LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2016, 09:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Possibly, though i didn't read it that way as nowhere at all have i read that it was considered less than an outstanding success so suggesting it tanked in an article seemed like headline grabbing out of nothing nonsense.
I don't doubt that it is clickbait using a headline to attract attention because the story is basically saying what a huge success Star Trek Beyond has been, and continues to be.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st August 2016, 09:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't doubt that it is clickbait using a headline to attract attention because the story is basically saying what a huge success Star Trek Beyond has been, and continues to be.
Now that's very sarcastic.
Old 21st August 2016, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

how many times have you read so and so low budget film that only cost 8million to make, made 33 million has been hailed a success that a sequel will follow.
So any film that makes over a hundred million + over all the cost can be classed a success surely?
Or am i missing something?

Its just typically proves that everything now is all about money, and more they make the more greedy they get the less satisfied they are.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
how many times have you read so and so low budget film that only cost 8million to make, made 33 million has been hailed a success that a sequel will follow.
So any film that makes over a hundred million + over all the cost can be classed a success surely?
Or am i missing something?

Its just typically proves that everything now is all about money, and more they make the more greedy they get the less satisfied they are.
I think it's all to do with the bottom line, with films which are cheap to produce and cinemas willing to show for a small fee potentially making a huge profit against major studio films costing hundreds of millions of dollars and having cinemas demanding more money because of 3-D projectors, D-Box seats and other expenses, plus everything that goes into trailing the film at cinemas, on TV, posters for buses, bus stops, buildings and in cinemas (also major plastic or cardboard displays in theatre foyers, special cups, and other promotions) eating into the profit margin potential of something like a Star Trek, Marvel, or Disney film.

Of course, with a known commodity, you don't need the same level of marketing when the 'consumers' at cinemas are already brand aware and just need to be told there is a new film from that series/franchise – the expenditure is all about launching the brand in the first place.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think it's all to do with the bottom line, with films which are cheap to produce and cinemas willing to show for a small fee potentially making a huge profit against major studio films costing hundreds of millions of dollars and having cinemas demanding more money because of 3-D projectors, D-Box seats and other expenses, plus everything that goes into trailing the film at cinemas, on TV, posters for buses, bus stops, buildings and in cinemas (also major plastic or cardboard displays in theatre foyers, special cups, and other promotions) eating into the profit margin potential of something like a Star Trek, Marvel, or Disney film.

Of course, with a known commodity, you don't need the same level of marketing when the 'consumers' at cinemas are already brand aware and just need to be told there is a new film from that series/franchise – the expenditure is all about launching the brand in the first place.
Made me recall an anecdote from Kit Harrington.

I can't remember where from, perhaps on Graham Norton's chat show or even Empire.

Harrington was talking about filming Spooks: The Greater Good on location in London, however they had to keep stopping the cameras as double decker buses kept passing with Harrington's image on them promoting Pompeii which was hitting cinemas at the time.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
plus everything that goes into trailing the film at cinemas, on TV, posters for buses, bus stops, buildings and in cinemas (also major plastic or cardboard displays in theatre foyers, special cups, and other promotions) eating into the profit margin potential of something like a Star Trek, Marvel, or Disney film.
I always assumed the publicity/advertising was accounted for in a films budget.
Old 21st August 2016, 11:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Unfortunately not.

That's why Bond films have so many corporate partners. Pays for the films being made.
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:06 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
There are really two different budgets: production and publicity/distribution.

It's one thing to get a film made and quite another to get it in cinemas.
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
There are really two different budgets: production and publicity/distribution.

It's one thing to get a film made and quite another to get it in cinemas.

You would think that some film could sell themselves with little advertising. Because of what the film is.
And others i think go overboard, to extend their in youre face and you're sick of hearing about it 3months before it even hits the cinema, so no wonder it cost them a fortune.
Yet others sell them self, little unknown films with hardly any advertising but do reasonable ok, from all the film critics and reviews in papers and magazines.
Its a funny old world..
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
You would think that some film could sell themselves with little advertising. Because of what the film is.
And others i think go overboard, to extend their in youre face and you're sick of hearing about it 3months before it even hits the cinema, so no wonder it cost them a fortune.
Yet others sell them self, little unknown films with hardly any advertising but do reasonable ok, from all the film critics and reviews in papers and magazines.
Its a funny old world..
One might reasonably expect that a big budget film from a well-known franchise – the next Avengers movie, for example – would need very little in the way of publicity, but do you really think Marvel/Disney wants to take the risk of people going purely due to word-of-mouth? I don't, and believe they want as much exposure as possible to guarantee bums on seats and as many watching the film in cinemas as possible.

In terms of counter-programming, smaller movies rely on word-of-mouth, adverts in magazines, on radio, and TV, using a relatively small budget to reach the target audience (those not interested in whatever blockbuster is going to dominate the cinemas at the time) with minimal financial outlay.

Like this? Share it using the links below!