Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3589Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2016, 06:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Surely that's still a current profit of $46m?? seems mad that thats considered a failure.
Still got to add digital and blu/ DVD sales which I'm sure nowadays is were more money is made.

How much doses it have to make to be a suucess . most moves aren't going to make over 500 million or even double what it cost to make
Old 21st August 2016, 06:53 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Surely that's still a current profit of $46m?? seems mad that thats considered a failure.
‘The Force Awakens’ takes over $2 Billion, Is considered a Box Office Failure
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st August 2016, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm I the only person who thinks avatar is overrated ? First time I loved it but each time I watch it I like iess and less, if you add inflation etc I wonder how much older films like star wars have made
Old 21st August 2016, 06:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Still got to add digital and blu/ DVD sales which I'm sure nowadays is were more money is made.

How much doses it have to make to be a suucess . most moves aren't going to make over 500 million or even double what it cost to make
I thought conventional wisdom was a film had to make double the budget to break even; that equates to the costs of making the film and publicising it (the bigger the production costs, the bigger the publicity budget), but whether this extends to the home cinema market is something I'm not so sure about.

However, the home video market is tiny compared to how it was when Blockbuster was somewhere many would go on a Friday evening so people could sort out their entertainment for the weekend.

Because of how much theatre/cinema chains charge to show films, a vast amount of money has to be put aside for that. As such, something like Spectre, which cost $250 million to make, had to bring in $650 million just to break even and begin making its backers a profit.

This is interesting reading:

When Does a Movie Break Even at the BoxOffice?

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 21st August 2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 21st August 2016, 07:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I'm I the only person who thinks avatar is overrated ? First time I loved it but each time I watch it I like iess and less, if you add inflation etc I wonder how much older films like star wars have made
No, you aren't. I thought it was visually stunning, and the effects superb, but the 'Smurfs in space' story was laughable, and some of the dialogue was cringeworthy.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 21st August 2016, 07:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's nowhere near profit unfortunately. Nos explained it well a couple of posts back.
J Harker likes this.
Old 21st August 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That headline is a right load of rubbish. It didn't tank at all. Just because it didn't beat Avatar does not mean it tanked.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 21st August 2016, 07:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That headline is a right load of rubbish. It didn't tank at all. Just because it didn't beat Avatar does not mean it tanked.
I thought the piece was sarcastic in its use of the words 'failure' and 'tanked', something illustrated by the number of records it holds outlined at the bottom of the article. I think they are saying it only 'tanked' when compared to the box office success of Titanic and Avatar, the latter of which it may go on to beat.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st August 2016, 07:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought the piece was sarcastic in its use of the words 'failure' and 'tanked', something illustrated by the number of records it holds outlined at the bottom of the article. I think they are saying it only 'tanked' when compared to the box office success of Titanic and Avatar, the latter of which it may go on to beat.
Possibly, though i didn't read it that way as nowhere at all have i read that it was considered less than an outstanding success so suggesting it tanked in an article seemed like headline grabbing out of nothing nonsense.
Old 21st August 2016, 09:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Don't be silly, the press would never do that.

Like this? Share it using the links below!