Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree342Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2011, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I absolutely ****ing hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 27th November 2011, 07:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I absolutely ****ing hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.
You are not alone.
Pete and Make Them Die Slowly like this.
Old 27th November 2011, 08:54 PM
Cult Rookie

I HATED Jaws and get furious whenever I see it listed among best Horror Films lists.
Most of Stan Brakhage's films look to me like something Beavis and Butthead could have made for art-class.
Also hate Angelopoulos (!!) and everything I've seen by Haneke to date (especially Benny's Video!).
Old 27th November 2011, 09:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
me too, ****ing hate that film.
Pete likes this.
Old 28th November 2011, 05:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I have to say that I'm not a fan of Aliens. Compared to the other three movies it's the one I enjoy the least, yep, I even prefer to watch Resurrection

After what Scott did with the first claustrophobic and tense movie, and creating that incredible style, I just though Cameron shifted too much into predictable gung-ho territory that is certainly befitting of the 80s, but went some way to lose the mystery and tenebrous feeling of the former.

Fincher's is flawed for sure, but like Scott's there is a unique style, vision and setting that rescue it from being the predictable gunfest that Cameron's was.

And I like all of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies. I love the little quirks he brings to the film and the cast is stellar: Michael Wincott, Winona Ryder, Dominique Pignon, Ron Perlman, Dan Hedaya and Brad Dourif!
And I even liked the swimming aliens.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 28th November 2011, 07:18 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last House On The Left, The Exorcist and Fight Club are the films that immediately spring to mind here.

LHOTL is just rubbish - a badly made and mean spirited farrago. No amount of tacked on murmurings about Vietnam can add any depth to it.

The Exorcist is an efficiently made film, but both boring and overblown at the same time (which I suppose is some kind of achievement!). EVen my belovéd Max Von Sydow cannot salvage any respect from me for this over-rated nonsense.

Fight Club
- well...where to start? A ridiculous idea, tedious to the point of annoyance, and more pretentious than a barrelful of sixth form philosophy students. Absolute trash that looks like a film school project with a massive budget.
Pete likes this.
Old 28th November 2011, 07:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Oh yes, and almost all Steven Spielberg films. It is easier to list the films of his that I DO like*.

*Jaws, Duel, Sugarland Express, Empire Of The Sun...I maintain a nostalgic fondness for Close Encounters... but a recent rewatch proved cringe inducing
Pete likes this.
Old 28th November 2011, 07:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Fight Club - well...where to start? A ridiculous idea, tedious to the point of annoyance, and more pretentious than a barrelful of sixth form philosophy students. Absolute trash that looks like a film school project with a massive budget.
Gojirosan, much food for thought there... Fight Club - good selection - I havn't seen the film in a few years now, but recently I was talking to someone about it and there are parts of the film that irritate me, like the "go out and start a fight" sequence which should have been left on the cutting room floor, but my biggest problem is the awful Dust Brothers soundtrack...

Speilberg is hit and miss I agree, but among his later films I would say Schindler's List and Munich are near masterpieces...

I'm a huge Michael Mann fan, and while a lot of people stick the knife in Miami Vice (I loved it), I really didn't care for The Public Enemy...
Old 28th November 2011, 07:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I didn't rate Schindler's List at all, but have never seen Munich. I was interested in seeing it, but was put off by Schindler's List (and Amistad) funnily enough: I feared how he might address another serious issue by forcing unnecessary aritficial "EPIC!" status upon it.

It's a personal thing I know, but I felt all my criticisms of Schindler's List were confirmed when The Pianist came out a few years later and showed (to my way of thinking) exactly how a film should address the Holocaust era: with tasteful dignity, free of schmaltz and lacking in frippery and gimmick. Just honest, powerful story-telling.

I will have to catch up with Munich at some point though.
Old 28th November 2011, 08:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

LHOTL is just rubbish - a badly made and mean spirited farrago. No amount of tacked on murmurings about Vietnam can add any depth to it.

Couldn't agree more!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!