Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th June 2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 653112)

"...If you swapped out Dwayne Johnson with Johnny Depp’s Captain Sparrow, Jungle Cruise would look like the latest Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, splashing the film with a supernatural element and a villain that steers this boat right into eco and body horror territory..."

Looks fun. Paul Giamatti automatically makes it partly good.

Looks a nice artwork by Drew Struzan. I bet original posters are not cheap to come by.

gag 15th June 2021 10:26 AM

V/H/S 4

https://www.screenrant.com/vhs-4-horror-movie-reboot/

V/H/S 4 Will Reboot The Horror Franchise
Bloody Disgusting's anthology-style horror franchise V/H/S will be getting a reboot with a fourth installment in the series to be called V/H/S/94.

The anthology-style horror franchise V/H/S will be getting a reboot with a fourth installment in the series, V/H/S/94. The series uses the idea of found VHS tapes interconnected by a framing narrative to showcase several short horror films dealing with zombies, aliens, the occult, alternate dimensions, and more.

The first V/H/S premiered at Sundance in 2012 with the second film in the series, V/H/S 2, released in 2013 and the third installment V/H/S: Viral in 2014. In 2016, a segment from the first film titled 'Amateur Night' was adapted into the feature-length spinoff film, Siren. A four-episode mini-series was released in 2018 on Snapchat’s Snap Original platform.

According to THR, V/H/S/94 will be the first in the horror series to be presented as a single, fluid narrative, with each section linked together, as opposed to the previous format of unrelated tails framed in an external story. David Bruckner, whose film The Night House was picked up by Searchlight Pictures out of Sundance and who also signed on to the recently announced Hellraiser remake, has written and developed V/H/S 94 and will also produce the film. Radio Silence, a Los Angeles based directing trio who, along with Bruckner, contributed to the first V/H/S film with the segment '10/31/98' have also signed on to produce installment four.

Others stepping into the producer role include co-creators of the franchise and owners of horror website Bloody Disgusting Brad Miska and Tom Owen. Raven Banner Entertainment will be introducing the project to potential buyers at the Virtual Cannes Market this week. Michael Paszt, James Fler, and Andrew T. Hunt will serve as executive producers. Simon Barrett (writer You’re Next, The Guest), Indonesian horror creator Timo Tjahjanto (Netflix’s The Night Comes for Us), and newcomer Chloe Okuno have all been announced as directors on the project. The producers are reportedly also in talks with other filmmakers. No cast information is available at this time.

The new construction of the piece will be an interesting shift from the previous formula and could serve to tell a more detailed narrative. The previous installments of V/H/S all focused on the premise of a cache of cursed tapes (some being cross-referenced in different films) that make the viewers go insane, ending in tragedy and for some, continuing the curse of the tapes. Installment three, with the introduction of cell phones, seems to fulfill this mandate with the cursed videos going ‘viral’ as the title suggests.

The use of ’94 could be a hint as to the next installment’s premise and even indicate an origin story for the videos. 1994 was in the height of the VHS era, and handheld cameras were a common feature in people’s homes. The continuous narrative could be a way to explain who made the videos and why. However, since it's described as a reboot, there is a chance V/H/S/94 is not related to the existing films.

gag 17th June 2021 06:55 AM

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/40...en-of-the-corn

Elijah Wood Still Wants to Reboot NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and CHILDREN OF THE CORN
Let's test him out on CHILDREN OF THE CORN and then we'll see about ELM STREET

Elijah Wood has been killing it behind and in front of the camera for years now. And today we hear that he still wants to reboot Wes Craven’s A Nightmare on Elm Street and Stephen King’s Children of the Corn.

Wood tells ComicBook.com: “We, personally, have talked a lot about, internally, Elm Street and how incredible it would be to play in that universe again and see that universe, to see Freddy [Krueger] and just that concept be explored again. That’s something that we’re fascinated in. Obviously, that is not a lesser-known, smaller thing that should be remade into a big one. But another one that I feel is exciting, I know that there’s already a remake coming out, but we still really love Children of the Corn. I feel like that would be an exciting thing to … from the ground up, taking it from the novel, not remaking the movie, but actually take the short story and flesh that out in an interesting way.”

iank 17th June 2021 07:51 AM

Or you could... y'know... come up with something original instead, eh lad? :rolleyes::tongue1:

Dave Boy 17th June 2021 09:25 AM

^ Right on!

gag 17th June 2021 10:07 AM

That’s why I don’t mind directors like

Ari Aster
Robert eggers
Jordan peele

I know all 3 have only made 2 films but at least they are trying to
out something different and new instead of the same old same old tired out thing. etc.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th June 2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 654408)
That’s why I don’t mind directors like

Ari Aster
Robert eggers
Jordan peele

I know all 3 have only made 2 films but at least they are trying to
out something different and new instead of the same old same old tired out thing. etc.

Ari Aster practically remade The Wicker Man and called it Midsommar.

Jordan Peele practically remade The Skeleton Key and called it Get Out

Whilst Robert Eggers made one superb film and one borefest about wanking, farting lighthouse keepers.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th June 2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654415)
Hmm. Let's see.

Whilst Robert Eggers made one superb film and one borefest about wanking, farting lighthouse keepers.

Midsommar is more like Tarkovski's The Sacrifice than The Wicker Man, but it's still an original work.

I get the similarities between The Skeleton Key and Get Out, though I think the latter is the better, more unsettling, and thought-provoking of the two.

As for The Lighthouse, I thought it was brilliant and will probably watch it again next week.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th June 2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 654417)
Midsommar is more like Tarkovski's The Sacrifice than The Wicker Man, but it's still an original work.

I get the similarities between The Skeleton Key and Get Out, though I think the latter is the better, more unsettling, and thought-provoking of the two.

As for The Lighthouse, I thought it was brilliant and will probably watch it again next week.

I watched The Lighthouse once. Didn't review it anywhere though, and i can't remember a thing about it other than how i summed it up in my post above.

I'll have to give it a rewatch as it seemed so disappointing in comparison the The Witch.

gag 17th June 2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 654415)

Problem is just about every film gets compared to another film nowadays , how many films like or similar to wickerman have been made. It’s hard now to make a film without being compared to something else, at least they’re not making the same old tired same old same old and at least trying to be different or come up with something new. I’d say at least 75% of the film market for years is
Marvel / dc / superhero
Remakes, reboots, spin off / sequel, Micheal bay style shite,

How many films fall into the Annabelle , conjuring universe
How many fast and furious films are there now ?
How many mission impossible films can make before running out of steam
And still churning out stuff like Chucky, Hellraiser, aliens etc .
And how many films are connected to marvel and DC superhero universe,
List is endless.

so it’s a nice change to see something that doesn’t fit into any of them categories.