Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

Justin101 16th December 2015 08:40 AM

That's a much better song as well :lol:

profondo rosso 16th December 2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 471181)
Looks interesting but editing the trailer to The Beastie Boys just doesn't seem very clever :lol:

Is this because it is directed by Justin Lin the director of Fast and Furious? I will be honest and say I had to look that up, don't know him, and not seen the fast and furious films as not my cup of tea, just hope he does not stray too far from what Star Trek is all about and make it a platform for his favourite hip hop, crap...sorry, rap music and try and make fast and furious in space! I really enjoyed the last two movies and for a franchise that is further down the line than anything else movie wise, I think they have done well so far in keeping it fresh and alive. This is sacred ground to some Mr Lin not just an action fest that people forget about 5 minutes after watching it, its part of a legacy. HANDLE WITH CARE! :elfsnow:

Susan Foreman 18th December 2015 07:42 AM

16 Horror Movies To Watch Out For In 2016

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th December 2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 471367)

They begin by saying 2016 will be a "big year for horror movies" due to the following "macabre delights" but, at #7 on the list is Rings, the third instalment in the American telling of Koji Suzuki's story (adapted in Japan to greater effect by Hideo Nakata), and starring Johnny Galecki (of The Big Bang Theory fame). To say I'm not excited about that is a huge understatement.

If that's amongst the best we can hope for next year, the outlook is bleak – and not in a good way.

keirarts 20th December 2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 471370)
They begin by saying 2016 will be a "big year for horror movies" due to the following "macabre delights" but, at #7 on the list is Rings, the third instalment in the American telling of Koji Suzuki's story (adapted in Japan to greater effect by Hideo Nakata), and starring Johnny Galecki (of The Big Bang Theory fame). To say I'm not excited about that is a huge understatement.

If that's amongst the best we can hope for next year, the outlook is bleak – and not in a good way.

The thing with the RINGU franchise is the American adaptations are more faithful. Thing is being faithful to the source does not make a good film as the Japanese found with Spiral. Ever heard of it? Its actually the second ring film and it bombed as its far too long and ponderous. The reason Ringu worked so well is Nakata stripped away all the extraneous nonsense and focused on scaring the shit out of his audience. Thats why the first Ring film is still the scariest.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th December 2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 471590)
The thing with the RINGU franchise is the American adaptations are more faithful. Thing is being faithful to the source does not make a good film as the Japanese found with Spiral. Ever heard of it? Its actually the second ring film and it bombed as its far too long and ponderous. The reason Ringu worked so well is Nakata stripped away all the extraneous nonsense and focused on scaring the shit out of his audience. Thats why the first Ring film is still the scariest.

I know exactly what you mean about Spiral, which I think is interesting, but not a patch on the other films in the Japanese series. A good parallel between the films and the book would be what Stanley Kubrick and Diane Johnson did with The Shining, stripping it down to the barest elements and hinting at some character traits and previous events rather than making them part of the narrative. This meant the film is much more scary and memorable than the TV miniseries which, although creepy at times, is a little ponderous.

MacBlayne 20th December 2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 471185)
Is this because it is directed by Justin Lin the director of Fast and Furious? I will be honest and say I had to look that up, don't know him, and not seen the fast and furious films as not my cup of tea, just hope he does not stray too far from what Star Trek is all about and make it a platform for his favourite hip hop, crap...sorry, rap music and try and make fast and furious in space! I really enjoyed the last two movies and for a franchise that is further down the line than anything else movie wise, I think they have done well so far in keeping it fresh and alive. This is sacred ground to some Mr Lin not just an action fest that people forget about 5 minutes after watching it, its part of a legacy. HANDLE WITH CARE! :elfsnow:

The thing about Justin Lin is, he's quite talented. Films like Better Luck Tomorrow and Finishing the Game prove that he can direct actors and tell a story competently. It's a shame that he got stuck doing those god-awful Fast & Furious films as they have kept from doing other projects. In fact, it's a shame everybody got stuck doing those films as everybody involved has shown in other films that they can be good.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th December 2015 06:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJmcN7MPCk

Make Them Die Slowly 30th December 2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 472564)

I have been following this one for awhile.

Inspector Abberline 1st January 2016 01:36 PM

bad gramps

Can this be the very same man who brought us Jake La Motta , Vito Corleone and James Conway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ctaXQbEqIM