Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

Nordicdusk 5th January 2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 473010)
Cineworld is apparently not screening Tarantino's The Hateful Eight in the UK

Looks like I wont be seeing Tarantino on the big screen because Cineworld (who own Picturehouse (my local)) have thrown their toys out of the pram due to Odeon Leicester Square showing a 70mm print. Even though we have an Odeon in town it's always full of ruffians and I'd rather not go there!

On my first viewing i was not impressed. I seem to be in the minority in my thinking but i felt some scenes were just dragged out for the sake of it. I really enjoyed Django but that suffered from some dragging in parts also.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 473010)
Cineworld is apparently not screening Tarantino's The Hateful Eight in the UK

Looks like I wont be seeing Tarantino on the big screen because Cineworld (who own Picturehouse (my local)) have thrown their toys out of the pram due to Odeon Leicester Square showing a 70mm print. Even though we have an Odeon in town it's always full of ruffians and I'd rather not go there!

I won't be seeing it for a while either. As I have a Cineworld Unlimited card, I'm loath to pay money to another cinema chain when things could be resolved in a fortnight and Star Wars has mostly gone away. I read something like that happened previously, possibly with one of the Mission: Impossible films. I would like to think enough pressure from customers, sponsors and people like Harvey Weinstein and Quentin Tarantino would force some sort of resolution in order to maximise profits and ensure as many people see it as possible it's having enough problems going up against Star Wars anyway.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2016 08:07 PM

When I do see The Hateful Eight, I hope it's brilliant. However, I am prepared for three hours of Tarantino's favourite actors being characters rather than as characters (there's a distinction) spouting dialogue with sounds cool and references films Tarantino months.

The basic premise sounds very similar to Reservoir Dogs, only about twice the length!

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th January 2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 473023)
When I do see The Hateful Eight, I hope it's brilliant. However, I am prepared for three hours of Tarantino's favourite actors being characters rather than as characters (there's a distinction) spouting dialogue with sounds cool and references films Tarantino months.



The basic premise sounds very similar to Reservoir Dogs, only about twice the length!


Think Reservoir Dogs crossed with The Thing, with Kurt Russell doing his best Duke Wayne impression, and you're pretty much there. Almost 3hrs long (non roadshow version), and I didn't find that it dragged for a single second. Walton Goggins, who I've been a huge fan of since he came to fame as Shane Vendrell in The Shield, steals the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2016 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 473033)
Think Reservoir Dogs crossed with The Thing, with Kurt Russell doing his best Duke Wayne impression, and you're pretty much there. Almost 3hrs long (non roadshow version), and I didn't find that it dragged for a single second. Walton Goggins, who I've been a huge fan of since he came to fame as Shane Vendrell in The Shield, steals the film.

I hope it's as good as you say, and better than Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained which I a few scenes aside found dull, overlong, and self-indulgent

Rik 5th January 2016 08:47 PM

I'm a big Tarantino fan, so I'm looking forward to seeing it and in reply to Gags post, I've enjoyed all the Transformers films too, so I'm looking forward to that as well, don't get all the hate Michael Bay gets tbh

Justin101 5th January 2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 473018)
I won't be seeing it for a while either. As I have a Cineworld Unlimited card, I'm loath to pay money to another cinema chain when things could be resolved in a fortnight and Star Wars has mostly gone away. I read something like that happened previously, possibly with one of the Mission: Impossible films. I would like to think enough pressure from customers, sponsors and people like Harvey Weinstein and Quentin Tarantino would force some sort of resolution in order to maximise profits and ensure as many people see it as possible it's having enough problems going up against Star Wars anyway.

I seem to remember something similar happening with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, but for different reasons, that time it was to do with Disney wanting to release the DVD sooner than the cinemas would have liked!

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th January 2016 08:53 PM

Up and Coming Films
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 473035)
I hope it's as good as you say, and better than Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained which I a few scenes aside found dull, overlong, and self-indulgent


It does have all his trademarks, including jumping between in time to show what happened (only in one scene if I recall), and even has a voiceover to tie it together. Although, I felt really stupid after because I had no idea it was Tarantino himself doing the voiceover (much preferrable to him appearing onscreen).

iank 5th January 2016 08:58 PM

I'm kind of finding Tarantino films hard to rewatch (Pulp Fiction aside). Loved Inglourious Basterds at the cinema but found it hard to get through since and I enjoyed Django at the cinema too but have felt no desire to rewatch it since.:confused:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 473037)
I seem to remember something similar happening with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, but for different reasons, that time it was to do with Disney wanting to release the DVD sooner than the cinemas would have liked!

That can't have been a delay and Cineworld, because I saw Alice in Wonderland at Cineworld during the opening week.

It could have been a similar squabble which was resolved prior to release and I didn't hear about at the time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.