Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

SymbioticFunction 12th July 2017 02:10 PM

I'm not certain that Natural Born Killers is a very fair film to use as an example, since it was very heavily rewritten. Tarantino has pretty much disowned it and has also previously criticised it , I'm led to believe.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th July 2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 541437)
I'm not certain that Natural Born Killers is a very fair film to use as an example, since it was very heavily rewritten. Tarantino has pretty much disowned it and has also previously criticised it , I'm led to believe.

That is very true, but there are many scenes and aspects which have Tarantino's fingerprints all over them, even if they were heavily rewritten and changed.

As far as his other films go, look how cool he made the hitmen Jules and Vincent in Pulp Fiction, the psychopathic Mr Blonde in Reservoir Dogs, the sociopath Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill Volume 1 and Stuntman Mike in Death Proof. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for him to do the same with Manson, but I imagine even he would have the foresight to know what a shitstorm that would unleash.

SymbioticFunction 12th July 2017 03:19 PM

Point taken but I think that it's also worth looking at the SS officer villain in Inglorious Basterds which was played by Christoph Waltz. That was an evil and very menacing character that was never played for laughs and especially not made to look cool. So it's not too difficult to imagine that Tarantino could do the same thing with a film portrayal of Charles Manson.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th July 2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 541452)
Point taken but I think that it's also worth looking at the SS officer villain in Inglorious Basterds which was played by Christoph Waltz. That was an evil and very menacing character that was never played for laughs and especially not made to look cool. So it's not too difficult to imagine that Tarantino could do the same thing with a film portrayal of Charles Manson.

The thing is, he was cool, in fact he was the best thing about the film especially in that opening scene.

SymbioticFunction 12th July 2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 541454)
The thing is, he was cool, in fact he was the best thing about the film especially in that opening scene.

I've never personally seen him as cool.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th July 2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 541457)
I've never personally seen him as cool.

In a psychopathic way he is.

He's no Steve McQueen though. :lol:

keirarts 12th July 2017 03:39 PM

I think in the tradition of pulp novels and B-movies that Tarantino comes from, characters that in real life would be considered psycopaths are given some relatability.

keirarts 12th July 2017 03:47 PM

Vic vega (mr blonde) is very cool but also incredibly dangerous. Vincent vega and Jules are both stone killers, ones a junkie, but they have lives outside of work and chat about mundane things... its part of the world Tarantino's characters operate in. Its not really Bad/Good in any traditional sense. The best villains are relateble in some way in spite of the terrible things they do. A good example recently was Michael Keatons turn as the Vulture which was one of the best villains MCU have given us. I completetly understood WHY he did things while not necessarily condoning them. Same with John Hamm in Baby driver.

Rik 12th July 2017 04:41 PM

Thing is, all the above villains come from somebody's imagination, Charles Manson and his followers are very real, I don't see how Tarantino (or anyone) could make them seem cool.

It's probably bollocks anyway, I bet he made a passing comment in an interview and it's been taken as gospel (I haven't read any of the articles that have been flying round today BTW)

Inspector Abberline 12th July 2017 05:25 PM

THE BEGUILED Trailer 2 (2017)

Hey another week another remake... might be good but Colin Farrell aint no Eastwood,Sofia certainly isn't Don Siegel, but hey the art critics are wetting themselves over it so what's a pleb like me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qusPXTQeF1g