Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Is it Worth Buying? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/6284-worth-buying.html)

Prince_Vajda 25th July 2011 12:34 PM

Is it Worth Buying?

I created this thread for all boys and girls out there who want to buy a DVD or Blu-ray or VHS or whatever and don't know much more than the title and the plot synopsis.

It should be used for specific questions like these:
- Is movie XYZ a great flick, a horrible bummer, or a Trash grenade?
- Is XYZ's release a good one? Is the transfer ok? Is it uncut?
- I have been offered the flicks A, B, and C for xxx bucks in a box - is this cheap?

With so many active members, it should be an easy and quick thing to get an answer - as there's a high chance that someone here owns the release in question. :nod:

Remember: It should not be used for any questions concerning Arrow or Shameless releases - as we've got plenty forums and subforums for those. It's also not the place to discuss recent buys or general buying experiences - there are other threads for that.

Greetings!

PS: If there's already a very similar thread, I'd like some Mod to merge the threads - I haven't found one by now, though.

Prince_Vajda 25th July 2011 03:05 PM

Well, it's me posting the first question then. :)

There's a nice-looking boxset called the "B Movie Campaign Boxset". It includes the following films:

- Return of the Killer Tomatoes!
- Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
- Return to Horror High
- Creature
- The Stuff
- Crocodile
- Hell Comes to Frogtown
- Rats
- Slugs
- Octopus
- Spiders
- Night of the Living Dead (Colour version)

It'll be nice if some friendly chaps could pick two or three flicks each (or all ;)) and shortly comment on the quality and the fun factor of the movies. You could also give them a rating from 0 to 5 (with zero meaning "Forget about it.").

Greetings!

PS: Please don't comment on the last one - I know and I love the movie; and yes, the colourised version is rubbish. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 03:52 PM

I was interested in the B- Movie box set, i had Night, Elvira,Crocodile, Octopus and Spiders. i just picked up the individual titles i really wanted - Slugs, and The Stuff which are direct ports from the US Anchor Bay releases (I found that out thanks to Stephen on here :))

The set is excellent value if you don't have any of them.

Incidently, Crocodile is directed by Tobe Hooper.

PaulD 25th July 2011 04:17 PM

Great idea for a thread! I too am interested in the b-movie box set and wonder if it's worth it. Sometimes with box sets like this the transfers are poor but it's always quite cheap online so I've always been tempted.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 04:37 PM

In regards to the B-Movie Boxset, I have three of the titles mentioned; Hell Comes to Frogtown, Slugs, and The Stuff as they were also released as stand-alone discs.

All three are ports of the ABUS discs (even down to the distributor logos pre-credit sequence :tongue1:).

As for the films themselves, each definitely fits their respective 'B-movie' moniker, and are terrific slices of pungent cheese.

Hell Comes to Frogtown sees a post-They Live 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper battle giant talking frogs in a post-apocalyptic action packed fun-fest - I guess his career never recovered after this, but it's a great watch.

Slugs deals with - wait for it - killer slugs... it's a campy little creature-feature (incidentally by the same guy who directed the amazing Pieces! :happy:) and doesn't disappoint in either the slug or the cheesy '80s dialogue department.

The Stuff is probably my favourite of the three and deals with a strange substance (called 'The Stuff' :D) that replaces ice-cream (and frozen yoghurt I guess, as it's based in the US ;)) across the land, which is also highly addictive and turns everyone who eats it into mindless (killer!) drones.

Whilst I've seen most of the others in the set, I can't comment on the quality of the discs. The three I mentioned above are (surprisingly) decent transfers, and well worth a punt if you can find the set or the individual releases at a reasonable price. :nod:

Baseball Fury 25th July 2011 04:55 PM

As a mirror image to BE, I hated Slugs, found it slow paced and irritating and I hated Hell Comes To Frogtown, low-rent Troma style but with none of the 'class'.

The Stuff is a great little 80's B-movie though, and has the catchiest theme tune for a fictional product of any film ever made. And it stars the original Harry Potter, Michael Moriarty!

Also, the only other film I've seen from that set is Return of The Killer Tomatoes and it was an absolute turd-burger. Not a patch on the original.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 168442)
Also, the only other film I've seen from that set is Return of The Killer Tomatoes and it was an absolute turd-burger. Not a patch on the original.

Got to agree with you there! :ack:

pedromonkey 25th July 2011 05:22 PM

does anyone have any info on those Drive-in Movie boxsets that sell for cheap on Amazon, Ive always been tempted by them but after wasting money on the mill Creek 20 movie collections im a bit apprehensive.

Drive-In Cult Classics DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Artist Not Provided: Film & TV

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 05:39 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 168455)
does anyone have any info on those Drive-in Movie boxsets that sell for cheap on Amazon, Ive always been tempted by them but after wasting money on the mill Creek 20 movie collections im a bit apprehensive.

Drive-In Cult Classics DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Artist Not Provided: Film & TV

I can't recomend them highly enough. One or two prints are not brilliant but they are the minority. I have the ones pictured below. There are some terrific films such as The Babysitter, The Pink Angels, Madmen of Mandoras, The Devil's Hand, Trip With the Teacher and The Teacher.The set you posted is a collection of the original box sets which i have. You can't really go wrong imo for the price.

My fave set by far is Girls Guns and G-strings, all are 80's/90's action films by Andy Sidaris and feature loads of action with both guns and breasts. All prints on this set are superb.

pedromonkey 25th July 2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 168470)
I can't recomend them highly enough. One or two prints are not brilliant but they are the minority. I have the ones pictured below. There are some terrific films such as The Babysitter, The Pink Angels, Madmen of Mandoras, The Devil's Hand, Trip With the Teacher and The Teacher.The set you posted is a collection of the original box sets which i have. You can't really go wrong imo for the price.

My fave set by far is Girls Guns and G-strings, all are 80's/90's action films by Andy Sidaris and feature loads of action with both guns and breasts. All prints on this set are superb.

awesome, cheers for that Demdike...

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 168480)
awesome, cheers for that Demdike...

Glad to be of help. :)

plasterface 25th July 2011 06:04 PM

b-movie madness

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 168406)
Well, it's me posting the first question then. :)

There's a nice-looking boxset called the "B Movie Campaign Boxset". It includes the following films:

- Return of the Killer Tomatoes!
- Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
- Return to Horror High
- Creature
- The Stuff
- Crocodile
- Hell Comes to Frogtown
- Rats
- Slugs
- Octopus
- Spiders
- Night of the Living Dead (Colour version)

It'll be nice if some friendly chaps could pick two or three flicks each (or all ;)) and shortly comment on the quality and the fun factor of the movies. You could also give them a rating from 0 to 5 (with zero meaning "Forget about it.").

Greetings!

PS: Please don't comment on the last one - I know and I love the movie; and yes, the colourised version is rubbish. ;)

I own the ltd edition boxset of this and its worth 12 quid of anyones money but the 3 best in the boxset are slugs a:pop2: so bad its good disasterpiece from the director of pieces. Hell comes to frogtown another rowdy roddy piper sc-fi treat and the stuff, one of cohen's underated films. Wish they'd bring another boxset out like this.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 168490)
I own the ltd edition boxset of this and its worth 12 quid of anyones money but the 3 best in the boxset are slugs a:pop2: so bad its good disasterpiece from the director of pieces. Hell comes to frogtown another rowdy roddy piper sc-fi treat and the stuff, one of cohen's underated films. Wish they'd bring another boxset out like this.

What about Elvira?

It would make my top 3.

Prince_Vajda 25th July 2011 06:53 PM

Thanks a lot, Dem, Bizarre, Baseball, and plaster! :thumb:

All your statements convinced me that the "B Movie Campaign Boxset" is definitely worth the 12 bucks Amazon want for it. I'll order it first thing in the morning. As I don't own any release included (except for NOTLD), it really sounds like decent value for money. :nod:

Greetings!

plasterface 25th July 2011 07:33 PM

elvira

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 168492)
What about Elvira?

It would make my top 3.

i thought elvira was amusing enough :nod:

plasterface 25th July 2011 07:38 PM

boxset

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 168510)
Thanks a lot, Dem, Bizarre, Baseball, and plaster! :thumb:

All your statements convinced me that the "B Movie Campaign Boxset" is definitely worth the 12 bucks Amazon want for it. I'll order it first thing in the morning. As I don't own any release included (except for NOTLD), it really sounds like decent value for money. :nod:

Greetings!

i'd reccomend the ltd edition boxset over the other version which has plastic pages for the discs , best of all its the same price but it depends if you prefer collectibility or a more compact version for your shelf. Cant guarantee you'll like all the films but sure you'll have a few laughs:nod:

dream demon 25th July 2011 07:43 PM

But then you need to decide if you want the box set, or the "digi-stack" edition. :lol: Out of interest, which versions do you guys have? To be honest, I have the individual releases of most of the ones in this set I am interested in, so probably won't bother with the set, although it is good VFM if you don't have any yet. I also find most Boulevard releases to have decent prints. :nod:

Is Rats from this series any good by the way? At first I thought it was Night of Terror, but apparently this is a different film (possibly from 2002, if I have the right one). It has a 5.0 rating on IMDB which would suggest it is not a complete stinker. :confused:

*Edit*

Looks like Plasterface beat me to it re, box vs. digi-stack!

plasterface 25th July 2011 08:06 PM

evil laugh

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 168522)
But then you need to decide if you want the box set, or the "digi-stack" edition. :lol: Out of interest, which versions do you guys have? To be honest, I have the individual releases of most of the ones in this set I am interested in, so probably won't bother with the set, although it is good VFM if you don't have any yet. I also find most Boulevard releases to have decent prints. :nod:

Is Rats from this series any good by the way? At first I thought it was Night of Terror, but apparently this is a different film (possibly from 2002, if I have the right one). It has a 5.0 rating on IMDB which would suggest it is not a complete stinker. :confused:

*Edit*

Looks like Plasterface beat me to it re, box vs. digi-stack!

mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

on a serious note i also made same rats mistake, did'nt think one in box set was much cop to be honest

Prince_Vajda 25th July 2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 168520)
i'd reccomend the ltd edition boxset over the other version which has plastic pages for the discs , best of all its the same price but it depends if you prefer collectibility or a more compact version for your shelf. Cant guarantee you'll like all the films but sure you'll have a few laughs:nod:

That's exactly what I'm after in a world going down the swanny. :pop2:

I guess I'll take the limited set - I like to have something to touch and to showcase. It's the same with women, innit? ;)

Greetings!

plasterface 25th July 2011 09:40 PM

a nice package

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

dream demon 27th July 2011 03:47 PM

Has anyone seen the film Yellow Brick Road? The synopsis on Amazon sounds fascinating, but I know nothing of it. Anyone seen it?

Prince_Vajda 31st July 2011 12:54 PM

Does anybody own the unrated US Blu-ray of Barb Wire? Is it region free?

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 169823)
Does anybody own the unrated US Blu-ray of Barb Wire? Is it region free?

Greetings!

Probably no help whatsoever ;), but the dvd is region 1 only.:)

Sam 2nd August 2011 08:32 PM

Does anyone know if the Warriors on The Walter Hill collection is the original cut or the director's cut with the comic-book inserts etc?

Here's the link:

Walter Hill Collection [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd August 2011 08:42 PM

Looking at the release date (2008) I'd say it was the Director's Cut.

I think the non-DC version was released by Paramount.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a more definitive answer, Sam!

Sam 2nd August 2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 170897)
Looking at the release date (2008) I'd say it was the Director's Cut.

I think the non-DC version was released by Paramount.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a more definitive answer, Sam!

I thought so too but looks like it's the original cut according to a review I've tracked down:

The Walter Hill Collection Review – DVD Monthly Magazine

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd August 2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 170909)
I thought so too but looks like it's the original cut according to a review I've tracked down:

The Walter Hill Collection Review – DVD Monthly Magazine

Interesting... seems like it isn't the DC after all!

It's a shame that Optimum couldn't have released it as a stand-alone DVD at the same time. I'm still clinging onto the slim hope that the the non-DC version will make it to Blu-ray one day. :pray:

Sam 2nd August 2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 170910)
Interesting... seems like it isn't the DC after all!

It's a shame that Optimum couldn't have released it as a stand-alone DVD at the same time. I'm still clinging onto the slim hope that the the non-DC version will make it to Blu-ray one day. :pray:

Yes, a blu ray of the original cut would be nice - or even better, one edition containing both cuts.

Think I might pick up the collection anyway since I only own the DC and have never seen any of the other films in the set.

dream demon 3rd August 2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 170884)
Does anyone know if the Warriors on The Walter Hill collection is the original cut or the director's cut with the comic-book inserts etc?

Here's the link:

Walter Hill Collection [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but thanks for the link as that does look like a great set. :)

Baseball Fury 5th August 2011 05:07 PM

Does anybody own any of the Troma bluray releases? The only ones I know about are Poultrygeist, Nuke 'Em High, Mothers Day and Tromeo and Juliet.

If you do own them, are they region free?

Pete 5th August 2011 05:09 PM

I have TROMEO AND JULIET and POULTRYGEIST and they are region free. :)

platostotal 5th August 2011 05:21 PM

Perving over Milla jovovich in the new three Musketeers flick got me thinking of Richard Lester's 70s Musketeers duo, any idea when/if they are up for a Blu-Ray release?

Daemonia 6th August 2011 02:11 AM

The BD I have of The Warriors is Hill's new, preferred cut. Yes, it looks stunning, but it's not the original version I'm used to. So I also have the DVD of the theatrical version.

Daemonia 6th August 2011 02:13 AM

On an upnote, though, the UK BD of Payback has both versions on it, unlike the US BD. Both cuts in HD.

Paul@TheOverlook 7th August 2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 171974)
On an upnote, though, the UK BD of Payback has both versions on it, unlike the US BD. Both cuts in HD.

Transfer of the theatrical cut looks no better than SD to me, but at least it's included and uncut for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daemonia 8th August 2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 172360)
Transfer of the theatrical cut looks no better than SD to me, but at least it's included and uncut for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I see. I've only watched the Director's Cut thus far. Still, like you say, at least it does include the theatrical cut (which I actually think is superior to the DC).

bdc 8th August 2011 09:10 PM

Anyone knows what the Japanese Beam Entertainment dvd of The Crazies (original) is like? ;)
Open matte,optional subs?

Prince_Vajda 9th August 2011 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 172686)
Anyone knows what the Japanese Beam Entertainment dvd of The Crazies (original) is like? ;)
Open matte,optional subs?

If it's the release below, you'd probably get English soundtrack (Mono), Japanese subtitles (supposedly optional), and full frame 1.33:1 aspect ratio. :fear:

Greetings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th August 2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 171003)
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but thanks for the link as that does look like a great set. :)

I can't answer the question either but am also grateful for the link as, aside from The Warriors and Southern Comfort (which I also own), I haven't seen any of those.

bdc 9th August 2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 172712)
If it's the release below, you'd probably get English soundtrack (Mono), Japanese subtitles (supposedly optional), and full frame 1.33:1 aspect ratio. :fear:

Greetings!

Yes,that's the one. ;)
I wonder if it could be open matte (like the French dvd)?