Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

gag 11th May 2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651872)
I always thought it was a short term thing anyway. To be fair the pricing has probably been off putting for a lot of people anyway, £15-20 for a RENTAL of a movie. Might be ok for a family film if you're sitting down with a few people, it's cheaper than a trip to the cinema, the car parking, the snacks etc. If you're a film fan who usually goes on your own (me) that's 2-3 times more than a ticket.

I'm looking forward to seeing films on the big screen again, I have missed it. Doubt I'll be rushing back next week though.

True, our vue cinema if remember correctly is £5, now that’s a sensible price for one person, and at that price shouldn’t put people off going, I’m looking forward to going back.

Susan Foreman 11th May 2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

I'm looking forward to seeing films on the big screen again, I have missed it. Doubt I'll be rushing back next week though.

Probably not if you are in Wales!

Covid: Wales cinema rules 'impractical and unnecessary'/ BBC News

"Only a "small minority" of cinemas in Wales will be able to reopen next week under current restrictions, according to an industry trade body.

Phil Clapp, chief executive of the association which represents 90% of the industry including big cinema chains, said because many cinemas were licensed for the sale of alcohol it meant Welsh officials had "lumped them in" with pubs and restaurants.

Under Welsh government guidelines the following rules will apply to cinemas:
- Customers will have to be seated while ordering and buying food and drink
- Even if customers use the QR code system to "check in" and register their details, they will still have to collected by the venue
- The venue is also expected to verify details by asking people for photo ID, for example a passport or driving licence
- The time customers leave the cinema will also have to be recorded"

Justin101 11th May 2021 09:54 AM

Last time I checked Liverpool isn't in Wales :lol: ;)

I'm pretty sure that our Odeon is re-opening as soon as it can, not sure about the smaller chain cinemas we also have an Everyman and a Picturehouse in the city centre. They only seem to be showing films which have already been on VoD so it might be a while until I'm tempted back.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

I always thought it was a short term thing anyway. To be fair the pricing has probably been off putting for a lot of people anyway, £15-20 for a RENTAL of a movie. Might be ok for a family film if you're sitting down with a few people, it's cheaper than a trip to the cinema, the car parking, the snacks etc. If you're a film fan who usually goes on your own (me) that's 2-3 times more than a ticket.

I didn't realise you had to pay extra to watch say Wonder Woman 1984. I presumed if you got Netflix then the film came free as part of your £8 monthly sub.

Justin101 11th May 2021 12:16 PM

No, I wish! You have to rent it from the likes of iTunes or Amazon and then you have 48hrs to watch it, some platforms allow one viewing, others as many times as you like in the rental period.

Then you have Disney+ where you pay for a subscription to access their platform and then they charge you £15.99 to watch Mulan. So people were splitting the costs with friends and family and sharing the login details, all of which is against the ToS for the membership etc.

I think we're going to go into a lull now, I doubt that the major studios have been producing the massive tent-pole films and it'll be a while before anything is finished and we'll be just getting more lo-key and medium budget movies for a while.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651886)
No, I wish! You have to rent it from the likes of iTunes or Amazon and then you have 48hrs to watch it, some platforms allow one viewing, others as many times as you like in the rental period.

Then you have Disney+ where you pay for a subscription to access their platform and then they charge you £15.99 to watch Mulan. So people were splitting the costs with friends and family and sharing the login details, all of which is against the ToS for the membership etc.

I think we're going to go into a lull now, I doubt that the major studios have been producing the massive tent-pole films and it'll be a while before anything is finished and we'll be just getting more lo-key and medium budget moves for a while.

Coming up you've go Cruella (28 May) A Quiet Place II (June 3rd), Freaky and Censor (25th June) whilst Black Widow and Fast and Furious 9 open early July.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651886)

I think we're going to go into a lull now, I doubt that the major studios have been producing the massive tent-pole films and it'll be a while before anything is finished and we'll be just getting more lo-key and medium budget movies for a while.

I was pleased to be able to watch Nomadland without paying extra, something I did yesterday, because it was included in the Disney+ subscription my brother has taken and shared with the rest of the family. If I had to spend £15 for a 48-hour rental, I wouldn't have been prepared to spend that money.

Justin101 11th May 2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 651890)
I was pleased to be able to watch Nomadland without paying extra, something I did yesterday, because it was included in the Disney+ subscription my brother has taken and shared with the rest of the family. If I had to spend £15 for a 48-hour rental, I wouldn't have been prepared to spend that money.

I'm going to watch that at some point was it good?

To be honest, I can't see many people renting a film like Nomadland on Disney+ unlike something like Onward or Mulan which were huge films, I'm really surprised actually that Soul was just given as part of the Subscription, but it was on Christmas Day so they must have done it as like a gift?!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651892)
I'm going to watch that at some point was it good?

I thought Nomadland was brilliant, yes, a thoughtful and poignant character study. It features a stunning performance from Frances McDormand which fully deserved every plaudit, including the Best Actress Oscar. It's a film I intend to watch again, probably next week, and again later this year.

I can't say whether it deserved the Best Picture Oscar only because I haven't seen The Father, Judas and the Black Messiah, Minari, or Promising Young Women. (I have seen Mank, Sound of Metal, and Trial of the Chicago 7, and Nomadland is as good as any of them.)

Dave Boy 11th May 2021 06:27 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Godzilla V Kong at the cinema.