Like Tree3589Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
There’s a bit too much of that going on these days.
I know this may seem quite odd but i really don't care.

The last new film to really give me a pre-release buzz was the mega box office smash that was The Witch. That was three years ago.

It does interest me how much Netflix will pay for these films though.

Annihilation cost $40m to make. So far it's accrued $16m in the US. Say it reaches $30m, but then has no other distribution other than Netflix, it's never going to get into profit unless Netflix stump up close to $50m for it as approx 55% of box office takings go to the studio.

I don't see how that business model can work on a regular basis.
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

With all these movies being made like 'Bright' and the likes of 'Annihilation' being snapped up expect another price hike soon. Although for how much I watch Netflix its not a bad price still at £7.99 a month. I think it was £4.99 when I first subscribed.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th March 2018, 11:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
With all these movies being made like 'Bright' and the likes of 'Annihilation' being snapped up expect another price hike soon. Although for how much I watch Netflix its not a bad price still at £7.99 a month. I think it was £4.99 when I first subscribed.
i'm sure the last price hike was to cover bright, which i think was about 100 million to make and looking at i can't see were they spent all that money!

if the sub ends up going past 8.99 i will cancel
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.
Old 4th March 2018, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
i'm sure the last price hike was to cover bright, which i think was about 100 million to make and looking at i can't see were they spent all that money!

if the sub ends up going past 8.99 i will cancel
The business model for streaming is odd. Netflix is losing money as is Amazon. It's part of a business culture that's basically a 'scorched earth policy

Essentially drive the competition out of business then take all the customers for yourself.

Netflix/Amazon ect are cheaper and more convenient than bricks and mortar stores. I can't help feeling there's a hidden cost were not seeing yet.
Old 4th March 2018, 01:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The business model for streaming is odd. Netflix is losing money as is Amazon. It's part of a business culture that's basically a 'scorched earth policy

Essentially drive the competition out of business then take all the customers for yourself.

Netflix/Amazon ect are cheaper and more convenient than bricks and mortar stores. I can't help feeling there's a hidden cost were not seeing yet.
There's probably something in that, which is a little like what Uber seemed to be trying to do in London: under cut the black cabs, driving them out of business and then hike the prices.

I don't think Netflix and Amazon Prime are setting out to destroy cinemas, or mainstream TV, but perhaps massively downgrading the market for physical media (DVD, Blu-ray, Ultra HD) is one way of driving people to stream more and buy less. That way, they create a monopoly they control.
Old 4th March 2018, 02:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
There'rs probably something in that, which is a little like what Uber seemed to be trying to do in London: under cut the black cabs, driving them out of business and then hike the prices.

I don't think Netflix and Amazon Prime are setting out to destroy cinemas, or mainstream TV, but perhaps massively downgrading the market for physical media (DVD, Blu-ray, Ultra HD) is one way of driving people to stream more and buy less. That way, they create a monopoly they control.
I know one knock on affect is that it's severely damaged the market for riskier mid budget films and is certainly jepordsing the restoration of older films. Physical media offered a way of recouping that cost.
I suppose paid digital downloads might go some way to replacing that, however what's the upper limit for pricing on that?
Old 4th March 2018, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

£10 per film, per stream.

Then just pray your broadband doesn't falter during the film.

My aim is to build up a physical collection which will keep me going for the rest of my life.

Fair enough i might miss out many years down the line on the 44th Spiderman movie but it won't be any different from the 700 Marvel universe movies that have come before it.

F*ck the streamers!
Old 4th March 2018, 02:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Then again they might go down the BARB (log in ) route where everyone watching has to pay £10.

Don't laugh. SMART tv's have webcams. They can easily find out how many are watching years down the line as tech improves (when i say improves i mean becomes more intrusive)
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th March 2018, 06:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

My aim is to build up a physical collection which will keep me going for the rest of my life.

Fair enough i might miss out many years down the line on the 44th Spiderman movie but it won't be any different from the 700 Marvel universe movies that have come before it.

F*ck the streamers!
We have Netflix and Now TV and Amazon video purely as a side effect of prime. But I will never be dependant on streaming. I like collecting. I like physical media.
Old 4th March 2018, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

F*ck the streamers!
I actually meant streaming sites not people who use them.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!