LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2018, 08:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
I'm only intrigued by the fact Thom Yorke is doing the soundtrack

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
For some reason I was sure that it was Johnny Greenwood doing the soundtrack (possibly because he has a history of soundtracks) so I was surprised reading the article that it was Thom Yorke instead! I at least got the band right
bleakshaun likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th April 2018, 11:15 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think Jonny Greenwood is a great composer and his scores for There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread are absolutely mesmerising.

It'll be interesting to see what Thom Yorke does in light of Radiohead's most recent albums and their embrace, and effective use, of electronic distortion and innovative sounds. It could be something which works really well in a film which should be a jarring and uncomfortable audiovisual experience.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think Jonny Greenwood is a great composer and his scores for There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread are absolutely mesmerising.

It'll be interesting to see what Thom Yorke does in light of Radiohead's most recent albums and their embrace, and effective use, of electronic distortion and innovative sounds. It could be something which works really well in a film which should be a jarring and uncomfortable audiovisual experience.
As long as incorporates 'Witch' into his dirges it may be okay.

In my opinion the Goblin soundtrack is as important if not better than the images on screen so if this isn't excellent as well the film should be seen as a failure.

Remove Goblin from the soundtrack and give it say a run of the mill rock song one as with Phenomena and the film would drop from an all time classic in my eyes to, well, Phenomena.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 27th April 2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:31 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

In my opinion the Goblin soundtrack is as important if not better than the images on screen so if this isn't excellent as well the film should be seen as a failure.
The merging of sound and image in Argento's Suspiria is one of the reasons why it is so brilliant, especially with Goblin's soundtrack almost forming part of the narrative because of the various themes and words alerting the viewer to what's taking place.

I'm not really expecting anything like Radiohead, though it might be similar. Other musicians who have scored films, like Mark Knopfler with The Princess Bride, Wag the Dog and Local Hero, have done so without that music sounding anything like the band of which they are/were a member. Jonny Greenwood's composition for Phantom Thread is entirely classical and nothing like anything Radiohead have released, so anything is possible!
Old 27th April 2018, 11:34 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

Remove Goblin from the soundtrack and give it say a run of the mill rock song one as with Phenomena and the film would drop from an all time classic in my eyes to, well, Phenomena.
I agree that the thing which makes Suspiria work is the soundtrack, the actual story is a bit rubbish. The visuals (rubber bat aside) are really beautiful but it's that terrifying Goblin soundtrack that does it for me.

Like I said earlier though, I'm not going to judge this version on the Argento original but on its own merits as good or bad film!

Old 27th April 2018, 11:49 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I agree that the thing which makes Suspiria work is the soundtrack, the actual story is a bit rubbish. The visuals (rubber bat aside) are really beautiful but it's that terrifying Goblin soundtrack that does it for me.

Like I said earlier though, I'm not going to judge this version on the Argento original but on its own merits as good or bad film!
Taking in the fact you think the story is rubbish this doesn't bode well.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:29 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Taking in the fact you think the story is rubbish this doesn't bode well.
I see what you're saying, but as far as I'm aware the new film isn't a direct remake, it's (excuse the ponceyness) an homage to the original so I'd expect it to have it's own narrative.

I'm feeling very open minded today

Old 27th April 2018, 12:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Preach brother!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2018, 05:08 PM
Cult Master

Some new pictures have been released from the Freddie Mercury/Queen biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Recreating the performance at Live Aid in 1985 with Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury), Ben Hardy (Roger Taylor), Joe Mazzello (John Deacon) and Gwilym Lee (Brian May)

A press conference for the 'Hot Space' album in 1982

Freddie being Freddie!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th April 2018, 06:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm really looking forward to this biopic of John Callaghan, a brilliant cartoonist whose work have liked since I was about 12 years old. I have a couple of his diaries from I was at school and the compilation book 'Do Not Disturb Any Further' which I highly recommend for people with a slightly warped and dark sense of humour.

I would assume the title comes from this cartoon, which is also the title of his autobiography:

Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 29th April 2018 at 07:26 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!