Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2011, 01:29 PM
Cult Rookie

The Warriors! In my humble opinion, not just the best film of the Seventies but the best non horror film of all time ever!
gag likes this.

http://www.thegoreconsortium.blogspot.com << My little horror blog
Old 21st September 2011, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

There are plenty of obvious ones that I and most other people in the world love, so I'll opt for some lesser known ones:

The Silent Partner - Elliot Gould & Christopher Plummer in a game of wits, as Gould's bank clerk tries to outdo bank robber Plummer.

Villain - Richard Burton as a homosexual East End gangster (was recently homaged by Alan Moore in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969)

Who? - Jack Gold directed cold war intrigue with Elliot Gould trying to uncover the truth about a metal-faced spy (or not spy).

Sorcerer - Friedkin's remake of The Wages Of Fear. I actually prefer this to the original ("Heresy!" they cry), but it's just utterly captivating from start to finish.

Les Valseues - Bertrand Blier's dark comedy buddy movie with an utterly captivating Gerard Depardieu is simply fantastic.

Live Like A Man, Die Like A Cop - has one of the best motorbike chases ever committed to celluloid. Blatant misogyny aside, Ruggero Deodato's Eurocrime flick is pure entertainment that personifies those glorious days of 70s Italian rip offs.

Cut Throats Nine - little seen, but my favourite (not quite) Western that plays with genre and tries to turn it inside out. I'm cheating slightly as this skirts horror, but you know, rules are there to be broken.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 21st September 2011, 06:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - Ben Gazarra rawks ... and it remains the only John Cassavetes film I've seen!

Wise Blood - one of John Huston's freakier films, with Brad Dourif on fine demented form.

The Conversation - I enjoy this more with every watch, utterly engrossing, and surprisingly disturbing viewing.

Deep End - my film discovery of the year, everyone should own the new BFI disc.

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion - fever dream crazy bonkers women in prison classic, infinitely entertaining.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - Ben Gazarra rawks ... and it remains the only John Cassavetes film I've seen!

Wise Blood - one of John Huston's freakier films, with Brad Dourif on fine demented form.

The Conversation - I enjoy this more with every watch, utterly engrossing, and surprisingly disturbing viewing.

Deep End - my film discovery of the year, everyone should own the new BFI disc.

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion - fever dream crazy bonkers women in prison classic, infinitely entertaining.
Wise Blood!! a film i dont own but should, in fact im off for a look methinks... ARSE, only dvd i can find has been cut, im off to wrap myself in barbed wire and put stones in my shoes etc....

Last edited by Demoncrat; 22nd September 2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fizzing bbfcunts
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
Wise Blood!! a film i dont own but should, in fact im off for a look methinks... ARSE, only dvd i can find has been cut, im off to wrap myself in barbed wire and put stones in my shoes etc....
What about the Criterion? Has that been cut?! I don't own the film, but that's the version I'd got my eye on . . .
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
What about the Criterion? Has that been cut?! I don't own the film, but that's the version I'd got my eye on . . .
KA BLOODY CHING!! didnt know about that, hope its nae OOP as the only one i could find is the Second Sight 1, right im doubling my efforts!!! ta for the tip Jack!
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Nah it aint out of print, but, being Criterion, good luck finding a bargain on it . . .
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Nah it aint out of print, but, being Criterion, good luck finding a bargain on it . . .
like this?? tis safe as far i can see...4 minute difference between the critierion and the second sight...

Amazon.co.uk: wise blood criterion Film & TV

leave me one ahem....
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
like this?? tis safe as far i can see...4 minute difference between the critierion and the second sight...

Amazon.co.uk: wise blood criterion Film & TV

leave me one ahem....
Urgh, 20 quid And what kind of a dick would buy a used copy for 45 quid! I can vouch for both of those US sellers though - usually get my R1 dvds from them through amazon . . .
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Urgh, 20 quid And what kind of a dick would buy a used copy for 45 quid! I can vouch for both of those US sellers though - usually get my R1 dvds from them through amazon . . .
i consider that to be a bargain where criterion are considered
says the man whod still like their Eyes without a Face (cheapest ive found £35!! argh)
aye, allyourmusic have never let me down yet

Like this? Share it using the links below!