Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3578Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2017, 02:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm not certain that Natural Born Killers is a very fair film to use as an example, since it was very heavily rewritten. Tarantino has pretty much disowned it and has also previously criticised it , I'm led to believe.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th July 2017, 02:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I'm not certain that Natural Born Killers is a very fair film to use as an example, since it was very heavily rewritten. Tarantino has pretty much disowned it and has also previously criticised it , I'm led to believe.
That is very true, but there are many scenes and aspects which have Tarantino's fingerprints all over them, even if they were heavily rewritten and changed.

As far as his other films go, look how cool he made the hitmen Jules and Vincent in Pulp Fiction, the psychopathic Mr Blonde in Reservoir Dogs, the sociopath Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill Volume 1 and Stuntman Mike in Death Proof. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for him to do the same with Manson, but I imagine even he would have the foresight to know what a shitstorm that would unleash.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Point taken but I think that it's also worth looking at the SS officer villain in Inglorious Basterds which was played by Christoph Waltz. That was an evil and very menacing character that was never played for laughs and especially not made to look cool. So it's not too difficult to imagine that Tarantino could do the same thing with a film portrayal of Charles Manson.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Point taken but I think that it's also worth looking at the SS officer villain in Inglorious Basterds which was played by Christoph Waltz. That was an evil and very menacing character that was never played for laughs and especially not made to look cool. So it's not too difficult to imagine that Tarantino could do the same thing with a film portrayal of Charles Manson.
The thing is, he was cool, in fact he was the best thing about the film especially in that opening scene.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The thing is, he was cool, in fact he was the best thing about the film especially in that opening scene.
I've never personally seen him as cool.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've never personally seen him as cool.
In a psychopathic way he is.

He's no Steve McQueen though.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict

I think in the tradition of pulp novels and B-movies that Tarantino comes from, characters that in real life would be considered psycopaths are given some relatability.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:47 PM
Cult Addict

Vic vega (mr blonde) is very cool but also incredibly dangerous. Vincent vega and Jules are both stone killers, ones a junkie, but they have lives outside of work and chat about mundane things... its part of the world Tarantino's characters operate in. Its not really Bad/Good in any traditional sense. The best villains are relateble in some way in spite of the terrible things they do. A good example recently was Michael Keatons turn as the Vulture which was one of the best villains MCU have given us. I completetly understood WHY he did things while not necessarily condoning them. Same with John Hamm in Baby driver.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 12th July 2017, 04:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thing is, all the above villains come from somebody's imagination, Charles Manson and his followers are very real, I don't see how Tarantino (or anyone) could make them seem cool.

It's probably bollocks anyway, I bet he made a passing comment in an interview and it's been taken as gospel (I haven't read any of the articles that have been flying round today BTW)
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th July 2017, 05:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default THE BEGUILED Trailer 2 (2017)

Hey another week another remake... might be good but Colin Farrell aint no Eastwood,Sofia certainly isn't Don Siegel, but hey the art critics are wetting themselves over it so what's a pleb like me know.

nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!