Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3589Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm going to see this film – Free Solo – on Tuesday, and it looks like it could be really emotional and at times completely terrifying.

Old 3rd January 2019, 12:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm going to see this film – Free Solo – on Tuesday, and it looks like it could be really emotional and at times completely terrifying.

Looks good is it based on a true story ?

But itl be a walk in the park for Alain Robert the French human spiderman who will climb anything at all, sometimes with rope and safety equipment , other times just himself with nothing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Robert

Last edited by gag; 3rd January 2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's a documentary about a real climb. I wouldn't say it would be a 'walk in the park' compared to the feats by Alain Robert, but El Capitan is about 3000 feet from base to summit, so about 500 feet higher than the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building.

From Wikipedia:
"Free Solo is a 2018 American documentary film directed by Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin. The film profiles rock climber Alex Honnold, on his quest to perform a free solo climb of El Capitan in June 2017. The film premiered at the Telluride Film Festival on August 31, 2018 and also screened at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival, where it won the People's Choice Award: Documentaries. It was released in the United States on September 28, 2018. The film received positive reviews and has grossed over $12 million."
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's a documentary about a real climb. I wouldn't say it would be a 'walk in the park' compared to the feats by Alain Robert, but El Capitan is about 3000 feet from base to summit, so about 500 feet higher than the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building.

From Wikipedia:
"Free Solo is a 2018 American documentary film directed by Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin. The film profiles rock climber Alex Honnold, on his quest to perform a free solo climb of El Capitan in June 2017. The film premiered at the Telluride Film Festival on August 31, 2018 and also screened at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival, where it won the People's Choice Award: Documentaries. It was released in the United States on September 28, 2018. The film received positive reviews and has grossed over $12 million."
Either way not something I'd do by both people , some people have no fear and adrenaline junkies and good luck to them . but yes guess a walk in the park was a bit harsh and wrong kind of words

Last edited by gag; 3rd January 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 16th January 2019, 02:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A true sequel to Ghostbusters ignoring the 3 rd one

https://www.ihorror.com/jason-reitma...inal-universe/

Jason Reitman Directing New ‘Ghostbusters’ Film Set In Original Universe

The dust has barely settled from the controversial Ghostbusters (2016) reboot, but Variety reports Sony Pictures already plans to have another go at the beloved franchise. News broke that Jason Reitman (The Front Runner), son of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 director Ivan Reitman, is officially attached to direct a new Ghostbusters sequel. The film is said to be taking place in the original universe, and ignoring the 2016 reboot entirely.

Jason Reitman is also co-writing the screenplay with Gil Kenan (Monster House, Poltergeist), and Ivan Reitman’s Montecito Pictures is set to produce. They currently plan to begin filming this summer, and are shooting for a summer 2020 release.

Story details haven’t been revealed, and there is no word yet on if the original main cast will return. However, Reitman is reportedly “testing teenagers for four mystery roles,” which alludes to a passing of the torch. This makes you wonder if Sony still has aspirations to create a Ghostbusters cinematic universe, which Ghostbusters (2016) attempted to launch.

The announcement may come with mixed feelings from fans of the first two films. Sony’s Ghostbusters (2016) is hardly a distant memory, and there’s still the issue of Harold Ramis’ absence if the original crew returns. Another Ghostbusters sequel is going to require much more delicate execution this time around. Will it be a return to form, or too little too late?

What are your feelings on the new Ghostbusters movie? We’ll be sure to update you as soon as we hear more information on the film
iank likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 02:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Still not seen the 3rd one and I’ve no intention of either, I was pissed off about the trailer being in front of a film I took my kids to see because I’d avoided it up to then!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th January 2019, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

https://www.loudersound.com/news/rob...lm-3-from-hell

Well, i'm looking forward to it anyway.
Rik and Justin101 like this.
Old 16th January 2019, 04:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
https://www.loudersound.com/news/rob...lm-3-from-hell

Well, i'm looking forward to it anyway.

Me too, I’ve enjoyed every film he’s made so far, yes that includes both his Halloween films
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th January 2019, 04:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A few films I've seen trailed at the cinema recently and look as if they could be very good:

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Green Book

All Is True

bleakshaun likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 11:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
A true sequel to Ghostbusters ignoring the 3 rd one

https://www.ihorror.com/jason-reitma...inal-universe/

Jason Reitman Directing New ‘Ghostbusters’ Film Set In Original Universe

The dust has barely settled from the controversial Ghostbusters (2016) reboot, but Variety reports Sony Pictures already plans to have another go at the beloved franchise. News broke that Jason Reitman (The Front Runner), son of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 director Ivan Reitman, is officially attached to direct a new Ghostbusters sequel. The film is said to be taking place in the original universe, and ignoring the 2016 reboot entirely.

Jason Reitman is also co-writing the screenplay with Gil Kenan (Monster House, Poltergeist), and Ivan Reitman’s Montecito Pictures is set to produce. They currently plan to begin filming this summer, and are shooting for a summer 2020 release.

Story details haven’t been revealed, and there is no word yet on if the original main cast will return. However, Reitman is reportedly “testing teenagers for four mystery roles,” which alludes to a passing of the torch. This makes you wonder if Sony still has aspirations to create a Ghostbusters cinematic universe, which Ghostbusters (2016) attempted to launch.

The announcement may come with mixed feelings from fans of the first two films. Sony’s Ghostbusters (2016) is hardly a distant memory, and there’s still the issue of Harold Ramis’ absence if the original crew returns. Another Ghostbusters sequel is going to require much more delicate execution this time around. Will it be a return to form, or too little too late?

What are your feelings on the new Ghostbusters movie? We’ll be sure to update you as soon as we hear more information on the film
At this point, the only way is up. Pretty much anything would have to be better than 2016.

Like this? Share it using the links below!