Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 552159)
Yes and no

I would rather have a story that relies on shock and atmosphere to scare me, but I also love films that are ridiculously over the top when it comes to gore that they become a parody of the genre - 'Bad Taste', 'Braindead', 'Evil Dead' (1983), 'Pieces' etc are so gratuitously violent that it is impossible to take them seriously, and as such they take horror film art to a new level

The four films she mentioned all have decent stories – the first three more so than Pieces. Also, I don't think the Saw films fall into the horror-comedy (or comedy-horror) category – they take themselves too seriously and aren't entertaining enough!

Susan Foreman 27th September 2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 552159)
Yes and no

I would rather have a story that relies on shock and atmosphere to scare me, but I also love films that are ridiculously over the top when it comes to gore that they become a parody of the genre - 'Bad Taste', 'Braindead', 'Evil Dead' (1983), 'Pieces' etc are so gratuitously violent that it is impossible to take them seriously, and as such they take horror film art to a new level

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 552167)
The four films he mentioned all have decent stories – the first three more so than Pieces

Actually, it's she!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 552167)
Also, I don't think the Saw films fall into the horror-comedy (or comedy-horror) category – they take themselves too seriously and aren't entertaining enough!

That was my point. Whether 'Bad Taste', 'Braindead', 'Evil Dead' (1983), 'Pieces' etc were made as comedy films is immaterial. The fact that they are so outrageous and over the top means (for me at least) they are always going to be seen as being a parody. I would also including titles such as 'Blood Feast', 'Demons', 'The Devil's Rejects', 'Zombie Holocaust', Friday 13th' et al - no one would ever describe those kinds of films as comedy, but as far as I am concerned, they overstep the mark so much, it's impossible to take them seriously

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 552168)
Actually, it's she!

Whoops! that's an unfortunate typo which has been corrected!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 552168)
That was my point. Whether 'Bad Taste', 'Braindead', 'Evil Dead' (1983), 'Pieces' etc were made as comedy films is immaterial. The fact that they are so outrageous and over the top means (for me at least) they are always going to be seen as being a parody. I would also including titles such as 'Blood Feast', 'Demons', 'The Devil's Rejects', 'Zombie Holocaust', Friday 13th' et al - no one would ever describe those kinds of films as comedy, but as far as I am concerned, they overstep the mark so much, it's impossible to take them seriously

Some of those are intended as comedy films and others, like you say, are either so OTT they are impossible to take seriously or are like that because they were made cheaply and without the world's greatest thespian talent and, whether by accident or design, they become fun films. I don't think any of the Saw movies are like that and, judging by the trailer, Jigsaw will not be any different.

bleakshaun 27th September 2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 552171)
Whoops! that's an unfortunate typo which has been corrected!

Some of those are intended as comedy films and others, like you say, are either so OTT they are impossible to take seriously or are like that because they were made cheaply and without the world's greatest thespian talent and, whether by accident or design, they become fun films. I don't think any of the Saw movies are like that and, judging by the trailer, Jigsaw will not be any different.

Saw was very interesting, the element of who's doing it, was the most fascinating part, especially when it turns out that he was in the same room as those 2 chained up. Also use of little to no gore was great as well (the foot scene was well done).
The issue is the ceos were probably going "hey lets ramp up the gore". While still using the structural element to have this whole double meaning crap at the end. Ultimately leading to what was a solid movie being sodomized and butchered to become the average gorefest you see now.
Please note, I'm probably talking utter pish but meh

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 27th September 2017 10:30 PM

As someone who used to watch Your Life In Their Hands
A very BBC 2 programme ... more or less 'Operation of the week' :lol:
Saw was nowt new. But I sought out Guinea Pig, Ebola Syndrome etc, so can't really speak :lol:
I did laugh all the way through the second one. I was meant to, aye? :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 27th September 2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 552212)
Saw was very interesting, the element of who's doing it, was the most fascinating part, especially when it turns out that he was in the same room as those 2 chained up. Also use of little to no gore was great as well (the foot scene was well done).
The issue is the ceos were probably going "hey lets ramp up the gore". While still using the structural element to have this whole double meaning crap at the end. Ultimately leading to what was a solid movie being sodomized and butchered to become the average gorefest you see now.
Please note, I'm probably talking utter pish but meh

I like the idea of something being sodomized and butchered to become average. What would you have to do to make something special?

bleakshaun 28th September 2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 552262)
I like the idea of something being sodomized and butchered to become average. What would you have to do to make something special?

Foreplay

gag 28th September 2017 09:46 PM

Personally I'm not sure its a good idea especially after the abomination of no 5 , it wasn't shit it was god dam fooking awful

Why ? Talk about milking something .

Bruce Willis to return for Die Hard 6... but with a twist

Because few of us would say no to an enormous suitcase of cash dumped on our front lawn, Bruce Willis will return to the Die Hard franchise for a sixth time, his first since 2013's A Good Day to Die Hard.

Len Wiseman, co-creator of the Underworld franchise and director of 2007's Die Hard 4.0, has been teasing the film since 2015, when he announced a title, Die Hard: Year One, on Twitter. The film will be partly set in the past, with John McClane depicted as a rookie cop in Seventies New York.

The young McClane will be played by a different actor, with Willis appearing in scenes that bookend the film. Meaning Willis can collect a hefty paycheck without actually having to stretch his legs too much.

But after being stuck in development for nearly two years, Wiseman has revealed to Deadline that production is finally underway, with casting for the role of a young Willis having already commenced. He said, "The right casting for this role is crucial..
Jai Courtney played Willis's son Jack McClane in the last Die Hard entry, 2013's A Good Day to Die Hard
The new Die Hard could also be envisioned as an attempt to reboot the franchise with a new star, following the dismal reaction to Jai Courtney's Jack McClane, John's estranged son who appeared in A Good Day to Die Hard. That film also bombed in the US, but ended up making the bulk of its profits overseas.

Willis told Showbiz Spy in 2010 (via Moviehole) that he has every intention to retire from the franchise after its sixth installment: "In the next few years they could easily find a replacement for me or call the character someone else. But for me, I want to do Die Hard 5, then one final Die Hard movie — Die Hard 6 — before finally hanging that white vest up for good.

“At the moment, I can run and I can fight on screen. But there will come a time when I no longer want to do that. That's when I'll step away from the Die Hard films."

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th September 2017 07:06 PM

The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw has made me want to see Blade Runner 2049 even more than I already did.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...nis-villeneuve

iank 29th September 2017 11:52 PM

The Limehouse Golem has suddenly come on my radar. Bill Nighy hunting a serial killer in Victorian London. Looks good.:nod: