Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3578Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2018, 07:45 PM
Cult Master

Bloody Disgusting's Summer 2018 Horror Movie Preview! - Bloody Disgusting

Films discussed:

Upgrade – June 1

There’s perhaps no better way to kick off the summer season than the latest by Leigh Whannell (Saw, Insidious). Set in the near-future where technology has pervaded nearly every aspect of life, technophobe Grey (Logan Marshall-Green) is forced to rely on an experimental computer chip named Stem when his world is turned upside down. A high-octane sci-fi action thriller injected with the humor Whannell is known for makes Upgrade (review) a perfect fit for its summer season release.

Hereditary – June 8

There’s no other horror film as highly anticipated as the latest from A24, and release is finally just around the corner. Following the Graham family as they uncover terrifying secrets about their family history in the wake of the death of their family matriarch, our own Fred Topel has called the film “psychologically and viscerally grueling,” while Trace declared that it “rewards your patience with nightmare fuel.” It sounds like one not to be missed.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – June 22

Whether you loved or hated 2015’s Jurassic World, its follow up seems to be doing everything right to entice horror fans. Director J.A. Bayona has promised to take the sequel back to the horror roots of the original, and emphasized the practical effects-heavy nature of the film. And the reveal of Jeff Goldblum in the trailers is an instant win. Set four years after the events of the last film, Owen (Chris Pratt) and Clair (Bryce Dallas Howard) mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs when Isla Nublar’s dormant volcano roars to life. Emphasis on the dino action.

The First Purge – July 4

This tried-and-true summer staple of horror returns in prequel form, with the most appropriate release on America’s most patriotic holiday. Exploring the events that lead to the first annual Purge, we can expect that writer/series creator James DeMonaco will once again go right for the jugular of its political themes, especially if the ballsy marketing is any indication. While Frank Grillo won’t be returning, producer Andrew Form has promised a new badass protagonist worth rooting for.

Unfriended: Dark Web – July 20

Eschewing supernatural teen angst for something much, much darker, this Blumhouse sequel opts for terrifying realism when 20-something Matias brings home a used laptop to use for connecting with friends for a Skype game night. The original owner, however, is not only watching him, but willing to do anything to get it back. Our own Trace has proclaimed that this sequel is “brutal and downright cruel.”

Summer of ’84 – August 3 (limited)

From the minds that brought cult hit Turbo Kid comes an ‘80s set murder mystery with teenage friends on the case. Leaning heavily into nostalgia, Summer of ’84 seems to draw inspiration from the likes of The ‘Burbs, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and of course “Stranger Things.” Our own Fred Topel states that the “serial killer element means business,” while it hits the “sweet spot” of nostalgia.

The Meg – August 10

Is there anything more quintessentially summer than shark movies? Or in this case, a pre-historic 75-foot-long shark. The marketing has been killer (pun totally intended), and Jason Statham’s presence promises an action-heavy summer romp. While the PG-13 rating means we won’t get any shark carnage, I should probably remind you that The Shallows also had a PG-13 rating, and it was still a lot of tense fun.

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich – August 17 (limited)

This gonzo reboot is heavy on the gore and offensive humor, that there’s no way in hell it would pass with an R-rating. With gonzo kills that could easily win the prize for best kill scenes in modern horror, it would be a shame to trim any of that out. Luckily, the Cinestate production team refuses to cut a moment out, and it will get released unrated. The downside means that theatrical release will be limited. That’s still a huge win for horror, though, this crowd pleaser should be sought out on the big screen (review).

The Happytime Murders – August 17

Proving that August 17 should be marked as a national holiday for warped, adult takes on puppets, this R-rated comedy revolves around a puppet cast of a beloved ‘80s show getting murdered one by one. The trailer shown at CinemaCon elicited strong reactions, with boasts that it would be an “instant cult classic.” The film stars Elizabeth Banks, Melissa McCarthy, Joel McHale, and Maya Rudolph, so heavy prominence on the comedy. But R-rated puppet murder sounds intriguing.

Slender Man – August 24

Sony Screen Gem’s release about the infamous creepypasta revolves around four high school girls as they attempt to debunk the existence of the thin, tall faceless figure known as Slender Man. When one of the girls goes missing, they realize that maybe there’s more fact than fiction to the lore. While the initial trailer indicated a by-the-numbers teen horror, it’s late summer slated release may hint there’s more to this creepypasta than meets the eye. The film stars Joey King (The Conjuring, Wish Upon) and horror favorite Javier Botet as the titular Slender Man.

The Little Stranger – August 31

Based on Sarah Waters gothic ghost story of the same name, this quiet haunter is set in the 1940s as a doctor is called to a countryside estate, where he discovers its inhabitants may be haunted by an ominous presence. Starring Domhnall Gleeson, Charlotte Rampling, Will Poulter, and Ruth Wilson, and directed by Lenny Abrahamson (Room), will likely lean heavily into the gothic moodiness of the source material. So far, not much has been revealed about the film, which means a higher potential that this release date isn’t set in stone.

Mandy – TBD

Nicolas Cage is a busy actor, and probably has about 50 films slated for release this year. So, if you must choose only one, make it Panos Comsatos’ latest. Set in 1983, Cage plays Red Miller, a broken man hunting down the religious sect who slaughtered the love of his life. From what we can tell, vengeance will be downright bloody. Our own Fred Topel has stated that Mandy is “an intense two hours,” and teases that “Cage could hold his own with Bruce Campbell, Gunnar Hansen and Chow Yun-Fat as chainsaw warriors.” There’s no set date yet, but RLJE Films has slated Mandy for a summer theatrical release.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th May 2018, 09:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A friend posted this on my wall on fb

The Guy Who Brought You ?The Human Centipede? Is Back With A New Movie - LADbible

The Guy Who Brought You ‘The Human Centipede’ Is Back With A New Movie

There are plenty of ****ed up films that make you question how the hell they managed to get past the original pitch. Most people would agree that a series that definitely fits that bill is The Human Centipede - created by Tom Six.

Well it looks like Sixy isn't done with shocking audiences around the world with his messed-up ideas.

Nearly a decade since the first Human Centipede film debuted, the filmmaker is back with a new film titled The Onania Club. Now, you won't be alone in wondering what the hell type of 'club' this would specifically entail.

The word onania is an old word for masturbation, as well as the pull-out method that some attempt during sex, aka ejaculating outside the vagina so as to ensure no kids are created. (Unsurprisingly, experts tend to advise against this method, because it's stupid.)

It stems from the Bible in the Book of Genesis in a weird story where some bloke named Onan tries the 'onania' trick so he doesn't impregnate his brother's wife. Don't ask me why he was banging his sister-in-law, that's just where the word comes from.

So taking that understanding, you can probably deduce that if there's a club of people either masturbating or climaxing everywhere, you're going to get a graphic film - especially if it's created by Tom Six.

The movie is going to be set in Hollywood and will 'definitely pass the Bechdel test with flying colours'. That test asks whether 'a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man'.

The actors who have signed on so far include Jessica Morris, Darcy DeMoss, Deborah Twiss, Karen Strassman, and Flo Lawrence.

According to Six, The Onania Club will be 'one of the most vile, inhumane movie experiences of all time'. Great - just great.

He's released a poster for the project which looks like an altered version of the Venus symbol for woman with the caption 'Come and See, See and Come'.

Unfortunately they're the only bits of information released so far and it will be very interesting to see the trailer when it drops. IMDb says the movie should be released in America this year but that's about as specific as it gets.

That's not the only film he's juggling at the moment either, as fans can expect to see another film entitled Enjoy some time next year. While that word might have positive connotations, we can safely assume that with Tom Six at the helm it will be far from a cheery watch.

Six said that it will be 'hilariously perverse, set in Europe' - how joyful.
Old 26th May 2018, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seen Gaspar Noe's new trailer?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th June 2018, 01:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

First teaser trailer for the new Suspiria film

http://youtu.be/ylmDXfTA8rg

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 4th June 2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added additional YouTube link for computers
Old 4th June 2018, 01:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
First teaser trailer for the new Suspiria film
That looks visually fascinating with the palate, framing and sets creating something which looks both new and familiar. I hope the soundtrack is equally as impressive.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th June 2018, 01:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I imagine the score will get loads of complaints from people who dislike Thom Yorke/Radiohead, and compare it to Goblins outstanding work on the original, pointless really because that will never be topped
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th June 2018, 01:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I imagine the score will get loads of complaints from people who dislike Thom Yorke/Radiohead, and compare it to Goblins outstanding work on the original, pointless really because that will never be topped
Yeah, it's a no-win situation with the Thom Yorke soundtrack. If it's similar to Goblin's music, it'll be criticised as inferior; if it's very different, then it'll be criticised for being 'wrong' for a Suspiria film.

I know it's not the same, but I can't remember any complaints about the soundtrack for Antoine Fuqua's Magnificent Seven because of any similarities or differences to Elmer Bernstein's classic score.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th June 2018, 06:41 PM
Cult Addict

I think Yorke will do enough, that's all I'm rooting for

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th June 2018, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween trailer is due on Friday too
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th June 2018, 06:04 PM
Cult Master

Jared Leto’s Joker Is Getting His Own Movie (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!