Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

Justin101 27th April 2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 573831)
I'm only intrigued by the fact Thom Yorke is doing the soundtrack

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

For some reason I was sure that it was Johnny Greenwood doing the soundtrack (possibly because he has a history of soundtracks) so I was surprised reading the article that it was Thom Yorke instead! I at least got the band right :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th April 2018 11:15 AM

I think Jonny Greenwood is a great composer and his scores for There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread are absolutely mesmerising.

It'll be interesting to see what Thom Yorke does in light of Radiohead's most recent albums and their embrace, and effective use, of electronic distortion and innovative sounds. It could be something which works really well in a film which should be a jarring and uncomfortable audiovisual experience.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th April 2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 573834)
I think Jonny Greenwood is a great composer and his scores for There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread are absolutely mesmerising.

It'll be interesting to see what Thom Yorke does in light of Radiohead's most recent albums and their embrace, and effective use, of electronic distortion and innovative sounds. It could be something which works really well in a film which should be a jarring and uncomfortable audiovisual experience.

As long as incorporates 'Witch' into his dirges it may be okay.

In my opinion the Goblin soundtrack is as important if not better than the images on screen so if this isn't excellent as well the film should be seen as a failure.

Remove Goblin from the soundtrack and give it say a run of the mill rock song one as with Phenomena and the film would drop from an all time classic in my eyes to, well, Phenomena.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th April 2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 573836)

In my opinion the Goblin soundtrack is as important if not better than the images on screen so if this isn't excellent as well the film should be seen as a failure.

The merging of sound and image in Argento's Suspiria is one of the reasons why it is so brilliant, especially with Goblin's soundtrack almost forming part of the narrative because of the various themes and words alerting the viewer to what's taking place.

I'm not really expecting anything like Radiohead, though it might be similar. Other musicians who have scored films, like Mark Knopfler with The Princess Bride, Wag the Dog and Local Hero, have done so without that music sounding anything like the band of which they are/were a member. Jonny Greenwood's composition for Phantom Thread is entirely classical and nothing like anything Radiohead have released, so anything is possible!

Justin101 27th April 2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Remove Goblin from the soundtrack and give it say a run of the mill rock song one as with Phenomena and the film would drop from an all time classic in my eyes to, well, Phenomena.

I agree that the thing which makes Suspiria work is the soundtrack, the actual story is a bit rubbish. The visuals (rubber bat aside) are really beautiful but it's that terrifying Goblin soundtrack that does it for me.

Like I said earlier though, I'm not going to judge this version on the Argento original but on its own merits as good or bad film!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th April 2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 573839)
I agree that the thing which makes Suspiria work is the soundtrack, the actual story is a bit rubbish. The visuals (rubber bat aside) are really beautiful but it's that terrifying Goblin soundtrack that does it for me.

Like I said earlier though, I'm not going to judge this version on the Argento original but on its own merits as good or bad film!

Taking in the fact you think the story is rubbish this doesn't bode well. :lol:

Justin101 27th April 2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 573843)
Taking in the fact you think the story is rubbish this doesn't bode well. :lol:

I see what you're saying, but as far as I'm aware the new film isn't a direct remake, it's (excuse the ponceyness) an homage to the original so I'd expect it to have it's own narrative.

I'm feeling very open minded today :lol:

Demoncrat 27th April 2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Preach brother!!

Susan Foreman 29th April 2018 05:08 PM

Some new pictures have been released from the Freddie Mercury/Queen biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Recreating the performance at Live Aid in 1985 with Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury), Ben Hardy (Roger Taylor), Joe Mazzello (John Deacon) and Gwilym Lee (Brian May)

A press conference for the 'Hot Space' album in 1982

Freddie being Freddie!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th April 2018 06:15 PM

I'm really looking forward to this biopic of John Callaghan, a brilliant cartoonist whose work have liked since I was about 12 years old. I have a couple of his diaries from I was at school and the compilation book 'Do Not Disturb Any Further' which I highly recommend for people with a slightly warped and dark sense of humour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwxeOzSx8A

I would assume the title comes from this cartoon, which is also the title of his autobiography:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w