

Secondly is their any difference between the grindhouse and arrow blus of pieces in regards to picture?

I'm suspecting not but wanted to be sure.

Thanks.
Old 27th July 2017, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran

Can anyone confirm that this release is dreadful?

Is there a better version of it? While we're at it, is there a version of Let's Scare Jessica to Death in print?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!