Like Tree3578Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2019, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

https://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=14529

Apocalypse Now: Final Cut Announced

Francis Ford Coppola's Masterpiece With New Version, 4K Master & Sound

For the film’s 40th anniversary, Francis Ford Coppola presented us with a new version of his anti-war film Apocalypse Now (1979). He himself calls it Final Cut. But if he wants to follow Oliver Stone's example, he can make an Ultimate Cut after the Final Cut in a few years. After Alexander's "final" 3rd version, Stone added a fourth, "Ultimate" version. But this is another story and can be read here in the comparison.

The story of Apocalypse Now starts with a 289-minute workprint version of the film, which was released on VHS a long time ago, but never officially released. It was made before the Cannes premiere in 1979. There, Coppola showed a shorter "work-in-progress" version of the film, which lasted about 3 hours and won the Palme d’or, the highest award of the film festival. Afterwards, the director shortened the film by many scenes and so, in the autumn of 1979, the official theatrical version came to the cinemas with a runtime of only about 147 minutes.

There were also differences regarding the credits. There is a version without credits in the early 70mm version that has only a copyright notice. For the 35mm version there were real credits, which were placed over recordings of explosions and the burning jungle. But when Coppola found out that moviegoers thought that Willard had ordered an air strike on Kurtz's base in the jungle because the scenes suggested it to viewers, he changed the credits and now you can only see classic white text on a black background.

In 2001, the so-called Redux version had its premiere at Cannes. The film reached a runtime of 196 minutes and is therefore even longer than the first Cannes version. Even though Coppola has had the privilege of having final cut for his films since The Godfather (1971), - i.e. in principle he can bring the version to cinemas that he wants to screen there -, he always tried to take suggestions from the studio, the financiers and foreign distributors into consideration. And what did these parties often dislike? Films that run very long. This often diminished the success at the box office due to fewer screenings during the day.

So, the director shortened Apocalypse Now, more than he himself thought was optimal. Coppola also realized that the film wasn't necessarily mainstream and removed scenes for the 1979 theatrical version that seemed a bit stranger to a "normal" audience. But cinema and audience continue to develop and with time crazy ideas become normal. Therefore, many years later, Coppola re-inserted most of the scenes because he didn't consider them to be so strange anymore. But here he exaggerated according to his own statement in the Deadline report linked below and added more than he thinks makes sense today. Details about the Redux version can be found in our detailed comparison.

The latest version, the Final Cut, will have its premiere on April 28, 2019 at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York. The film was rescanned from the original negatives in 4K resolution. In addition, it has been upgraded with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos and should look and sound better than ever before. For this version, Coppola was now looking for the optimal film length somewhere between the 147 minutes of the theatrical version and the 196 minutes of the Redux version. We will know after the premiere what has been removed from the film or what other changes were made.
Old 10th April 2019, 05:52 AM
Cult Master

'Grease' Prequel 'Summer Loving' in the Works | Hollywood Reporter

"...However, in the early part of the movie 'Grease', in a he-said/she-said manner, Zuko and Olsson both recount to their friends a summer fling they had via the song "Summer Nights." Zuko’s tale is more graphic, while Olsson’s is much innocent and wistful.

The prequel's story is said to tackle that fateful meeting."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th April 2019, 09:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

How wrong is it that I'm in two minds about going to see the new Avengers film on release day (I'm off work that week) because the running time is 182 minutes

I don't know if I should just wait a few months and watch it at home haha... 3 hours plus adverts plus trailers....

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th April 2019, 09:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
How wrong is it that I'm in two minds about going to see the new Avengers film on release day (I'm off work that week) because the running time is 182 minutes

I don't know if I should just wait a few months and watch it at home haha... 3 hours plus adverts plus trailers....
I'm exactly the same, must be an age thing
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th April 2019, 10:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

Na, can't be an age thing. I'm probably one of the oldies on this site and I can't wait. I'll happily sit through this length of film. The longer the better.
If cinemas were not so greedy there would be an intermission like there used to be and people could go to the loo or stretch there legs for 10 mins.
Rik, Justin101, trebor8273 and 1 others like this.
Old 10th April 2019, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran

I'd be happy to go if there was an intermission
It's not the length of the film so much as knowing that as soon as you take a sip of your drink you'll be dying for the toilet when everything starts getting exciting!

Old 10th April 2019, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Vue are showing Infinity War and Endgame as a double bill, starts at 8:30pm and finishes at 3:10am, even though there's obviously a break between the films, I don't think I could sit there all that time!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th April 2019, 10:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Had my tickets booked for a couple of weeks,as with Odeon limitless it only cost me £5 for the recliner seats, so a lot more comfortable with more leg room, but it would be nice for a intermission.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 10th April 2019, 11:02 AM
Cult Master

I think it was John Waters who said that the ideal length for a film is 85 minutes

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th April 2019, 11:05 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I think it was John Waters who said that the ideal length for a film is 85 minutes
He's a wise man!
He also famously said, if you ever pick someone up in a bar and go back to their place for sex, if they have no books leave immediately

Like this? Share it using the links below!